Douglas Kerbside Recycling and Waste Collection Survey

Amadeus

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Because my bin needs to be moved to the bottom of an unadopted lane, I contacted the council and was told it started on the 26th but they couldn't tell me the rota, I'd just have to leave my bin outside someone else's house and wait for it to be emptied. Then I'd know the rotation. Fat chance of me remembering week on week. My bin was emptied on the 26th, so I thought that was the first of the new regime. It now seems that my full bin won't be collected next week and I'll have to wait until the following week! 

I then pointed out that I'm disabled and don't want to be trapsing up and down an uneven lane in the hope it had been emptied. Was told that they'd send an application for a red bin lid, still waiting a fortnight later!

It seems strange that they didn't proactively let anyone know about the actual date. Yes it was on their website but surely they are not so stupid that they think anyone looks at their website. Maybe I missed the notification and I am in common with all the thousands of other residents who have put their bins out as normal this week. They are all still out. I think peeps think they are just late this week.

Its not going to be a success this, I can tell you. 

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

It seems strange that they didn't proactively let anyone know about the actual date. Yes it was on their website but surely they are not so stupid that they think anyone looks at their website. Maybe I missed the notification and I am in common with all the thousands of other residents who have put their bins out as normal this week. They are all still out. I think peeps think they are just late this week.

Its not going to be a success this, I can tell you. 

So they didn't send a leaflet out with the Courier then?

Its all your fault guys, they've been talking about it for ages:

Fortnightly collections for domestic household waste have started, were you ready? You can’t have missed it; we’ve been talking about it an awful lot to make sure we’re all on the same page!
Don’t forget that if your bin hasn’t been collected this week it will be the next. You can check which week you are on our website http://www.recyclenow.im/
Please contact refuse@douglas.gov.im should you have any questions and don’t forget that if your bin isn’t collected this week, it will be the next!
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

So they didn't send a leaflet out with the Courier then?

Well, the Courier goes straight in the bin in our house but I read it online and can't recall seeing anything, but that's no measure. Our binnies call Tuesday mornings and as of this morning all my neighbours bins were still out so they didn't get the message either. Advice last night from DBC was the collection starts Monday. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, quilp said:

Well, the Courier goes straight in the bin in our house but I read it online and can't recall seeing anything, but that's no measure. Our binnies call Tuesday mornings and as of this morning all my neighbours bins were still out so they didn't get the message either. Advice last night from DBC was the collection starts Monday. 

So despite Douglas now being a City, nothing's changed and they've still managed to screw up?

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

So despite Douglas now being a City, nothing's changed and they've still managed to screw up?

Well it did take my street by surprise, everyone did what they normally do on a Monday night/Tuesday morning, they put their bins out, which indicates that the message was lost in the ether.

Between both my next-door neighbours, they have 7 kids, and 3 adults, every week their bins are full and occasionally accompanied by several black bags which the binnies take away (don't think the binnies are obliged but they do. Great bunch o'lads), how they'll manage on the 2-week collection, I don't know. 

• Like 1

Very poor on the PR message you would have thought a leaflet with last weeks collection saying thats it for 2 weeks , similar to the Christmas collection information , 

We haven't seen a courier for years and not on facebook  but the bastards expect me to pay almost £1000 in rates for a second class service , Oh I see there putting the decorations up for Christmas , burning more energy ,contributing to global warming ,  you cant fathom this council policy out anymore , 

37 minutes ago, quilp said:

Well it did take my street by surprise, everyone did what they normally do on a Monday night/Tuesday morning, they put their bins out, which indicates that the message was lost in the ether.

Between both my next-door neighbours, they have 7 kids, and 3 adults, every week their bins are full and occasionally accompanied by several black bags which the binnies take away (don't think the binnies are obliged but they do. Great bunch o'lads), how they'll manage on the 2-week collection, I don't know. 

I’m not in Douglas thankfully but on recycling in many European countries & I think some Uk towns if you’re waste us not sorted into various bins eg metal, glass, food waste etc then they don’t collect anything!!

It would seem odd to have the general refuse truck take 'green waste', the idea being to compost this waste for further use???

So many suppositions, DCorp are probably doing their best to handle their waste in the best economical and  environmental way posss???

When they don't do anything, then we can critisise!!!

5 hours ago, quilp said:

Yes. That's a good point. They seem to think that reducing the collections is directly related to the amount of waste. It isn't. Its I'll thought out and very badly communicated. 

I cant believe that at my time of life I find myself how I am going to manage with no bin for the next 6 days. What a fiasco

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, Lurking said:

It looks like Braddan has now voted with its feet to a commercial recycling company. I wonder what service standards have been agreed?

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/new-kerbside-recycling-deal-605748

It’s every 2 weeks as before except it’s a Wednesday rather than Thursday & they’ve collected today as scheduled, bins are still emptied every week on Tuesday. That’s for Braddan 

4 hours ago, Lurking said:

It looks like Braddan has now voted with its feet to a commercial recycling company. I wonder what service standards have been agreed?

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/new-kerbside-recycling-deal-605748

According to the comments, Douglas terminated the contract as it is too busy.

Be interesting to know who is paying, as elsewhere Recycle Collect operate as a fee charging service to households.  Nothing wrong with that, or if it is paid for by Braddan, just would be good to know. 

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

According to the comments, Douglas terminated the contract as it is too busy.

Be interesting to know who is paying, as elsewhere Recycle Collect operate as a fee charging service to households.  Nothing wrong with that, or if it is paid for by Braddan, just would be good to know. 

Heard from DBC bin crew that the recent ACO at the depot decided not to retender for Braddan as wants to concentrate on Douglas first.