Douglas Kerbside Recycling and Waste Collection Survey

Amadeus

37 minutes ago, 2bees said:

You could be fined, I think it’s £2000 for not bringing your bin in, I saw it on the side of a bin wagon and have been worried about it ever since.

I recall reading something similar some years ago.   In my neighbourhood the residents leave their bins for emptying on their driveways, so they don't obstruct the pavements etc.  However, when the bins are emptied, the refuse collectors often return the bins to the pavement, and not the driveways, which then causes an obstruction for anyone using the pavements.  In those situations, it appears the property owner would be liable for leaving their bin out, whereas if the refuse collectors returned it to where they got it from, there wouldn't be an issue, other than the emptied bins creating an unsightly vista.

3 hours ago, 2bees said:

You could be fined, I think it’s £2000 for not bringing your bin in, I saw it on the side of a bin wagon and have been worried about it ever since.

Is that perhaps a Douglas bylaw? I don't live in Douglas and I've never seen or heard anything about a fine in my area. My bin doesn't obstruct anything so I don't know what the point would be.

Some of my neighbours have worse things in their front gardens than a bin. If they're worried about aesthetics I could direct them to worse offenders than me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mysteron said:

I recall reading something similar some years ago.   In my neighbourhood the residents leave their bins for emptying on their driveways, so they don't obstruct the pavements etc.  However, when the bins are emptied, the refuse collectors often return the bins to the pavement, and not the driveways, which then causes an obstruction for anyone using the pavements.  In those situations, it appears the property owner would be liable for leaving their bin out, whereas if the refuse collectors returned it to where they got it from, there wouldn't be an issue, other than the emptied bins creating an unsightly vista.

I'll jump into my time machine once again and regale you with a tale of my childhood.

We lived in Douglas, our bin was located in the backyard with no back door, like all of our neighbours. Access was through the living room, down a flight of stairs, through a cellar to the yard. The dustmen would come through the front door with a zinc bath, empty the contents of the bin, which was largely ash from our open fire, where we burned a lot of rubbish (including tin cans, as the burning of the tin prevented soot build up in the chimney), and carted it back through the house to the, quite small, bin wagon, parked down the road. The 'rubbish was mostly ash, very little else, and it drove away in a cloud of dust. At the time, the rubbish dump was at Kewaigue, adjacent to the golf course where the brewery is now, there was another on the NSC site if I recall? There was certainly a lot of ash lying around back lanes in those days!    

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, 2bees said:

They should put them back, you're right. I had presumed it meant you weren't to leave the bin at the front of your house, oooh I'm going to mix it up be wild and leave my bin in front of the yard gate this week... all week - W I L D!

Is there a reward offered for grassing bin mavericks up? Asking for a friend

54 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I'll jump into my time machine once again and regale you with a tale of my childhood.

We lived in Douglas, our bin was located in the backyard with no back door, like all of our neighbours. Access was through the living room, down a flight of stairs, through a cellar to the yard. The dustmen would come through the front door with a zinc bath, empty the contents of the bin, which was largely ash from our open fire, where we burned a lot of rubbish (including tin cans, as the burning of the tin prevented soot build up in the chimney), and carted it back through the house to the, quite small, bin wagon, parked down the road. The 'rubbish was mostly ash, very little else, and it drove away in a cloud of dust. At the time, the rubbish dump was at Kewaigue, adjacent to the golf course where the brewery is now, there was another on the NSC site if I recall? There was certainly a lot of ash lying around back lanes in those days!    

Luxury! You were lucky, etc. etc.

• Haha 2

• 3 months later...
27 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Apparently we save money by reducing services, according to the Corpy. Bin collections fortnightly from April:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world/europe/isle_of_man

The gardens and the bin collections were the best bits about living in Douglas. I’m sure there are many other ways to save cash in Douglas. 

It will save them £25k.... the rates increase will bring in way more than £25k... 

They should be concentrating purely on core services which people pay them to provide. Stop all the grandiose schemes like new amenity sites and changing rooms. 

• Thanks 1

The savings come from the amount the EFW facility is changing us. Green waste costs about half of what black bin stuff costs at the gate. This is not a reduced service and the cuts headline by the BBC is wrong. The same amount of refuse is being collected but instead of 600,000 general refuse and 100,000 green refuse loads, it might now be 400,000 and 200,000 or more. This type of thing is totally normal in loads of other places and we’ve been years behind on this. It’s good for the environment and saves money. It’s an improvement over current conditions as recycling rates go up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Amadeus said:

The savings come from the amount the EFW facility is changing us. Green waste costs about half of what black bin stuff costs at the gate. This is not a reduced service and the cuts headline by the BBC is wrong. The same amount of refuse is being collected but instead of 600,000 general refuse and 100,000 green refuse loads, it might now be 400,000 and 200,000 or more. This type of thing is totally normal in loads of other places and we’ve been years behind on this. It’s good for the environment and saves money. It’s an improvement over current conditions as recycling rates go up. 

You haven't thought it through at all. Take all those lanes off Woodbourne Road man, loads of flats, they're already minging, you're about to make them much worse. Fortnightly collections can work in rural areas, but not in cramped downtown places.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

This is not a reduced service and the cuts headline by the BBC is wrong.

26 refuse collections a year would appear to be a reduction form 52 refuse collections in a year.

If the Council have such a poor grasp on numbers this could explain why the finances are such a mess! 

All you're going to see is more fly tipping and increased use of the amenity site. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2