Douglas Kerbside Recycling and Waste Collection Survey

Amadeus

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

You haven't thought it through at all. Take all those lanes off Woodbourne Road man, loads of flats, they're already minging, you're about to make them much worse. Fortnightly collections can work in rural areas, but not in cramped downtown places.

Perhaps they're hoping to create that authentic 'city stench' you get in places like Liverpool and London (you know that sort of sewer odour?) to bolster the bid for city status? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

26 refuse collections a year would appear to be a reduction form 52 refuse collections in a year.

If the Council have such a poor grasp on numbers this could explain why the finances are such a mess! 

All you're going to see is more fly tipping and increased use of the amenity site. 

Or you need to take your mask off as it clearly obscures your eyesight. The same amount of refuse is being collected. One week black bin, one week green. People have to recycle more and do something we did 20 years ago in Germany. That’s how far behind we are in this. It saves money and is good for the planet. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Or you need to take your mask off as it clearly obscures your eyesight. The same amount of refuse is being collected. One week black bin, one week green. People have to recycle more and do something we did 20 years ago in Germany. That’s how far behind we are in this. It saves money and is good for the planet. 

But people have to be trained and guided into this mindset, how are you intending to do it?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

But people have to be trained and guided into this mindset, how are you intending to do it?

There will be some comms to explain things. Then we trust that the people of Douglas are smart enough to adapt to the new way of doing things. Failing that, I will put on my best Lederhosen and personally visit every household that complains to perform a one hour medley of David Hasselhoff's greatest hits. 

This is a joined effort between the council and the residents of Douglas to do things in a better way. A way that is already common practice elsewhere and has been for many, many years. A way that also saves us money. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Amadeus said:

There will be some comms to explain things. Then we trust that the people of Douglas are smart enough to adapt to the new way of doing things. Failing that, I will put on my best Lederhosen and personally visit every household that complains to perform a one hour medley of David Hasselhoff's greatest hits. 

This is a joined effort between the council and the residents of Douglas to do things in a better way. A way that is already common practice elsewhere and has been for many, many years. A way that also saves us money. 

that really made me laugh out loud.

• Thanks 1

Lived in a London Borough that moved to fortnightly collections in the 90s, alternating with recycling collections.   People were similarly bothered, but it worked.  The only difference is that you filled the recycling bin with everything bar glass and didn't have to sort it.

With recycling, I reckon I could go three weeks to a month without a collection of non-recyclable waste. 

The only thing I would ask of DBC is that they provide appropriate recycling containers; those boxes with the brittle plastic shower caps are just not fit for purpose.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

There's a weekly bin collection and a weekly refuse collection at present.

How is this not a reduction?

Just because it's done in Germany doesn't mean it should be done here. Chalk and cheese. 

Edited by 0bserver
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 0bserver said:

There's a weekly bin collection and a weekly refuse collection at present.

How is this not a reduction?

Just because it's done in Germany doesn't mean it should be done here. Chalk and cheese. 

Honestly, if you do recycle it is manageable.  All you are doing is splitting your waste between recyclable and non-recyclable.   If you don't recycle, then you have a problem.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Whiskey said:

I recycle using the kerbside service, the Creamery one (when it finally gets going) and use a compost bin in my garden. This is still paying more for a reduced service. 
I wonder what the results of the survey were? 

Can you explain how it is a reduced service?  Recycling is collected fortnightly.  If you do recycle, then you have a weekly collection, just what they take away alternates. 

Not an eco-warrior, but have been through the similar arguments over 20 years ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Nein danke to you - a recently elected unopposed councillor.  Maybe you should just go back to Germany then if it is so far ahead of here. Who do you think you are to patronise us . WHY am I paying a vast amount of rates and you are increasing them by a further 3.7% while halving my bin collections - the only thing this household values at all from your bloated services? 

You have lost our potential future votes - I may even help to campaign against you. 

Sod you. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1