Douglas Kerbside Recycling and Waste Collection Survey

Amadeus

27 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Can you explain how it is a reduced service?  Recycling is collected fortnightly.  If you do recycle, then you have a weekly collection, just what they take away alternates. 

Not an eco-warrior, but have been through the similar arguments over 20 years ago. 

Because my black bin will only be collected fortnightly, I.e. less often. Nothing is increasing to fill that gap. It’s that simple.

Fewer bin pickups = reduced service. Yet rates are higher. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Whiskey said:

Because my black bin will only be collected fortnightly, I.e. less often. Nothing is increasing to fill that gap. It’s that simple.

Fewer bin pickups = reduced service. Yet rates are higher. 

But you have a recycling collection, so this week you are having a recycling collection, next week you are having a non-recycling collection.  All that is happening is you are splitting what is in your bin. You are still getting a weekly collection, or have I missed something?

• Like 2

Erm i hate to burst everyone's recycling bubble but the only things taken by the corpy are cans.glass,some plastics and some types of paper products and they won't recycle fucking milk cartons. In my book thats sure as shit not a full fortnightly recycling service.

If you haven't got the ability to compost everything else goes in the bin, which with an average sized family can be filled in a day.

But hey my rates are going up again thats the most important thing to Herr councillor and his cronies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

But you have a recycling collection, so this week you are having a recycling collection, next week you are having a non-recycling collection.  All that is happening is you are splitting what is in your bin. You are still getting a weekly collection, or have I missed something?

Yes Gladys, you have missed something. That is the very simple  basic point that many of us do not use the  Corporation recycling. Often that is because we shall not be coerced into it because we see it as a huge empire building and virtue signalling white elephant. 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Cassie2 said:

Nein danke to you - a recently elected unopposed councillor.  Maybe you should just go back to Germany then if it is so far ahead of here. Who do you think you are to patronise us . WHY am I paying a vast amount of rates and you are increasing them by a further 3.7% while halving my bin collections - the only thing this household values at all from your bloated services? 

You have lost our potential future votes - I may even help to campaign against you. 

Sod you. 

Any preference for your Hasselhoff songs? 

I'm not sure how I can make this any clearer. We are collecting the same amount of refuse. There is no reduction in service. It's simply split between general refuse and recycling. Doing this is saving us money due to reduced gate fees at the EFW facility. If saving ratepayers money and doing something for the environment is a bad thing in your eyes then please go and campaign. But campaign against all of us because we're all for it. I just happen to be active here and wiling to the the flak for our decision.

As for your other comments I'm not even going to reply. It's just sad to still read things like this in 2022. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

The savings come from the amount the EFW facility is changing us. Green waste costs about half of what black bin stuff costs at the gate.

This is what it's all about, the gate charges at the EFW INCINERATOR.

It affects all LAs refuse collection charges, it's amazing just how much it costs us to give them the refuse that they burn in order to sell us electricity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Lived in a London Borough that moved to fortnightly collections in the 90s, alternating with recycling collections.   People were similarly bothered, but it worked.  The only difference is that you filled the recycling bin with everything bar glass and didn't have to sort it.

With recycling, I reckon I could go three weeks to a month without a collection of non-recyclable waste. 

The only thing I would ask of DBC is that they provide appropriate recycling containers; those boxes with the brittle plastic shower caps are just not fit for purpose.

This. And yes, the container issue is being addressed. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cassie2 said:

Yes Gladys, you have missed something. That is the very simple  basic point that many of us do not use the  Corporation recycling. Often that is because we shall not be coerced into it because we see it as a huge empire building and virtue signalling white elephant. 

Why aren't you recycling, it is dead easy?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

They don’t take much plastic. I don’t think I’ve ever successfully disposed of a plastic they like that they don’t leave in the box.

All my plastic bottles are taken.  Plastic trays, pouches, food wrap and so on can be recycled inside Tesco.  They say on the wrapper if they will take it.  

Just now, offshoremanxman said:

Tescos isn't Douglas Corpy to be fair. I never go near the place. Outside of plastic milk bottles etc they won’t take much else. 

Fair point, but I put all kinds of plastic bottles in the recycling, never had anything left behind.  The only stuff that they won't take is things like yoghurt pots, 

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

...........If saving ratepayers money and doing something for the environment is a bad thing in your eyes then please go and campaign.......

You cannot be as stupid as that makes you seem. You are reducing the only Douglas Corporation service that we actually use and want by 50% (we do not use DBC's virtue signalling and empire building vanity recycling project) and at the same time you are not in any way making ratepayer savings by reducing our rates at all. In fact, you are now adding yet further insult to injury by  increasing our rates by a further 3.7%. WTF. 

I trust that you do not have any more ideas (perhaps imported from your apparent idea of Utopia - Germany past and present) for DBC to  'save money' for the sitting duck ratepayers while in reality actually totally shafting the ratepayers - over and over and over again. 

As for your last remark about what is or is not acceptable comment in 2022, that sort of attempt at cancel censorship reeks of the then leadership with the support of vast nos of your countrymen in the 1930s and 1940s. 

And to rope in all your colleagues as sharing your views also smacks of tactics used then. Superior orders, anyone?

I believe that you do not even begin to know the full real (un)economics of Isle of Man recycling. 

You are the type who is usually one of the ridiculous anti gas exploration people despite the fact that we have decades to go before we have the slightest hope of being remotely self sufficient in green energy and meantime the economic welfare of all the people of the island would be greatly improved by taking advantage of such gas as we already own. 

I seem to recall that you achieved one of the lowest recorded votes in a General Election in South Douglas a decade or so ago. Thank goodness for us is all I can say. 

Edited by Cassie2