Douglas Kerbside Recycling and Waste Collection Survey

Amadeus

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

The economics of this change of recycling are this. It will just give the recyclers more time to spend in the Rovers on their off weeks. 

55 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Don't forget, you still can't sit outside the Rovers.

You can sit outside a roundel though. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I too fail to see how reduced collections can be dressed up as a good or even neutral thing.

But then you seem to deliberately fail to see most things on this forum. There must be a permanent Nike swoosh hovering above your head. The councilor got in unopposed. Which says it all really. Now a totally unelected public official has the chance to deliver real damage to other peoples incomes through the adaptation of lazy and unpopular policies. If he is to stand for Keys next time around (which is clear) he should be aware that when it comes to populism he can probably out “Josem” Micheal Josem with all his insincere electric car and recycling rubbish. He’s just another talentless goon riding the green wave in order to milk public opinion while simultaneously pulling peoples pants down. 

31 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Right now I have a weekly bin collection and a fortnightly recycling collection, which I use a lot. It’s going down to 2 collections per week in total from 3. Personally I’ll manage - I rarely fill the bins anyway. But it’s a reduction in service, whatever @Amadeus says. 

Your maths is out there.  It is going from 6 per month to 4.  But of the 6, only 4 are definitely going to be used - general waste. 

So, all that is being asked is that rather than fill a bin with everything for collection every week, spilt what you are throwing out between 2 bins.  Rubbish will still be collected each week, just the type of rubbish will alternate. 

I've experienced exactly that and it does work with no infestation of flies, rats or stinking piles of garbage.  TBH, the biggest hygiene threat was from foxes, but even  they could not get into wheelie bins.

To make it work there has to be the right containers for the recycling, a broad range of material has to be accepted for recycling  (although I think pretty much all of the usual materials are now accepted) and people just need to think a little before they bin stuff. 

Ain't rocket science or bone surgery. 😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Your maths is out there.  It is going from 6 per month to 4.  But of the 6, only 4 are definitely going to be used - general waste. 

Maths was correct - I mistyped ‘week’ instead of ‘fortnight’, but it’s still a 33% reduction in collections from 3 to 2, or 6 to 4, whichever way you look at it. 

As I said, I don’t mind - I don’t put glass/cans/paper in the general rubbish anyway. I don’t know why anybody does if recyclables are collected at the doorstep. But it’s obviously upsetting some people. 

Just now, wrighty said:

Maths was correct - I mistyped ‘week’ instead of ‘fortnight’, but it’s still a 33% reduction in collections from 3 to 2, or 6 to 4, whichever way you look at it. 

As I said, I don’t mind - I don’t put glass/cans/paper in the general rubbish anyway. I don’t know why anybody does if recyclables are collected at the doorstep. But it’s obviously upsetting some people. 

All due respect, but your maths was wrong.  Just like if I was to say 3 + 4 = 5, if the components are wrong, the answer is wrong.

But you can also put many plastics and cardboard in recycling, which leaves even less in general waste. Look at it another way, instead of having to haul 6 loads to the pavement each month, you are only being asked to haul 4. 

My general waste bin is rarely full now, as I have said, it could easily be emptied once a month.  But I live on my own and if all the family were home, it probably would need emptying every fortnight.  That was how it worked all those years ago, permanently with 2 adults and 2 small children, with 2 stepchildren every other weekend. 

The success of this scheme will depend heavily on whether Dlas households can fit two weeks rubbish into their black bin? ( Presuming they are already re-cycling).

Perhaps some advice on how to make the best use of the space in your bin would be timely?

EG.    If you get a new TV. leave the carton out in the rain, then crush it down to a little soggy bundle? The polystyrene packing, break in two and make sure it is not diagonal in the bin creating spaces? Not hard to do.

But, of course, this relies on the compliance of householders and that is probably where we may fail, we want everything to be easy!

When you get your Amazon delivery, make the Herpes drivers wait and give him the packaging back!!!

New bins will cost more than 25k.

7 minutes ago, Kopek said:

The success of this scheme will depend heavily on whether Dlas households can fit two weeks rubbish into their black bin? ( Presuming they are already re-cycling).

Perhaps some advice on how to make the best use of the space in your bin would be timely?

EG.    If you get a new TV. leave the carton out in the rain, then crush it down to a little soggy bundle? The polystyrene packing, break in two and make sure it is not diagonal in the bin creating spaces? Not hard to do.

But, of course, this relies on the compliance of householders and that is probably where we may fail, we want everything to be easy!

When you get your Amazon delivery, make the Herpes drivers wait and give him the packaging back!!!

New bins will cost more than 25k.

You can include cardboard in the recycling collections now,  so no need.

This is the point - the recycling containers need to be fit for purpose, there needs to be the full range of materials accepted for recycling and people need to buy in. 

28 minutes ago, Gladys said:

All due respect, but your maths was wrong.  Just like if I was to say 3 + 4 = 5, if the components are wrong, the answer is wrong.

Not sure why you’re arguing with me, we seem to be saying the same thing. Sorry for typing ‘week’ not ‘fortnight’

But since you are, perhaps I should pick you up on your use of ‘month’. Some months I might get 5 rubbish collections or on occasion 3 recycling collections. It’s not always 4 and 2.

Whatever, averaged over the year, we’re losing a third of the collections as a whole. I can easily cope with that. Large families might not. 

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

Not sure why you’re arguing with me, we seem to be saying the same thing. Sorry for typing ‘week’ not ‘fortnight’

But since you are, perhaps I should pick you up on your use of ‘month’. Some months I might get 5 rubbish collections or on occasion 3 recycling collections. It’s not always 4 and 2.

Whatever, averaged over the year, we’re losing a third of the collections as a whole. I can easily cope with that. Large families might not. 

No problem, I am not really arguing with you on the maths.   More on the focus of the number of collections (although I would wager my per month comparison is more accurate than your sums per week 🤭 ) being significant. 

All that is happening is you are splitting what you already produce into two categories, increase one and the other will fall. 

If you don't recycle now, you will have issues as actually you have only ever made use of a once a week collection as the recycling collection has passed you by.  

If you do recycle now, all the change means is, hopefully, the arrangement for storing your recycling will be better than those stupid crates with a shower cap and you will have fewer trips to your property boundary to dispose of your waste.

What I have noticed with the reduction of plastic is that more is packaged in cardboard ( eg tinned food) which, although recyclable, is far more bulky than plastic.