Douglas Kerbside Recycling and Waste Collection Survey

Amadeus

49 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

The golf course is already being looked at with a view to make it more commercially viable. At the moment the rules are too stiff on what they can actually do to run it as a proper business. I do like it though that golf is a sport for the masses here and not just for the elite. Needs to be pushed more. 

Golf is a sport?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

Agreed Dandara could get 1000 houses on there and we could have rates surplus.

I like the idea but I have a suspicion that the course is an old tip and not really suitable for building on?

If you walk down the footpath below the brewery you can see red rusty leeching from the banks below some of the golf course.

This is a great initiative and the only way to make the masses recycle. 

It's been proven time and time again that if general rubbish is collected less frequently, with recycling also being collected, people start to recycle more.

DBC make money from recycling and if lazy people won't bother unless they're forced- force them.

Give it 6 months and everyone will be used to it and putting all their recycling in the correct bin. It's win win so get over it.

Ps what a nasty piece of work Cassie2 is. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mysteron said:

Not everyone aspires to broadcast from the roundel outside the Villa Marina.

I realise you're relatively new on the Council, but any idea how such a small administration became so frustratingly complex in the first place? 

Whether easy or difficult, the solutions always seem to be the same.  Just pile another layer of bureaucracy on top of the existing numerous piles.  

The complexity probably dates back to the olden days of more councillors and wards. It's already being cut down and we all know local reform is much needed. Personally I'd be happy to be the turkey voting for Christmas and reducing the size of local government all over the island massively but there are two schools of thought about this, each with their own group of fans. 

One group thinks it should all be more centralised and we should do away with a lot or even all of the local authorities. 

The other group thinks local government should go right down to the granular level to give governance that is best suited for constituents. 

Each have valid points. Centralized may save money, but then do you really want the DOI administering all social housing? On most days, people seem to think that department's not capable of making a cup of tea, never mind looking after thousands of properties. Would local admins, like we have in Douglas, be better? 

Truth is that there's probably a realistic middle way to be found. I know a lot of us now want reform and are open to taking even drastic steps if required. Sadly you can't just run town hall like I would run a business in terms of decision making, strategy and so on. Things are moving slowly, but they sure are moving. 

2 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Each have valid points. Centralized may save money, but then do you really want the DOI administering all social housing? On most days, people seem to think that department's not capable of making a cup of tea, never mind looking after thousands of properties. Would local admins, like we have in Douglas, be better? 

That would never happen. The island's social housing stock needs to be transferred into one single Housing Association. 

One simple body to run, maintain, administrate and develop the social housing stock. Make it more suited to the needs of people who need social housing and make it more reactive. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Amadeus said:

The savings come from the amount the EFW facility is changing us.

The EFW plant charge per kilo. Picking up my bin every two weeks doesn't change diddly about how much waste I generate. And if my bin overflows the overflow goes to the amenity site, which then goes to, er, the EFW plant.

Either way, the change saves the square root of fuck all in EFW site fees.

No wonder Douglas Corpy is in such a mess if this is the sort of logic we're dealing with.

Proper recycling wheelie bins, rather than those stupid boxes, might make a difference. I had one in the UK with fortnightly collections.

Though not to me: I recycle loads, always have, but I can't recycle my baby's stinky shitty nappies. I'll enjoy those brewing for a fortnight in my wheelie bin in summer. With fortnightly collections in the UK the flies in my wheelie bin in summer were something else.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

You need to look carefully at what you are binning.  Cardboard packaging, plastic bottles etc. all can be recycled.  In fact there is a lot more that can be recycled, it is just getting into the habit. 

I had fortnightly collections in the UK, one week refuse one week recycling. My bin didn't overflow except exceptionally, like at Christmas. But I had a proper recycling wheelie bin, not the stupid plastic boxes. I also had a weekly food waste recycling collection and a monthly garden waste recycling collection, each with its own bin. I don't see DBC doing any of that. If they were, I might support it.

But the fullness of the bin is only part of the issue. Even with the recycling I do- and I do a lot- the bins were toxic in summer. Shitty nappies and cat litter being the two main issues. You can't recycle those.

7 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

The EFW plant charge per kilo. Picking up my bin every two weeks doesn't change diddly about how much waste I generate. And if my bin overflows the overflow goes to the amenity site, which then goes to, er, the EFW plant.

No wonder Douglas Corpy is in such a mess if this is the sort of logic we're dealing with.

Proper recycling wheelie bins, rather than those stupid boxes, might make a difference. I had one in the UK with fortnightly collections.

Though not to me: I recycle loads, always have, but I can't recycle my baby's stinky shitty nappies. I'll enjoy those brewing for a fortnight in my wheelie bin in summer. With fortnightly collections in the UK the flies in my wheelie bin in summer were something else.

If the recycling is going to a recycler and ultimately off island then there must be a saving?

5 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

If the recycling is going to a recycler and ultimately off island then there must be a saving?

I recycle everything that the recycling takes. It goes to the recycling box or it goes to the recycling skips at the amenity site. So what's left is stuff that can't be recycled: meat food waste, dirty nappies, etc etc.

So if the issue is EFW fees, where is the saving?

We know there's not much, it's £25k. Across everyone in Douglas it's a quid a year per person. It's not a "tough decision", it's a retarded one. Even putting up green fees at the golf club is a "tough decision" in comparison.

The Corpy spunked more than that up the wall with their employment tribunal loss last year. Not to mention the £175k they pissed up the wall on that Bee Gees statue.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

We want new and more bins, we want lower rates. Can't be, can it?

Sell off the Golf Course? What about Nobles Park, Library,  Bowling Green , Bike park and Kids Play areas? Pay just to walk thru Nobles?

Careful what you wish for.

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

The fees are different for green and general waste. Green is less than half the fee per ton of general waste. Plus there should be less refuse anyway. 

Recycling bins are coming.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I recycle everything that the recycling takes. It goes to the recycling box or it goes to the recycling skips at the amenity site. So what's left is stuff that can't be recycled: meat food waste, dirty nappies, etc etc.

So if the issue is EFW fees, where is the saving?

Not everybody bothers to recycle.  You do, I do, but I know people that put glass bottles and cans into general waste, let alone the paper and card.  If they have to start using the recycling service because the bins are getting emptied half as often, the EFW fees will reduce.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Not everybody bothers to recycle.  You do, I do, but I know people that put glass bottles and cans into general waste, let alone the paper and card.  If they have to start using the recycling service because the bins are getting emptied half as often, the EFW fees will reduce.

We need to look at the bigger picture. OK, for 2022 if there is less waste going in then the cost to the Council will be less for the year. 

That's just going to mean two things.

1) The EFW cost per ton will go up in future years to make up for the loss of revenue 

2) They will be burning even more oil in the incinerator to make up for the drop in waste (how eco friendly is that?) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

2) They will be burning even more oil in the incinerator to make up for the drop in waste (how eco friendly is that?) 

This has already been covered, there are ways to increase the waste burnt at the incinerator, such as prohibiting the unregulated burning of waste. Currently, a lot of waste is burnt in open air fires by business and individuals. 

Plastic, glass and metal doesnt burn well in any case.