Comin Class of 2021

James Blonde

I hope Michelle Heywood continues to tell her constituents what is going on and why, this way the public will have a better idea of the decisions that are made and it may cut down criticism from people who have heard half the story from Manx Radio or a half baked take from the papers who are only interested in headline fodder.  Rob fills people in with all the events that happen in Tynwald and a lot of people are interested if you are not scroll on.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Apparently they will lower the prices as soon as the market drops.

Apparently it’s already dropped. 

It’s has dropped from its peak but is still about three times what it was in january.  

I really can’t get my head around why people think this isn’t necessary.  It was investigated by an organisation setup by government who had access to all the info we don’t and who concluded that there isn’t an option and that there was no profiteering going on.

I don’t like it anymore than Anyone else, but it is unavoidable 

F00E0A50-D155-4AE5-A6D3-AD7E7D562BAC.jpeg

Edited by Ramseyboi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Who said they were going to 2bail them out". If they had to, they would have to, or have no gas for the Islands customers

The MUA get the piped gas here, IEG are very little more than resellers, managing a small domestic piped gas infrastructure. Letting IEG go bump would make little difference to anything, unless you're a partner in Ancala Partners LLP. Shame Tynwald have bowed to the belly aching from the profiteers.

I see IEG will "reconsider in six months if wholesale prices fall". Wholesale prices are dropping, they're already 70p/therm below the height. Watch this space.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

I hope in this lady ,we are not seeing another version of Rob , where every decision taken in Tynwald  is tried to be justified on social media ,  We elect people to the House of Keys  to listen to the evidence and make decisions on our behalf , we don't need a running commentary to try to justify the decision , neither do we need to know what they had for breakfast or require a daily blog , its a turnoff for most constituents ,so please learn from Robs mistakes ,

Rob's mistake was in the content of his blog, not the idea of a blog itself. Rob's was a Pooterish diary of events that happened to him. It was midly interesting once to see a day in a life of an MHK - but every week in such detail was comic. 

Making occasional blog posts to let constituents know what their thoughts on major issues - explain why they've voted in a particular way is what Rob should have been doing. I also like Stu Peters's plan to do video updates to constituents on the issues that he thinks concerns them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

I really can’t get my head around why people think this isn’t necessary.  It was investigated by an organisation setup by government who had access to all the info we don’t and who concluded that there isn’t an option and that there was no profiteering going on.

Nobody disputes the wholesale price has shot up. What people dispute is why Ancala Partners LLP should get bailed out when they have been responsible for some of the most egregious profiteering on the island.

They were happy to milk the profits when the wholesale gas price was low. The price didn't drop during Covid when wholesale gas prices went through the floor.

As always, the profits get privatised and the losses get dumped on the GMP.

• Like 5

So basically what we've done is send out a strong message to a company that has a long history of profiteering, that they are too important to us to let them go bust!

Logic would suggest that their business is going to reduce and eventually disappear in the future with the way climate change policy is going. I bet they can't believe their luck!

We already own a fully functioning utility company which no doubt duplicates much of the administration, billing and structure of Manx Gas who, without this government intervention would be almost worthless.

We could have nationalised them for next to nothing.

As it is a company which would otherwise see profits wither and die due to a move away from fossil fuels now know that the Manx Government have "no option" other than to maintain their profits until the death.  

31 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Nobody disputes the wholesale price has shot up. What people dispute is why Ancala Partners LLP should get bailed out when they have been responsible for some of the most egregious profiteering on the island.

They were happy to milk the profits when the wholesale gas price was low. The price didn't drop during Covid when wholesale gas prices went through the floor.

As always, the profits get privatised and the losses get dumped on the GMP.

But that will always be the case. The whole system is modelled on that. The consumer has to pay the price of the gas or the owner would go bust. The owner has to make profit or they go out of business. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

An interesting point but how does this help to bail out Manx Gas

It's not for Tynwald to bail out Manx Gas, just to protect IOM consumers

Energy poverty on the island has to be mitigated by developing an affordable, renewable energy production and storage capacity

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

The MUA get the piped gas here, IEG are very little more than resellers, managing a small domestic piped gas infrastructure. Letting IEG go bump would make little difference to anything, unless you're a partner in Ancala Partners LLP. Shame Tynwald have bowed to the belly aching from the profiteers.

I see IEG will "reconsider in six months if wholesale prices fall". Wholesale prices are dropping, they're already 70p/therm below the height. Watch this space.

Or unless you are an employee or customer

If they go bust who is going to run the company. The gas would have to go off.

How can you say they are just resellers. You clearly haven't a clue. They are not resellers. They run (operate and maintain)  the gas network all across the Island. Why don't you do some research before you spout nonsense.

Just now, SleepyJoe said:

It's not for Tynwald to bail out Manx Gas, just to protect IOM consumers

Energy poverty on the island has to be mitigated by developing an affordable, renewable energy production and storage capacity

That's correct and I agree completely but it is not going to happen in the next few weeks is it. In the meantime we need the gas or people will become very unhappy.

We do need the gas, we also need a plan for affordable energy from those who put themselves forward for high political office on the IOM

Ashford's promise to protect the 'lowest earners' is just bollocks, everyone but the HNW people is going to struggle with ever increasing energy costs

Start planning now

• Like 4