Comin Class of 2021

James Blonde

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Was there ever a formal Deputy CM under Quayle?  Cannan I suppose, but Quayle was always very keen to announce he was in charge - even when he was ill.

Would JPW be recognised by Tynwald as she has not been 'voted in' as deputy/acting Chief Minister? 

I have no issued with the idea of her as CM, but think it would be good if they made sure this idea is watertight, just in case Alf is abducted by aliens or something. 

The main two issues people appear to have re appointments are Treasury and DOI. Who exactly are the realistic alternatives? Hooper is possibly the only one I can think of for Treasury but then who would replace at health? Past record of LVP leaders/members is also that they don't tend to stay as Ministers for that long.

It is all very well and easy to comment that X should not have been appointed but much harder to then actually say who should have been. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

The main two issues people appear to have re appointments are Treasury and DOI. Who exactly are the realistic alternatives? Hooper is possibly the only one I can think of for Treasury but then who would replace at health? Past record of LVP leaders/members is also that they don't tend to stay as Ministers for that long.

It is all very well and easy to comment that X should not have been appointed but much harder to then actually say who should have been. 

Which boils down to us having to vote in the best of a bad bunch. How many people do you think have looked at the appointments and said "wow, fantastic choice" more than likely they have reduced it to "well at least they can't do that much damage" such is the calibre of our elected.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Was there ever a formal Deputy CM under Quayle?  Cannan I suppose, but Quayle was always very keen to announce he was in charge - even when he was ill.

Of course the most interesting new appointment will be the CoMin Member we never talk about - the Attorney General.  Quinn is already past retirement age and had his contract lengthened.  Given the way that Poole-Wilson's attempts for even modest legal reform were stymied, I can see her wanting to bring in an outsider to shake things up.

I thought the AG only represented Tynwald members now & CoMin took their own counsel

Have I got that wrong? 

15 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

I think perhaps JPW in Treasury could have been an option. 

I don't think there was a great deal of choice. The forgone conclusion was Callister but when you look at it in the cold light of day it needed someone with a bit more experience - although Crookall didn't set the world alight (unlike former DOI minsters have been known to) he did serve as Education Minister between 2012 and 2016 so has some ministerial experience. 

At best it will be a caretaking role while Tynwald and Comin (hopefully) set about dismantling the DOI empire. 

The issues with DOI can never be solved by just one Minister in isolation - it needs a pan-Government approach with some bits transferred to other departments (heritage railways need bundling with tourism and MNH in Starship Enterprise). Public sector housing needs transferring into an all-island housing authority. Highways needs hiving off into a kind of 'Highways England' agency. Ports should sit as their own agency. 

I suspect that Allinson to DfE will be to help push forward cannabis licensing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

I thought the AG only represented Tynwald members now & CoMin took their own counsel

Have I got that wrong? 

Yup.

HM Attorney General is in overall charge of Chambers and is the Accounting Officer with responsibility for the supervision of the Legal Officers in respect of their professional roles. HM Attorney General is a non-voting Member of the Legislative Council and of Tynwald and is the Chair of the Board of the Financial Intelligence Unit and attends the Council of Ministers' weekly meetings as its primary legal adviser.

Lots of fingers in pies there.

3 hours ago, James Blonde said:

I'm worried by that. He can't add up a few Covid numbers over 24 hours so when it come to taxes we're all fucked. I can see it now "the economy is not in recession, the negative economic growth is just a snapshot and not a true reflection of the overall picture". 

You mean snapshot in time, like that means anything.  Really poor choice.

1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

Best for Heath minister would probably have been Dr Allinson IMO.

Edited by Annoymouse
  • Haha 2

If I had just been made a MHK and offered DOI theres only one way I'd accept . There would have to be a management cull and CEO out the door first and a promise of continued support from CM. CS . and AG before i'd agree . There is no way its ever operating as it should unless that happens. And we all know thats not happening. More of the same it will be sadly. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I’m a bit confused, is AC creating new boards and committees for MHKs to keep them in the big tent, or to give them a pay rise on top Chris Thomas heading a Housing Board, sound like another talking shop. 

Couldn’t help but laugh, Hooperman in the DHSC. Comical is the word, will be Beecroft re-visited. There was a time when the LibLabVanMan Party would refuse a role, until Peter Karran got Education and Beecroft got DHSC. Needless to say both ended in tears and recriminations. Will the appointment of Hooperman be any different? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, James Blonde said:

I think perhaps JPW in Treasury could have been an option. 

I don't think there was a great deal of choice. The forgone conclusion was Callister but when you look at it in the cold light of day it needed someone with a bit more experience - although Crookall didn't set the world alight (unlike former DOI minsters have been known to) he did serve as Education Minister between 2012 and 2016 so has some ministerial experience. 

At best it will be a caretaking role while Tynwald and Comin (hopefully) set about dismantling the DOI empire. 

The issues with DOI can never be solved by just one Minister in isolation - it needs a pan-Government approach with some bits transferred to other departments (heritage railways need bundling with tourism and MNH in Starship Enterprise). Public sector housing needs transferring into an all-island housing authority. Highways needs hiving off into a kind of 'Highways England' agency. Ports should sit as their own agency. 

I suspect that Allinson to DfE will be to help push forward cannabis licensing. 

James, were you in a shebeen under the influence of Cannabis when you implied that Crookall could have been an option for Treasury, based on his ineffective spell in Education? Don’t forget that prior to Education (which he lacks) he was the Minister of DCCL, and along with Black bought the ‘Cabbage’, then Bell replaced him with his mate Cregeen.

Despite his confidence (or arrogance), he will be simply another victim of this out of control department. He is blagging at the moment, he will be winging it for a few months and lording it up, and then he will be found wanting, which is why Bell moved him to education 9 yrs ago. Experience is only useful if you learn from it, he will fail without doubt.

• Like 1