Comin Class of 2021

James Blonde

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

Best for Heath minister would probably have been Dr Allinson IMO.

Couldn't disagree more.

A ministers job is not to know about the area they are looking after.  A bit of knowledge of a certain area that could cloud their judgement or influence decision would be dangerous.  You need people with no axe to grind or preconceptions.

Likewise a teacher as DESC minister etc.  An awful idea

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Is that relevant in 2021?  Not everyone had the opportunity to go to uni and we should be looking at what people have achieved in life rather than how well off their parents were.

Well a lot of our politicos are from well to do stock, and all well connected families, some from the scions of Manx Political Dynasties. I’m sure some of our well pampered MHK have had a leg up, or been well connected to get that all important position, it’s who you know not what you know. No all the newbie MHKs like that of course. 

I think it is relevant whether someone has been to University or not. Granted some have achieved lots in life through hard graft and determination. Some have set up businesses, and some have been successful or some have failed. If it’s failed it’s how you have reacted afterwards, you may have gone on and created a success story. I think it’s about setting an example, a role model to future generations, someone to aspire to.

Edited by 2112

6 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Is that relevant in 2021?  Not everyone had the opportunity to go to uni and we should be looking at what people have achieved in life rather than how well off their parents were.

His achievements call into question his education/qualifications for Treasury.  He doesn't have to be an accountant, economist or hold a tax practitioner's qualification, but he is going to have to have some understanding of the functions and factors applying.  I suppose the saving grace is that there will be those who understand those things in Treasury and who can advise him.  The best we can hope for is that he takes that advice, shows some humility and doesn't decide that his own research informs him better.

Oh, and isn’t given the key to the shredder room. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

His achievements call into question his education/qualifications for Treasury.  He doesn't have to be an accountant, economist or hold a tax practitioner's qualification, but he is going to have to have some understanding of the functions and factors applying.  I suppose the saving grace is that there will be those who understand those things in Treasury and who can advise him.  The best we can hope for is that he takes that advice, shows some humility and doesn't decide that his own research informs him better.

Oh, and isn’t given the key to the shredder room. 

I wasn't talking about Ashford in particular as personally I don't even understand how he got elected never mind into COMIN.  I was meaning in general.  Should we be assuming that someone who hasn't been to uni is no good when they might well have just not ever had that opportunity.

I had to get out and earn as soon as GCSE's were done, no option at all as Mum and Dad needed me earning.  Shouldn't mean people can judge if I would be good in a position or not (not that I would put myself in their position anyway.)

Ashford at Treasury and Allinson at Enterprise really doesn't bode well for a period of growth and success.  I really hope they both prove me wrong.  At least they have had the balls to put themselves in the firing line.

As well as Chris Thomas heading a Housing Board, Dafneeee Caine is heading up a Climate Change Board. 

Are these bodies operating at arms length? Are they devising policy? 

Or like I said before is it a sop to keep people quiet and keep them onboard, to prevent both the HOK and Tynpotwald from being bombarded by pointless questions?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

I wasn't talking about Ashford in particular as personally I don't even understand how he got elected never mind into COMIN.  I was meaning in general.  Should we be assuming that someone who hasn't been to uni is no good when they might well have just not ever had that opportunity.

I had to get out and earn as soon as GCSE's were done, no option at all as Mum and Dad needed me earning.  Shouldn't mean people can judge if I would be good in a position or not (not that I would put myself in their position anyway.)

Ashford at Treasury and Allinson at Enterprise really doesn't bode well for a period of growth and success.  I really hope they both prove me wrong.  At least they have had the balls to put themselves in the firing line.

I have just worked out who you are, or more accurately narrowed it down to one of 4 people. 

Go on then, which one are you? 🙂

4ym.JPG

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, 2112 said:

As well as Chris Thomas heading a Housing Board, Dafneeee Caine is heading up a Climate Change Board. 

Are these bodies operating at arms length? Are they devising policy? 

Or like I said before is it a sop to keep people quiet and keep them onboard, to prevent both the HOK and Tynpotwald from being bombarded by pointless questions?

Oh they'll be questions - Moorhouse is still at large!

• Haha 3