Legco 2021

8 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think the problem here is what Shimmins himself identifies in that quote - that his family commitments are off-Island.  If it was just local then a good support network would mean that they could be coped with, but frequent and unpredictable periods away would be a different matter.

I'm also not convinced that scrutiny work can be done remotely unless it's all a box-ticking exercise.  I' sure the Prom looks like a triumph of engineering.  On paper.

Well I do t know.  Maybe someone can foresee family who will need a lot of support in 3 or 4 years but who should hopefully manage for the next year or so.

Maybe people should stop speculating about someone’s private life.  He had good reason not to stand for Keys and now feels able to do a year and a bit as MLC.

Maybe those convinced there is a dodgy back story should contact him and ask.  He is very approachable. 

Given the bad  press all three seem to be getting here and online in general, who would all the whingers like to see instead?

To my mind Shimmin’s and Craine are very good for the interim term that is needed.

Seeing all the hate being spouted makes it little wonder people aren’t lining up to have their whole CV made public and scrutinised and critiqued by a load of low achievers who wouldn’t dare actually step up themselves

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Well I do t know.  Maybe someone can foresee family who will need a lot of support in 3 or 4 years but who should hopefully manage for the next year or so.

Maybe people should stop speculating about someone’s private life.  He had good reason not to stand for Keys and now feels able to do a year and a bit as MLC.

Well why not just say that - and more importantly say that you only intend to serve the remainder of the term and not then stand again.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well why not just say that - and more importantly say that you only intend to serve the remainder of the term and not then stand again.

Why should he.  He explained all he had to both when he didn’t stand and then when a new completely different option became available.

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Can anyone remember how many candidates there were last time around ?

Ten initially, though Crookall withdrew shortly after and I suspect Hoosen effectively did as well.  That was for four five-year seats not two short -term ones, though as I said before if you get elected to fill a casual vacancy then you've a good chance of getting re-elected.

Each MHK can nominate for the number of vacancies and each candidate requires at least four backers, so the theoretical maximum is (24 x 2)/4 ie 12.  But it can't now be that many as some have more than 4.

Thank you Roger plenty of time for some surprise entries then, bit like the Grand National really without the excitement.    I must say I have been impressed in general by the last influx of ladies each seem to have contributed some good input into theLegCo, still do not think the Bish should have a vote hearing him speaking in the Gas debate he seems to be on another planet, perhaps a better one 😇 .

7 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Thank you Roger plenty of time for some surprise entries then, bit like the Grand National really without the excitement.    I must say I have been impressed in general by the last influx of ladies each seem to have contributed some good input into theLegCo, still do not think the Bish should have a vote hearing him speaking in the Gas debate he seems to be on another planet, perhaps a better one 😇 .

People keep saying this but most couldn’t name them all without a quick google.

Male or female shouldn’t even be a consideration.

Edited by Ramseyboi

Two of them stood in the general election and got in, the others have been on various committees and spoke well in the gas debate.   They have been hardworking and they all came from outside Tynwald.   We should not be inflicted with people like Craine who has been rejected by the voters twice or Shimmins who did not make much of a mark when he was a MHK.   Fresh blood is healthy and it worked last time.   I agree best person for job regardless of sex.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Two of them stood in the general election and got in, the others have been on various committees and spoke well in the gas debate.   They have been hardworking and they all came from outside Tynwald.   We should not be inflicted with people like Craine who has been rejected by the voters twice or Shimmins who did not make much of a mark when he was a MHK.   Fresh blood is healthy and it worked last time.   I agree best person for job regardless of sex.

Like who?

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Did it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Another nomination - Diane Kelsey.  Who is currently "Chief of Staff and Private Secretary" to the GovernorAn impressive CV and a number of government committees since she retired from the RAF. 

Again whether people should move from high-ranking posts in government service (or equivalent) straight into a role monitoring how such people operate, is the question.

• Like 5