Legco 2021

13 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Rubbish.  We've had endless people going on about 'big issues' and 'vision' and 'strategy' for decades now - and it's not exactly working is it?  Is there anyone who looks at the Isle of Man Government and says "What we really need is more bullshit rhetoric"?  When you have the attitude that details are for little people then you get on-going disasters like the Prom and the Airport.

You say 'rubbish' then go on to make my point for me. It's exactly the disasters like the Prom and Dreamboat Annie's Airport that I want addressing, and all the other real issues that we highlight on here every day. I want people who get that, who have a deep understanding of the Island's politics, what needs fixing, are prepared to say so, and vote accordingly. I thought that was what I'd posted...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

You say 'rubbish' then go on to make my point for me. It's exactly the disasters like the Prom and Dreamboat Annie's Airport that I want addressing, and all the other real issues that we highlight on here every day. I want people who get that, who have a deep understanding of the Island's politics, what needs fixing, are prepared to say so, and vote accordingly. I thought that was what I'd posted...

But a lot of those people need to be "detail types", so they can look at the details of civil service proposals and be able to assess whether they will work and whether what is requested is even necessary.  At the moment we have a culture where politicians feel obliged to accept whatever they are told.

• Like 1

Anyway we now got the full voting from yesterday's election:

Vote Results
Mr Craine 16
Mrs Kelsey 13
Mr Shimmins 11
Mrs Bentham 11
Mr Keenan 9
Mr Brown 5
Ms Coll 3
Number of spoilt papers 0

Chris Thomas was absent (with permission) from the session - which shows the strength of Craine's support as he was his proposer and presumably would have voted for him.

As ever voting seems to be more personal than political (even the two MLP MHKs didn't always vote the same way).  Of course MHKs could vote for as many (or few as they liked) and most actually voted for more than two candidates, even though there were only two places (Maltby voted for five).  Hooper voted for four (as did four others) none of whom were successful. 

Brown got the votes of the four Northern MHKs plus Ashford and no one else; Coll didn't even get the votes of her two supporters.

14 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Anyway we now got the full voting from yesterday's election:

Vote Results
Mr Craine 16
Mrs Kelsey 13
Mr Shimmins 11
Mrs Bentham 11
Mr Keenan 9
Mr Brown 5
Ms Coll 3
Number of spoilt papers 0

Chris Thomas was absent (with permission) from the session - which shows the strength of Craine's support as he was his proposer and presumably would have voted for him.

As ever voting seems to be more personal than political (even the two MLP MHKs didn't always vote the same way).  Of course MHKs could vote for as many (or few as they liked) and most actually voted for more than two candidates, even though there were only two places (Maltby voted for five).  Hooper voted for four (as did four others) none of whom were successful. 

Brown got the votes of the four Northern MHKs plus Ashford and no one else; Coll didn't even get the votes of her two supporters.

That a PE Teacher at Ramsey Grammar School got 3 times as many votes as a qualified lawyer and business owner I find startling since the role is to review legislation. 

Edited by Lost Login

14 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

That a PE Teacher at Ramsey Grammar School got 3 times as many votes as a qualified lawyer and business owner I find startling since the role is to review legislation. 

That’s Manx Politics for you. You don’t know what appeals to the MHKs.

If you click on Rogers link to Hansard, the Chaplain was away, so Mr Squeaker took prayers. Mr Squeaker, holier than thou, the halo shining bright.

• Haha 1

On 11/24/2021 at 4:13 PM, 2112 said:

That’s Manx Politics for you. You don’t know what appeals to the MHKs.

If you click on Rogers link to Hansard, the Chaplain was away, so Mr Squeaker took prayers. Mr Squeaker, holier than thou, the halo shining bright.

Did the Squeaker have his clerical collar on? He usually has uniforms for such occasions!

• Haha 1