Legco 2021

I don't think they should focus on who did what and when, the posts should be looked upon as a job with candidates, and the best people for the job should be put forward. For me the important thing going forward, is what a candidate would bring to the post, and not his or her antecedents. Getting elected for instance is more about who your father is/how much the grannies like you/what you promise to who ! This should be on ability alone. However I do acknowledge we / they, are particularly bad at appointing people to important roles, look at the imported Civil Servants, who in hell appointed some of those !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

He's not very impressive in real life - and I voted for him!

so he was the best option at the time IYHO ,  it just shows the level / quality of candidates available, do you want dog, pig or cow shit ?? and not matter where your tick goes you get bullshit.

• Haha 2

Just now, WTF said:

so he was the best option at the time IYHO ,  it just shows the level / quality of candidates available, do you want dog, pig or cow shit ?? and not matter where your tick goes you get bullshit.

He was the second least worst option available at the time.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Will Halsall said:

Michael, the devil and the angel on my shoulders are in agreement that if you believed you would get the votes, you would jump at the opportunity to throw your hat in the ring. I have to agree with them, and expect to see you come back like a nuisance boomerang in 5 years time, most likely seeking election in a weak constituency.

I like that you've come up with a way to criticise me for the literally imaginary voices in your head. That's some impressive projection right there.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Josem said:

I like that you've come up with a way to criticise me for the literally imaginary voices in your head. That's some impressive projection right there.

Would you therefore agree that if you stand for election again that it's only fair that people can refer to you as the "The Nuisance Boomerang"?

You've got to admit it's catchy?

41 minutes ago, Chef Raekwon said:

Would you therefore agree that if you stand for election again that it's only fair that people can refer to you as the "The Nuisance Boomerang"?

I'm not really bothered by what names people call me. I've been called worse things by better people.

44 minutes ago, Chef Raekwon said:

You are being unfair. For example David Quirk in Onchan stood 6 times before being elected. He suffered some truly miserable results during that time. Some would say deservedly so. And he was eventually elected, and even returned.

3 hours ago, asitis said:

I don't think they should focus on who did what and when, the posts should be looked upon as a job with candidates, and the best people for the job should be put forward. For me the important thing going forward, is what a candidate would bring to the post, and not his or her antecedents. Getting elected for instance is more about who your father is/how much the grannies like you/what you promise to who ! This should be on ability alone. However I do acknowledge we / they, are particularly bad at appointing people to important roles, look at the imported Civil Servants, who in hell appointed some of those !

The candidates going forward for a political role in government should have a popular mandate

It's very different from having a scrutinising role in a legislative assembly

43 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

That’s often the way. 

I think things are changing now. We only need to look to local commissioners’ elections to see a much larger group of prospective candidates, and an even larger amount of women putting themselves forward.

If Howard left us with any positive legacy whatsoever, it’s been that the GMP have seen through his leadership style and truly want change.

This can only be good for us as an Island. 

They ain't going to get it with Unlucky Alf at the helm I suspect, tho' with KLB in the Cabinet Office you never know

38 minutes ago, Barlow said:

You are being unfair. For example David Quirk in Onchan stood 6 times before being elected. He suffered some truly miserable results during that time. Some would say deservedly so. And he was eventually elected, and even returned.

1. And Quirkio got shit for it.

2. I'm responding directly to Josem implying that he won't be standing again.

Whataboutery is such a shit thing.

I am not sexist but any of the ladies seem to be a better option than the male candidates, however we will have to wait and see the members of Tynwald who will vote for them have the advantage of speaking with them and forming an opinion regarding their strengths and ability to perform. Isn’t tomorrow the last day for nominations ?

3 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I am not sexist but any of the ladies seem to be a better option than the male candidates, however we will have to wait and see the members of Tynwald who will vote for them have the advantage of speaking with them and forming an opinion regarding their strengths and ability to perform. Isn’t tomorrow the last day for nominations ?

Yes last day tomorrow & it’s only HOK voting not all Tynwald I think 

Edited by Banker