Legco 2021

1 hour ago, quilp said:

That's a broad assumption you cannot qualify nor prove. Seems you'll use any old schmaltz. 

Of course I can prove that the death rate in IOM is much lower than in Australia or New Zealand, because it is a very obvious fact that no one can seriously doubt. Saying IOM had a much lower death rate than Australia or New Zealand is a very ordinary statement of fact - there's no real dispute about it.

I used this as my source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

It reports that in IOM 57 people died, at a rate of 666/million from COVID. Australia is reported at 1768 people died, at a rate of 68/million from COVID. The New Zealand is reported to have had 28 deaths, at a rate of 6/million. Those are entirely different orders of magnitude. It's not even close.

Per capita, for every one Australian who died from COVID-19, something in the order of around ten Manx people died. Per capita, for every one New Zealander who died from COVID-19, something in the order of around one hundred* Manx people died.

There's no real debate that the Isle of Man has had a very high death rate by comparison to those jurisdictions, any more than there's a debate that the sun rises in the east, because both statements are just a matter of fact. We certainly have suffered many deaths, and done very poorly by comparison with many other island nations through the world: Japan, Cyprus, Singapore, South Korea**, Taiwan, Cayman, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand and others. But we've suffered less deaths than the UK, so there's that.

*The death rate in IOM was sooooo much higher than in New Zealand that this is a weird thing to hear, because approximately 57 people died in IOM. That's a reflection of just how many people we lost compared to NZ. It's multiple orders of magnitude.

**Obviously, South Korea is not literally an island, but since it doesn't have any functioning land borders, it might as well be an island when it comes to human movement and this situation.

9 minutes ago, Josem said:

Of course I can prove that the death rate in IOM is much lower than in Australia or New Zealand, because it is a very obvious fact that no one can seriously doubt. Saying IOM had a much lower death rate than Australia or New Zealand is a very ordinary statement of fact - there's no real dispute about it.

I used this as my source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

It reports that in IOM 57 people died, at a rate of 666/million from COVID. Australia is reported at 1768 people died, at a rate of 68/million from COVID. The New Zealand is reported to have had 28 deaths, at a rate of 6/million. Those are entirely different orders of magnitude. It's not even close.

Per capita, for every one Australian who died from COVID-19, something in the order of around ten Manx people died. Per capita, for every one New Zealander who died from COVID-19, something in the order of around one hundred* Manx people died.

There's no real debate that the Isle of Man has had a very high death rate by comparison to those jurisdictions, any more than there's a debate that the sun rises in the east, because both statements are just a matter of fact. We certainly have suffered many deaths, and done very poorly by comparison with many other island nations through the world: Japan, Cyprus, Singapore, South Korea**, Taiwan, Cayman, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand and others. But we've suffered less deaths than the UK, so there's that.

*The death rate in IOM was sooooo much higher than in New Zealand that this is a weird thing to hear, because approximately 57 people died in IOM. That's a reflection of just how many people we lost compared to NZ. It's multiple orders of magnitude.

**Obviously, South Korea is not literally an island, but since it doesn't have any functioning land borders, it might as well be an island when it comes to human movement and this situation.

You seem to confuse lower with higher in your first paragraph. Twice.

13 minutes ago, Josem said:

No, I didn't. The death rate in IOM was lower than in Australia and New Zealand.

Of course, given your track record at being very wrong on the matter of COVID-19, you should probably sit this one out.

So 666 per million is a lower rate than 68 or 6 per million?

What track record?

3 hours ago, monasqueen said:

At least the women won't be tied by any of the "rules" of the boys' club.

One of them is the actual Chief of Staff/Private Secretary to the Governor (or was till recently). The person who "is responsible for the leadership of all operational aspects of the household and provides direct support to the Lieutenant Governor with their Constitutional duties".  You can't get more Establishment than that.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

So 666 per million is a lower rate than 68 or 6 per million?

What track record?

I've confused myself here - I wrote the wrong thing above. Sorry for my confusion, it is entirely my error.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I have to say josem is right at this present snapshot (i thank you) in time. Quite why some people seem to be wishing bad figures on aus and new zealand is beyond me. One can feel the schadenfreude desire a mile off

Let us revisit this one in 12 months shall we?

Figures here are already dropping and we are pretty much completely living with it.  Very few mitigation’s and it is now circulating in the population largely unnoticed and people’s resilience to it is likely increasingly his time they catch it.

Schools will continue to be a non issue once more kids have had it or a jab.

Aus and New Zealand are in for an actual nightmare and still stopping people travelling. 

We had a bit of short term  pain for long term gain.

They are going to be a couple of years behind the rest of the world with the disadvantage of a population that are still scared and haven’t learned to live with it.  Their economies will take W hammering over the next 18-24 months.