Legco 2021

13 minutes ago, Omobono said:

So where did he go wrong then ?     because none of these election promises  have ever been debated ,never mind achieved  failure on all  three  accounts , and his claim to fame was he orchestrated the closure of most of the Isle of Man bank  rural branches ,

why would you want somebody who failed in their electoral promises to get back on the gravy train via the back door?

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

There's a lot of talk about 'failed MHKs' and 'the old boys club' in selecting members for LegCo.

My view is that for what purports to be a 'scrutiny of government legislation' role, a former MHK is probably best equipped for the job. The option is that MHKs vote for someone with little or no experience of the arcane world of Tynwald processes, protocols and procedures and has zero public mandate. At least someone who even only stood as MHK has subjected themselves to public scrutiny, whereas some nominations in the past have appeared to be more about ticking boxes than choosing the best person.

I can understand and see where you are coming. 

Shimmins sadly and it’s no secret slagged off Legco. Now he wants back in to Tynpotwald. Why? No money? Strife at home, bored? Well get a job! Just not this one.

Shimmins didnt seek re-election due to wanting to spend time with family. I’m sorry but the experts are all claiming Shimmins has all this wonderful experience. The shit and mess the island is in, Shimmins will have to work 24/7 and that will well and truly screw up his family life. 

Perhaps if Shimmins got off his arse, and practiced a bit of MEA Culpa, apologised to the GMP and admitted he was wrong, and was seeking redemption then maybe he would get the sympathy vote. A lot of people on this island are going to be affected by lots of decisions, including gas tariffs going up. Shimmins is in a position to both stick an extra bar on the electric fire, and to luxuriate in the shower (unless he hasn’t got a pot to piss in?). Lots will be forced to make sacrifices, including people on her.

I want a serious candidate not a 5 year wonder who at the first sign of aggravation from a Civil Servant, bottles it.

For all his faults, Michael Josem has taken the flak and has persevered. At least that’s not giving up and quitting. Shimmins sadly thinks he can treat Tynpotwald like a temporary job, serve a few years, and face re-election by his peers. It’s a shame he couldn’t have faced the voters of Middle. If he was as good and experienced as everyone claimed then he would have got in. 

Personally I found him aloof and unapproachable, and totally unwelcoming. Someone who didn’t like answering telephone calls from constituents, preferred to send short texts. At least Stu answers calls and responds to people, and is very approachable, same with JPW, and is appreciated. Long may it continue. 

37 minutes ago, Peter Layman said:

why would you want somebody who failed in their electoral promises to get back on the gravy train via the back door?

I wouldn’t want neither. We seem to painting Shimmins as something of an economic guru, an economic colossus, and a member of the Eddie Teare School of Manx Economics. Yes he worked at the Bank until he retired. I don’t want people who think they are self entitled. 

Perhaps a spell away, perhaps a job as a Tynpotwald Messenger, serving MHKs the drinks and passing the notes. Or maybe he could set up a business, create jobs or regenerate a part of Douglas. Perhaps in a few years, he would be a good choice and worthy. 

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

So where did he go wrong then ?     because none of these election promises  have ever been debated ,never mind achieved  failure on all  three  accounts , and his claim to fame was he orchestrated the closure of most of the Isle of Man bank  rural branches ,

Well if he gets a Legco berth, his next claim to fame can be the decimation of the the Postal Service. Has anyone got the Post Office gig?

2 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

There's a lot of talk about 'failed MHKs' and 'the old boys club' in selecting members for LegCo.

My view is that for what purports to be a 'scrutiny of government legislation' role, a former MHK is probably best equipped for the job. The option is that MHKs vote for someone with little or no experience of the arcane world of Tynwald processes, protocols and procedures and has zero public mandate. At least someone who even only stood as MHK has subjected themselves to public scrutiny, whereas some nominations in the past have appeared to be more about ticking boxes than choosing the best person.

Utter bollocks!!! I was starting to warm to you Stuart, but you’ve slipped down the ladder and yer little chubby arse is under water at the moment.

Are you trying to tell me that in 2015, Crookall was a better choice for LegCo than the esteemed Mr Moyle? And that Cregeen would be suited to LegCo? The truth is, many MHK’s have and are winging it, and they have no feckin idea how to buy a pint let alone scrutinise legislation!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

What an eye popping post this is.  Perhaps your former role left you somewhat in awe of the capabilities of previous incumbants of your present position.  I am certain, beyond doubt, that 'scrutiny of government legislation' would not present too much of a problem for a number of professional people nor indeed the average joe on the street (which is where most MHK's frequented).  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

He’d still probably have got back in over Stu Peters.

Maybe but he is a bottler, and now we won’t know. He fucked up banking in the island and followed it up in government, where it’s now a chore and hard work to open bank accounts, which is leading to businesses not relocating here. Maybe if he gets elected to LEGCO, he can carry off where he left off, and destroy other parts of the economy.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m fairly sure literally none of that is down to Bill Shimmins. What role over banking have you just made up that he had in government? I see ex Middle candidate Paul Craine has come forward as MLC candidate too. 

Well he decided not to defend his seat after 1 term. That’s bottling out in my view. Shimmins whilst being top bod at RBS killed off the RBS operations - and even as an ex RBS MD, he couldn’t use his influence as an ex Banker and MHK, to prevent the erosion of the Isle of Man Bank. If he has no influence to me he isn’t of any use. Sorry if this upsets people.

Legco needs people with life experience, and business experience. No superstars, no ex politicos by the back door and certainly no more retired civil servants, teachers, postmen or pharmacists. We also need people able to use their influence on others and certainly not swayed by members of the HOK. Shimmins will be part of a cosy cabal back in the Treasury with Ashy. 

• Thanks 1