Legco 2021

1 minute ago, Kopek said:

You seem to be a fan? Actually I quite like him and his performance in the Keys.

You suggest that what he is asking for is a similar job, nearly as much pay but with a reduced workload?

Very much a part time role I should imagine.

Just now, Kopek said:

You seem to be a fan? Actually I quite like him and his performance in the Keys.

You suggest that what he is asking for is a similar job, nearly as much pay but with a reduced workload?

I would say the same things whether I liked the person or not, whether he was a good MHK or not. The top and bottom of it is - a) he didn’t like Legco and made his views known and b) his actions by failing to defend his seat and saying that he wanted to spend more time with his family, are not good enough, when it is plainly obvious that Shimmins has allowed his name to be entered into the contest. I would guess that this has been planned. In my eyes it is insulting the GMP and treating the role of MLC with contempt. For £63k+ a year, it’s a nice state sponsored cushy little job. It is also a closed shop open to mates, sponsors and ex politicos, which has long had its day and usefulness. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m not really a fan it’s just a lot of people seem to be posting complete drivel because they seem to harbour some sort of grudge. 

No grudge. I think Tynpotwald needs better, not a second rate ‘retired’ politician’. Why not put the current AG who is a QC but doesn’t vote. After all it’s about legislation! Reviewing the law and amendment. He should be retiring and for 18 months he could do the role, whilst a new AG is in post. Just a suggestion. 

It’s worth noting that Quayle, failed to give Shimmins a Minister role, but have to Ashford, Allinson and Baker who like Shimmins part of the new intake of 2016. Surely Shimmins had a greater CV and life history and skills than Ashford? Or did Quayle know something that we don’t, and didn’t give him a ministerial role? 

Edited by 2112
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, 2112 said:

No grudge. I think Tynpotwald needs better, not a second rate ‘retired’ politician’. Why not put the current AG who is a QC but doesn’t vote. After all it’s about legislation! Reviewing the law and amendment. He should be retiring and for 18 months he could do the role, whilst a new AG is in post. Just a suggestion. 

It’s worth noting that Quayle, failed to give Shimmins a Minister role, but have to Ashford, Allinson and Baker who like Shimmins part of the new intake of 2016. Surely Shimmins had a greater CV and life history and skills than Ashford? Or did Quayle know something that we don’t, and didn’t give him a ministerial role? 

It takes lots of skills/brainpower to collect dirty glasses I'll have you know!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Well he decided not to defend his seat after 1 term. That’s bottling out in my view. Shimmins whilst being top bod at RBS killed off the RBS operations - and even as an ex RBS MD, he couldn’t use his influence as an ex Banker and MHK, to prevent the erosion of the Isle of Man Bank. If he has no influence to me he isn’t of any use. Sorry if this upsets people.

Legco needs people with life experience, and business experience. No superstars, no ex politicos by the back door and certainly no more retired civil servants, teachers, postmen or pharmacists. We also need people able to use their influence on others and certainly not swayed by members of the HOK. Shimmins will be part of a cosy cabal back in the Treasury with Ashy. 

He didn’t stand for personal reasons. He didn’t bottle anything as he would have liked to have stood again but for reasons that are none of your business wasn’t able to commit to five years as an MHK

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, 2112 said:

his actions by failing to defend his seat and saying that he wanted to spend more time with his family, are not good enough, when it is plainly obvious that Shimmins has allowed his name to be entered into the contest

This is actually pretty offensive to anyone who knows Bill and his (very valid) reasons for not standing.

You really should give it up and wind your neck in before you make a total idiot of yourself.

• Like 1

Just now, finlo said:

Drinking buddy?

No, but I did have a long chat with him about it in his office at the wedding cake and anyone who thinks he bottled it is a clown (and presumably has never even had the bottle to put themselves forward, never mind not be in a position to run a second term)

He would have got straight back in with JPW had he been ABLE to stand again.

5 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

This is actually pretty offensive to anyone who knows Bill and his (very valid) reasons for not standing.

You really should give it up and wind your neck in before you make a total idiot of yourself.

It is a serious role, not a friends and family jolly. It’s starting to smack of a third world banana republic election. Especially when the general electorate doesn’t get a say. A few choice words at MHK hustings, tell them what they want to hear, and tow the COMIN line. 

Just now, 2112 said:

It is a serious role, not a friends and family jolly. It’s starting to smack of a third world banana republic election. Especially when the general electorate doesn’t get a say. A few choice words at MHK hustings, tell them what they want to hear, and tow the COMIN line. 

Why don’t you have a go?

7 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

No, but I did have a long chat with him about it in his office at the wedding cake and anyone who thinks he bottled it is a clown (and presumably has never even had the bottle to put themselves forward, never mind not be in a position to run a second term)

He would have got straight back in with JPW had he been ABLE to stand again.

So what’s the difference between July and now? Apart from £63k+, no real campaigning, and a virtual guaranteed shoo-in. It’s nice work if you can get it, but you have to be mates with everyone to be readmitted. Chumocracy at its best.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, 2112 said:

So what’s the difference between July and now? Apart from £63k+, no real campaigning, and a virtual guaranteed shoo-in. It’s nice work if you can get it, but you have to be mates with everyone to be readmitted. Chumocracy at its best.

Jesus.  July was commuting to be an MHK at the beck and call of you constituents until the end of 2026.

This is commuting (if elected) to be an MLC until feb 2023 (I think) at a time when it isn’t likely many other people with his experience or even at all are likely to step forward.

If you can’t work out the numerous reasons why people might consider able to do one but not the other then I can’t help you