Legco 2021

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Again whether people should move from high-ranking posts in government service (or equivalent) straight into a role monitoring how such people operate, is the question

Why is it a question.  Pros and cons surely and I cant really see an issue provided they aren't just looking out for their mates.  However given the size of the island everyone knows everyone anyway so I don't personally see it as an issue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Why is it a question.  Pros and cons surely and I cant really see an issue provided they aren't just looking out for their mates.  However given the size of the island everyone knows everyone anyway so I don't personally see it as an issue.

Well if there are "pros and cons", that surely implies there is a question.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

Plenty of spare time for MLCs 

I recall Cretney in MLC post, all he did was go for long walks and post it on FB. 

Phil Braidwood could be found licking stamps for little old ladies in his Post Office.
Nice work if you can get it.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Another nomination - Diane Kelsey.  Who is currently "Chief of Staff and Private Secretary" to the GovernorAn impressive CV and a number of government committees since she retired from the RAF. 

Again whether people should move from high-ranking posts in government service (or equivalent) straight into a role monitoring how such people operate, is the question.

No.

No, no, no and no again.

Jeesus. She will defend the establishment and all its little ways right up to the hilt.

This is a bad, bad nomination for the people of the Isle of Man.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Phil Braidwood could be found licking stamps for little old ladies in his Post Office.
Nice work if you can get it.

To be fair to Phil Braidwood he was an old school politico, he had manners and knew how to act with decorum. He put in many hours, and treated the job with respect. Same with Alex Downie. Granted they had their faults,  foibles and little quirks but compared to some of the new modern breed that are currently sitting, they devoted their time for the public good. Some are more interested in what they can get out than what they can put in.

Some of the previous MLCs attended trade fairs and shows, but brought back business for the island. If some of the new breed of MLC have family commitment, obviously they can’t go off island to attend trade shows or conferences. So they can’t network, gain contacts and cultivate knowledge as well, which will hopefully bring businesses and jobs. 

Some of the previous MLCs I know used their contacts to bring business and jobs to the island, which is more than El Presidente Skelly and his 6 Chinese Banks have ever achieved. 

31 minutes ago, 2112 said:

To be fair to Phil Braidwood he was an old school politico, he had manners and knew how to act with decorum.

As they and just about anyone did/does.

2112, you make me suspect, in your empty but glowing reference of Phil, that you are on the square with him, or something.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Barlow said:

As they and just about anyone did/does.

2112, you make me suspect, in your empty but glowing reference of Phil, that you are on the square with him, or something.

Definitely no!

I just know him that’s all. I stand by my comments, like others are entitled to disagree.

33 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Definitely no!

I just know him that’s all. I stand by my comments, like others are entitled to disagree.

Yeah I know. I was just aiming to get a rise out of you.
Phil is a decent enough bloke, I suppose, but being a good MHK needs a lot more qualities than that.

He didn't do much for constituents, and in that I would echo another MHKs thoughts of him being very much less than diligent. In that respect I agree.
If the constituent was in the lodge, then maybe it was different, but my understanding of him in the lodge was he openly showed some disdain to some who did not have his ability or time to learn the lines.

I always had excellent service from him in the Post Office though, and for that I offer my sincere respect. And as I said, was good to lick stamps for li'l old ladies.

• 2 weeks later...

Two more nominations in the last week or so.

Craig Brown, who recently retired as MD from what used to be First Names Group (and now is called something equally forgettable in every language on earth).  His CV  contains the following gem:

image.png.e18b5d4d28c6aa5dc1b6f0154e04a6ab.png

which I show partly because I find it twee, but mainly because of the delight in finding that the officials think that GDPR applies to dogs (maybe they have their own called GRRR).

Most recently MaryBeth Coll who is the Foraging Vintners woman (but also has a legal background in both Australia and the US).

Interestingly of the six nominees, only Paul Craine is Manx born or raised.  All the other came to the Island in the last 20 years or more recently.  Not saying that's bad (outside experience can be useful), it just struck me as an odd coincidence.

There's still time for more candidates in the next couple of days.  A lot of MHKs have used up both their nominations and some wont[1], but there's still space for more to come forward.

[1]  Watterson as Speaker never nominates and Cannan as CM seems to have felt he shouldn't (though that never stopped Quayle from backing his favourites).  Rob Callister never does either, nor has Moorhouse the last few times.  So far Faragher and Crookall haven't backed anyone.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Most recently MaryBeth Coll who is the Foraging Vintners woman (but also has a legal background in both Australia and the US).

There's a licensing bill due soon I think, there was a consultation a while back. This lady has been rightly critical of our backwards licensing laws, and would definitely bring something positive to the table on that, if she was allowed.

• Like 1