Legco 2021

14 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Paul Craine has stood for M.H.K. twice and been unsuccessful, does that not tell him something ?

Almost beat Quayle last time but agree he’s been rejected, personally prefer Shimmins to be one of MLCs , not impressed by the others 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

There's a licensing bill due soon I think, there was a consultation a while back. This lady has been rightly critical of our backwards licensing laws, and would definitely bring something positive to the table on that, if she was allowed.

It went through at the end of the last year. It just needs Royal Assent and an appointed day order.

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Two more nominations in the last week or so.

Craig Brown, who recently retired as MD from what used to be First Names Group (and now is called something equally forgettable in every language on earth).  His CV  contains the following gem:

image.png.e18b5d4d28c6aa5dc1b6f0154e04a6ab.png

which I show partly because I find it twee, but mainly because of the delight in finding that the officials think that GDPR applies to dogs (maybe they have their own called GRRR).

Most recently MaryBeth Coll who is the Foraging Vintners woman (but also has a legal background in both Australia and the US).

Interestingly of the six nominees, only Paul Craine is Manx born or raised.  All the other came to the Island in the last 20 years or more recently.  Not saying that's bad (outside experience can be useful), it just struck me as an odd coincidence.

There's still time for more candidates in the next couple of days.  A lot of MHKs have used up both their nominations and some wont[1], but there's still space for more to come forward.

[1]  Watterson as Speaker never nominates and Cannan as CM seems to have felt he shouldn't (though that never stopped Quayle from backing his favourites).  Rob Callister never does either, nor has Moorhouse the last few times.  So far Faragher and Crookall haven't backed anyone.

Maybe legally qualified ………. in Queensland, Australia. If her business is so successful why give it up to sit with half wits and nit wits? 

I think Michael Josem is qualified both in a business aspect, Australian University educated and is involved in Manx Life. He may not be to everyone’s cup of tea. There again, he may not be in with the Manx Establishment. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Again Josem has stood twice and been passed over twice by the voters.

This. I think it would be indecent for me, or any other candidate who was declined by the voters, to put themselves forward as a candidate here.

Edited by Josem
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Josem said:

This. I think it would be indecent for me, or any other candidate who was declined by the voters, to put themselves forward as a candidate here.

I agree with the first part, disagree with the second.

Steve Crowther is one who jumps out to me as being in a completely different league to most of the others and being very unlucky not to have got in.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Steve Crowther is one who jumps out to me as being in a completely different league to most of the others and being very unlucky not to have got in.

I think the public very rarely gets these things wrong.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Josem said:

Michael, the devil and the angel on my shoulders are in agreement that if you believed you would get the votes, you would jump at the opportunity to throw your hat in the ring. I have to agree with them, and expect to see you come back like a nuisance boomerang in 5 years time, most likely seeking election in a weak constituency.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1