Covid meal vouchers

hissingsid

Martin was on the Nations Station complaining the scheme to help the hospitality trade by the Government after Covid…which is slowly tearing it’s ugly head again, is aimed at food providers none for the the wet trade.  Does anyone know how this scheme works ?   Who gets the discount vouchers ?   First it was the hotels now the eateries and pubs, what about the other little businesses ?   I resent my taxes going towards plumping out Heron and Brearley’s profits especially with the standard of food they dish up.   Does anyone have any idea how this scheme for splashing the cash works?   

Sorry, still confused, so if it is a card you put money on yourself to spend money you would have spent anyway how is it costing the taxpayers half a million quid?   Where do you get the cards from ?  If you go downtown to buy a present how do you know which shop you are going to end up in to get the present ?   This is crazy or perhaps you just put money on a card and hope the shop is in the scheme….just beyond me…who the f…k thought this one up?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

These cards make money for the people who issue the cards. That’s about it. They don’t generally make money for anyone else as you have to put your own money on the card and the shop gets money it presumably would have got anyway when people buy things with the card. The half a million is to cover additional benefits (points and offers etc) which the card provider tops up from the profits it already makes on issuing the cards and receiving the uploaded money or purchase transaction fee in the first place. And you can’t buy alcohol with the IOM card so it won’t help the wet trade which is the worst sector hit. And Jersey pre loaded their cards with £100 of free money which you could spend on stuff you couldn’t afford to normally buy which we won’t be doing. All in all, it’s a pointless scheme unless you’re the card scheme manager who gets all the transaction fees as well as half a million quid of taxpayers money to convert to meaningless scheme points which they’ll make sure aren’t fully passed on to the traders participating in the scheme.

Are you sure you’ve got this right?

You apply for a card to spend with local retailers instead of using your existing debit/credit card and you don’t get any discount or other benefits for using this new card?

Where does the £100 come into it?

Or have I just not understood it?