COP21

On 11/6/2021 at 8:07 PM, pongo said:

Scotland's extreme Loyalist sub-culture is as horrid as extreme Loyalism in the north of Ireland (where a majority now identifies as Irish).

The gradual break-up of the UK is being driven by sensible moderate middle-class and educated people and the young. It's about economics and a rejection of the kind of regressive tabloid tribalism which resulted in England forcing Brexit on the UK.

(The SNP have also done a brilliant job of destroying the old-fashioned Labour Party in Scotland. And putting PR at the centre of future politics.)

That is so muddled that my head hurts. Only bits of Scotland have a loyalist sub culture inhabited by the Thommos of this world. The rest of us are fine. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Max Power said:

I guess this is as good a place as any to leave this...

Now show us a close up of the last few hundred years, and more importantly plot its derivative to show how quickly things are changing, when compared with any previous time in earth’s history. 

Are you a climate change denier Max? I agree that we’re not going to stop it by getting air source heat pumps and solar panels, and governments need to start preparing for the inevitable rather than talking about reversing it, but it’s happening, whether you believe it or not.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, wrighty said:

Now show us a close up of the last few hundred years, and more importantly plot its derivative to show how quickly things are changing, when compared with any previous time in earth’s history. 

Are you a climate change denier Max? I agree that we’re not going to stop it by getting air source heat pumps and solar panels, and governments need to start preparing for the inevitable rather than talking about reversing it, but it’s happening, whether you believe it or not.

Hang on wrighty, I'm not at your intelligence level, nor that of many posters on here! 

I'm not a denier but like you, I don't think we are going to stop it changing. I'm sure that we have had an effect on our environment which certainly could have been having an effect on climate, but I subscribe to the fact that we are going through a warming phase, as has been happening for millenia. The Milankovich cycle probably explains this in my opinion? 

My answer? Clean up our act and stop making such a mess, but I think we will be growing grapes on the slopes of Snaefell at some point, no matter how many electric cars and wind turbines we are conned into purchasing!

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2021 at 12:57 PM, Max Power said:

Hang on wrighty, I'm not at your intelligence level, nor that of many posters on here! 

I'm not a denier but like you, I don't think we are going to stop it changing. I'm sure that we have had an effect on our environment which certainly could have been having an effect on climate, but I subscribe to the fact that we are going through a warming phase, as has been happening for millenia. The Milankovich cycle probably explains this in my opinion? 

My answer? Clean up our act and stop making such a mess, but I think we will be growing grapes on the slopes of Snaefell at some point, no matter how many electric cars and wind turbines we are conned into purchasing!

The Romans managed to grow vine as far north as Northumbria, so it wouldn't be the first time that vino-culture made this far!

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 3

On 11/5/2021 at 11:41 AM, Roger Mexico said:

Well they've got more than a year to make a decision if the UK cut isn't coming in till 2023.  Whether it happens at all is another issue, given the constant u-turns of the British government.  The idea is to support domestic aviation and flights and had been trailed for some time, but these have actually been in decline for years and I can't see a tiny cut reversing it.

Josem is wrong incidentally.  APD is based on departure per flight, so someone flying to the Isle of Man from the UK will get the UK cut whatever.

No, I'm not wrong. The APD cut only applies to flights between airports in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. It does not apply to flights to (or from) the Isle of Man.

If you want to better understand the UK Government's proposal, I encourage you to read this article which provides the underlying sources and facts to educate yourself: https://taxpayersalliance.im/isle-of-man-government-must-match-aircraft-passenger-duty-to-ensure-iom-is-not-left-behind/

• Haha 2