COP21

6 hours ago, Max Power said:

An interesting article on our virtue signalling performance at the big hug in....

https://fearandloathing2021.wixsite.com/fearandloathingblog/post/never-trust-a-hippy

Mildly amusing as ever.  However I would suggest that someone who believes that "an ordained trip to Glasgow consisting of boat, train and (presumably) car journeys [...] would have presented a challenge for even the likes of Phileas Fogg to navigate" last used public transport when it involved Viking longships.  I reckon it would have been quicker than going by air (as well as cheaper).

48 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Mildly amusing as ever.  However I would suggest that someone who believes that "an ordained trip to Glasgow consisting of boat, train and (presumably) car journeys [...] would have presented a challenge for even the likes of Phileas Fogg to navigate" last used public transport when it involved Viking longships.  I reckon it would have been quicker than going by air (as well as cheaper).

Yeah I went to Glasgow last month, boat to Heysham. Train to Lancaster,  then train to the centre of Glasgow. Was actually very easy and cheaper than a return flight 

• Like 1

Just watching a documentary on China.

”in the last three years, China has used more cement than America did in the whole of the 20th Century”

and yet there are some who think the Isle of Man can have an impact on climate change 😂

We might as well just enjoy life.  Nothing we do will have any impact on anything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

”in the last three years, China has used more cement than America did in the whole of the 20th Century”

and yet there are some who think the Isle of Man can have an impact on climate change 😂

We might as well just enjoy life.  Nothing we do will have any impact on anything.

thats what I worry about when certain Manx politicians state we must be seen to be leading this by example , do what is affordable and practically achievable ,by all means ,watch what the clever countries are doing , and when a cost effective meaningful solution comes along  that we can reasonably apply to the isle of Man  and our reduction  to global warming  then implement it , we are  never going to be the world  leaders in this  with No heavy industry and 80,000 people

47 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Yep, it takes us a whole year to produce what it takes the world just 14 minutes to produce.

It's not logical for us to do anyhting but mitigate for rising sea levels and more frequent extreme weather events. Adapt and wait.

The trouble is logic doesn't apply, it is all about the feels. The drama. The most effective thing we can do as humans to reduce CO2 is to have one less kid. Use a condom and save the planet.  

image.thumb.png.4cd7a3562d9c416eb154c771f817d8f3.png

Yep, it takes us a whole year to produce what it takes the world just 14 minutes to produce.

It's not logical for us to do anyhting but mitigate for rising sea levels and more frequent extreme weather events. Adapt and wait. And maybe stop buying Chinese products.

Tells you all you need to know about China and coal.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Omobono said:

thats what I worry about when certain Manx politicians state we must be seen to be leading this by example , do what is affordable and practically achievable ,by all means ,watch what the clever countries are doing , and when a cost effective meaningful solution comes along  that we can reasonably apply to the isle of Man  and our reduction  to global warming  then implement it , we are  never going to be the world  leaders in this  with No heavy industry and 80,000 people

How very dare you! You'll hurt the feelings of all those hard working prosesters who slaved over the posters, placards and chants for the march. We've all got to give up eating meat, walk to work in all weathers and learn to live with frequent power disruption when the wind don't blow enough. 

• Haha 2

Here's some ideas of what could be done now by our globetrotting politicians to show real leadership and good examples that we mean business.

We are being asked to make changes to how we live. We will be asked to make sacrifices and no doubt to pay for the privilege. How many will bother if our government don't make their own sacrifices too. The proposed measures below are all easily doable relatively quickly, require no massive investment and would be more than just the  hot air we currently suffer.

Excess speed produces more carbon. Bring in a 60 mph maximum speed limit for the Island.

Stop promoting carbon producing motor sports events, which term includes all the extra fuels burned in all the ancillary activities and knock-on effects.

Stop running highly inefficient coal-burning non-essential railways.

Introduce energy efficiency into new builds.

Insist that all the Parliamentary and Government shindigs take place on-line to avoid all the jolly travel: You know like everyone else has to do.

Come on boys and girls of Tynwald, lead the way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

How about taxing or even abolishing plastic water bottles, there is nothing wrong with tap water.

I quite agree the quality of Manx tap water is far superior  than any of that imported into the island ,  I would suggest the water quality  from some of the EU countries , is very inferior , 

its just not fashionable  for people to drink water out of the tap , and when you go out its an opportunity  to get you to buy bottled water , 

unlike America  when you go anywhere for a meal the first thing the server does is pour everyone a glass of water ,for free 

the cost of importing water into the isle of Man must be astronomical  ,and a similar cost when dealing with the waste bottles and plastics  

perhaps our greener government should introduce a bottled water tax , !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Omobono said:

I quite agree the quality of Manx tap water is far superior  than any of that imported into the island ,  I would suggest the water quality  from some of the EU countries , is very inferior , 

its just not fashionable  for people to drink water out of the tap , and when you go out its an opportunity  to get you to buy bottled water , 

unlike America  when you go anywhere for a meal the first thing the server does is pour everyone a glass of water ,for free 

the cost of importing water into the isle of Man must be astronomical  ,and a similar cost when dealing with the waste bottles and plastics  

perhaps our greener government should introduce a bottled water tax , !

Well they don't just import water do they, they also import milk, beer, spirits and fruit juices a lot of which have to be chilled which would greatly increase the carbon footprint. Water is essentail to life so why not target the other non-essential liquids first? 

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Well they don't just import water do they, they also import milk, beer, spirits and fruit juices a lot of which have to be chilled which would greatly increase the carbon footprint. Water is essentail to life so why not target the other non-essential liquids first? 

Maybe because we have more than enough water here to meet local demand.

Can you say the same for Guinness, Orange juice, Pineapple juice..........actually, as I type this I assume you were being funny in some way?

• Like 1