COP21

9 minutes ago, pongo said:

You said that she has no mandate and that neither does Tynwald.

But she does and so does Tynwald. That's how representative democracy works. Fortunately we do not elect delegates :)  

The issue of gas extraction with the potential investment that comes with it is of such monumental proportions that Tynwald shouldn't be left to decide this without reference to the electorate. That is all.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

The issue of gas extraction with the potential investment that comes with it is of such monumental proportions that Tynwald shouldn't be left to decide this without reference to the electorate. That is all.

What is the point of electing a government if do not trust the government to make policy decisions?

11 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Energy company chief takes a swipe at Daffy Caine's misinformation campaign...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/energy-company-ceo-hits-back-at-misinformation/

Does he have a point, or not?

There are 2 arguments. If we find cheaper gas will it increase usage making it bad, or will it just displace gas from other places making it neutral. 

Daphne vs crogga. Which is right? There is only one way to find out.

image.png.6ff994c31855a2422e186ea8d61690f6.png

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Does he have a point, or not?

There are 2 arguments. If we find cheaper gas will it increase usage making it bad, or will it just displace gas from other places making it neutral. 

Daphne vs crogga. Which is right? There is only one way to find out.

image.png.6ff994c31855a2422e186ea8d61690f6.png

It saves pumping it in from Russia so no increase in use, just hopefully more reliable and cheaper?

• Like 2

The likes of Daffy, Manx Labour Party Grandees and other Middle Class sandal wearing, tofu munching eco loons, can afford to buy and easily run electric vehicles, unlike the ‘poor’ they purport to represent. The can drive and have use of Government charging points. The ‘Poor’ meanwhile either have to make use of inefficient old polluting clapped out motor vehicles, or use Longworths Pony, or the Bus at a stretch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting Mannin Line today with Daphne Caine. Also there's an Agenda programme on Manx Radio tonight at 6:00 with Phil Gorn and guests discussing the potential Crogga gas extraction. Should be good.

Listening to Mrs Caine I was wondering what her household carbon footprint was ? It's rarely mentioned in these debates but when you compare people's consumption there's a vast socio-economic difference in terms of domestic utility use (Heating, hot water, baths/showers, cooking, lighting, washing machine/tumble dryer/dishwasher/fridge/freezer etc.); the number of vehicles owned and milage; annual air miles used etc. I can't imagine people downsizing and decreasing their carbon consumption any time soon if it means giving up their lifestyle. The social and political limits to the environmental agenda will be the real obstacle to a carbon zero future.  

• Like 5

Listening to Mrs Caine I was wondering what her household carbon footprint was

Two quotes from Allinson's Twitter account:

We need to try and reduce the unhealthy obsession with car ownership and driving everywhere. Better affordable public transport and the active travel policy are a major start but the cultural change may take time.

and

I love the way my daily drive to work is described as one of the most exceptional roads on the planet.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Two quotes from Allinson's Twitter account:

and

There will be like Soviet Russia an MHK express lanes around the island, especially the road from Ramsey to Douglas so Allinson, Daffy, Hooperman et al have a nice leisurely drive, whilst the rest of the plebs are on Longworths Buses. 

whilst the rest of the plebs are on Longworths Buses. 

It could be that EV car battery life/replacement cost will be significant (and by-the-way EV battery disposal is already a problem in China). So maybe EV cars will be like battery-powered drills and angle grinders - when the battery fails, it's cheaper to dump the unit and buy a whole new one. So there will be no functioning 4th-hand EVs for poor people to buy.

Allinson realises this and some time ago he commented that he would prevent cheap used IC cars being imported from England. His view is - let them eat cake and get the bus.

Unfortunately I cannot now find that quote.

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

There will be like Soviet Russia an MHK express lanes around the island, especially the road from Ramsey to Douglas so Allinson, Daffy, Hooperman et al have a nice leisurely drive, whilst the rest of the plebs are on Longworths Buses. 

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Just ask how many cars there are in both families ,and Daffy doesn't even have a electric car charging point at home Quote , from Manx radio programme  she drives into Douglas to charge the car at Government buildings, and I bet her husband drives in with a separate vehicle ,  while I agree we have to do something about global warming and the reduction of greenhouse gasses its got to be  by evolution  NOT revolution  and we should not penalise the least well off who quite simply can not make the transition overnight and without incurring  great cost ,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Im more of a climate change person than a sceptic but the numbers in this article re offsetting costs are eye bleedingly high.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/dec/22/cleanup-cost-of-heathrow-third-runway-doubles-to-100bn-mps-told

I appreciate r3 created additional traffic rather than displacement alone, but still...