COP21

15 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Screenshot_20211223-213519_Chrome.jpg

He raises a valid point. Unfortunately IOMG are more interested in hammering the motorist, and taxing them like a cash cow. They won’t put resources into incentives to purchase electric vehicles, as they would rather bankrupt the island, and fill every department with even more civil servants.

The electric vehicle charging point, behind Government Offices, is woeful considering the importance of climate change to our politicos (or so they claim). Without Government subsidies electric vehicles, then it means that electric vehicles become the preserve of the middle classes, and Tynpotwald members. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

He raises a valid point. Unfortunately IOMG are more interested in hammering the motorist, and taxing them like a cash cow. They won’t put resources into incentives to purchase electric vehicles, as they would rather bankrupt the island, and fill every department with even more civil servants.

The electric vehicle charging point, behind Government Offices, is woeful considering the importance of climate change to our politicos (or so they claim). Without Government subsidies electric vehicles, then it means that electric vehicles become the preserve of the middle classes, and Tynpotwald members. 

So in 8 yers we are going to have  just over 9000 new electric vehicles on Manx roads ,  so where is the additional electricity coming from to charge all these vehicles     ,and bear in mind if homes are moving away from Gas and oil for heating , Electricity will be even  further in demand 

UK media story today said energy costs(electricity ) is set to double in price during 2022 , the way things are going we will be collecting drift wood from the beaches and Pallets  to burn to stay warm   don't  kid yourselves  the petrol engine is here to stay for a good while yet  and a lot of clever people don't think electric cars are the answer anyway ,

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

sadly no one else can get access to it , its blocked by someone in Tynwald  that does not have a charging point at home   and the half dozen or so on the futuristic multi million pound promenade  are a fine example  of governments  lack of ability to forward  plan ,good question to ask is how many charging points  on the DOI harbour car parks ,and at the airport and are they rapid chargers  or 3 phase , 

Community charging points won't work anyway unless they're secure, supervised and regulated. What's to stop someone disconnecting your charger and swapping it on to their vehicle, or just disconnecting it because they can ? It's an open invitation to anti-social behaviour. Filling stations work because the fuel is secure underground, supervised, regulated and policed with security cameras. I'm sure it could eventually work but not without massive investment in charging infrastructure, and who's going to pay for that ? Until then, home charging is the only sensible option but that would exclude an awful lot of people.   

11 hours ago, Omobono said:

So in 8 yers we are going to have  just over 9000 new electric vehicles on Manx roads ,  so where is the additional electricity coming from to charge all these vehicles     ,and bear in mind if homes are moving away from Gas and oil for heating , Electricity will be even  further in demand 

UK media story today said energy costs(electricity ) is set to double in price during 2022 , the way things are going we will be collecting drift wood from the beaches and Pallets  to burn to stay warm   don't  kid yourselves  the petrol engine is here to stay for a good while yet  and a lot of clever people don't think electric cars are the answer anyway ,

We've never stopped collecting driftwood off the beach, just been down and got the van full of fair sized logs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

Me too. My dream gift is a portable chainsaw (the little ones that you charge up at home) so I can cut them in situ. I’ve heard you shouldn’t burn salted wood but wood off the beach, rained upon and dried till tinder dry has given me no problems. And apart from that - I bloody love collecting wood!

I wonder if Father Christmas will bring me that chainsaw tomorrow. 

If I was daddy Claus I would buy you one!