COP21

There is a protest outside Tynpotwald today 12-45-2-15, held by the local Extinction Rebellion ‘protest’ group along with the Isle of Man Greens. The beef they have is the extension of extra time to the Group doing exploratory works off Maughold Head, searching for a Manx Gas deposits. Perhaps Daphne will tie herself up or suoerglue herself to the Tynpotwald Buildimg for the cause? 

From what I can see from the Paul Moulton interview and the IOMNP Facebook page, there wasn’t a big crowd outside Tynpotwald. The Greens were whinging about the extension to the licence for gas exploration. If my memory serves me correct, how many MHKs have the IOM Greens got? Fuck all, and diddly squat. I got one am fed up with these grandstanding and self righteous idiots who are dictating to everyone now on how people should live their lives. I am not a climate change denier or even a sceptic, but unfortunately others views are being rammed down the throats of the population, whether they like it or not. If you disagree you are personally attacked, and every chance is used to make life unpleasant until you bend to they will of mob rule. 

• Like 3

They have a very insular blinkered view of life in the real world send them all to China or Russia and give them a few gallons of glue see how they get on. The Newton fella is a nice chap and means well but he’ll never have to worry about paying bills or of any general life expenses that most people may struggle with.

Edited by GreyWolf
  • Like 4

It is very simple.  We need a shed load of money to change to renewables.  Until we have renewables, we have to use fossil fuels, so isn't it better to use our own and maximise the revenue as well as having fuel security?   

These guys never address that simple logic and just say we should leave the gas in the ground.  I would be behind them if there was a proposal to build a new power station fuelled by fossil fuels, but we aren't.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

so isn't it better to use our own and maximise the revenue as well as having fuel security?

Depends. What's the cost of getting it out of the ground and building any necessary facilities? What's the environmental/geological risks of doing so? How long would it take to offset any initial cost, and who would really be benefiting?

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Depends. What's the cost of getting it out of the ground and building any necessary facilities? What's the environmental/geological risks of doing so? How long would it take to offset any initial cost, and who would really be benefiting?

They are selling good questions, but they are not being asked by the opposers. 

• Like 1

If I was the government I would do it like this.

Here is a licence to pump money out of the ground. Here are the conditions of the licence,

The MUA has used x amount of gas over the last 5 years, You need to provide approx this much gas per year for the term of the licence gratis.

Manx gas has used x amount of gas over the last 5 years. You need to provide their needs at x% below global price for the term of the licence.

20% of your sales to be paid to IoM Gov future infrastructure fund.

25% of your sales paid into a disaster and decommissioning fund. This cannot be accessed until the rigs are gone.

You absolutely have to run everything to the highest industry standards possible, higher than that even. 

There is no additional government support for this project.

Go ahead, make some money. Or don't. We don't really mind, its quite unpopular and we could do without the headache tbh. Those are your terms. Non negotiable.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m sure that’s the ghost of Jimmy Saville behind the woman with the enormous rack. 

3816B594-F28C-41FA-9940-666A1FE54FBE.jpeg

It actually looks like Tameelf, and it you ever drive (or walk) past the beardy one next  him take a deep breath in good time!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1