Minimum Wage

14 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Any minimum wage worker would be absolutely stupid to stay here given our increased cost of living, even more so with the gas price hike.

Stupid, or is it simply a case of not having the funds to relocate? It's extremely difficult to save any money on a minimum wage. It's called the poverty trap for a reason.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Zarley said:

Stupid, or is it simply a case of not having the funds to relocate? It's extremely difficult to save any money on a minimum wage. It's called the poverty trap for a reason.  

Depends on the reasons people feel trapped, every individual case is different but for those who have the option it would seem daft not too,  a £1 an hour pay rise is huge, especially when lots of minimum wage workers absolutely hammer the overtime trying to earn a decent wage. When I was last on minimum wage I was doing between 50-60 hours a week, so potentially £200 a month extra, I’d be moving to somewhere with cheaper rent and actually living rather than existing.

UK pay increases risk further fuelling inflation. Inflation will result in interest rates increases. A vicious circle.

Those on the lowest pay deserve a better deal. The danger is that everyone else asks for more too. That would result in the lowest paid being no better off - and all of us rapidly being worse off.

Obviously the best thing for the economy would be to re join the Single Market ASAP.

Edited by pongo
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, pongo said:

UK pay increases risk further fuelling inflation. Inflation will result in interest rates increases. A vicious circle.

Those on the lowest pay deserve a better deal. The danger is that everyone else asks for more too. That would result in the lowest paid being no better off - and all of us rapidly being worse off.

Obviously the best thing for the economy would be to re join the Single Market ASAP.

Uk minimum wage increase has been paid for by removing the £20 a week temporary uplift in benefits due to Covid. After taxes and ni the take home pay will be virtually unchanged. 

My daughter has just started uni in the Uk , she’s been looking for a part time job as she only has 3 days of lessons a week, some of the job adverts I saw advertised paid as low as £4.23 an hour, some of them said £9 an hour but more if you take no payment for the job until January 

Edited by gillf

The point about low pay is that it's relative. If everyone else ends up expecting more too then the lowest paid typically end up worse off.

A better solution would be for everyone except those on low pay to take a cut. But not a vote winner.

5 hours ago, gillf said:

My daughter has just started uni in the Uk , she’s been looking for a part time job as she only has 3 days of lessons a week, some of the job adverts I saw advertised paid as low as £4.23 an hour, some of them said £9 an hour but more if you take no payment for the job until January 

The UK minimum wage is made up of different age groups, and I’m assuming that your daughter is 18 so could be in the youth minimum wage group. The rate here is higher up to the age of 23. 

3 hours ago, Roxanne said:

As opposed to now where, for many, it makes no sense to work. 

Dignity is all very well, unless you want an affordable roof over your head.

It’s a mess  

I watched an excellent documentary at the weekend - Hoxton Street - in London, where the gentrification has seen high rise flats costing 1.5 million alongside social housing where one council flat has been split into three  one chap had a tiny room with a shower and toilet in the cupboard, costing the state £270 a week  As he said, on minimum wage, there’s no chance that he could afford to work and pay his rent and service bills  Even with his rent paid, without the three times weekly soup kitchens, he and thousands of others, would starve.

The deal is every new development has to have a 20% (IIRC) of affordable housing. I worked on a project with 48 x 1 million pound  4-bed apartments that removated 12 x 1 or 2 bedroom flats the next street over. Thereby meeting the 20%. It sure wasn't by floor area.

I didn't hurt that they leased to ground floor out to the local authority for a new library. This was in London 25 years ago.

The Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece reported about the UK Chancellor budget today and the rise in the National Living Wage to £9.50 per hour from April 22. It’s headline referring you get a better wage across than here. I think that unless Alfie and Ashy get their brains into gear, a greater exodus of the population to the UK will happen. This islands minimum wage is £8.25 per hour. That’s £1.25 difference and will probably have to be bettered to at least £10 per hour. However what could happen is if businesses do not decide to close down, it’s highly likely they will cut the hours of their employees accordingly. 

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

Luckily for the poor they have the likes of you looking out for them jeeves 

I would be absolutely amazed if I haven’t spent a period of my life with less than you ever have, absolutely astounded.

You crack on and assume what you want though 🙄

• Confused 1