Winter Work Scheme

Peter Layman

13 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Isn't "overqualified" just HR speak for never done a hard days work in their lives and unlikely ever to?

No

I have been on both ends.  I have turned people down for being overqualified and I have been on the receiving end.

I have also worked 40 hour stints when required.

Most of you on here have led very sheltered lives.

42 minutes ago, Josem said:

I find this difficult to believe. If it were true, McDonalds, Costa and the supermarkets (which all pay more than £9 an hour for adults) would not have so many vacancies right now. Working in such jobs not only pay more than your suggested £9/hour, such inside service jobs are probably much less arduous than working on building footpaths (and require much less certifications etc).

Raising the retirement age (and taxing private pensions where people retire early) would go a considerable way towards solving the labour shortage which Brexit has created.

10 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

I don’t agree, some people have worked hard in manual labour and are ready for retirement and working all their life deserve their pension and enjoy their later years . There is nothing stopping people to go on and still work if they wish too. But not everyone is behind a desk at a computer screen. 

Well at least they will know who to blame when the retirement age is increased.

We need ever more people in work to fund the provision of pensions.

17 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

I don’t agree, some people have worked hard in manual labour and are ready for retirement and working all their life deserve their pension and enjoy their later years . There is nothing stopping people to go on and still work if they wish too. But not everyone is behind a desk at a computer screen. 

Indeed, and it's those in cushy positions that get to decide what age manual workers get to retire all the while maintaining an early retirement for themselves!

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

On precisely what knowledge of other people's working and personal lives do you base this remarkably arrogant statement?

On your previous quotes of earning many times the average salary, if even true, I would say that it is yourself who has largely been sheltered from much of economic reality. Rather than those who still regularly work 40 or more hours per week, something you seem to claim credit for doing as an exception.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, HNWI said:

On precisely what knowledge of other people's working and personal lives do you base this remarkably arrogant statement?

On your previous quotes of earning many times the average salary, if even true, I would say that it is yourself who has largely been sheltered from much of economic reality. Rather than those who still regularly work 40 or more hours per week, something you seem to claim credit for doing as an exception.

Don't know how he has time to work with the amount of dining out he says he does!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

No

I have been on both ends.  I have turned people down for being overqualified and I have been on the receiving end.

I have also worked 40 hour stints when required.

If you were a character on a tv show, you'd be this guy

image.jpeg.a63b3a5f6117ccf34cd0539307821bda.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

We are in this situation because there has been no real leadership. The ones behind the desk that have work forces that they have let take the Micheal  for so long nothing is getting done and they are probably the best paid on the island. 

We are in this situation because the UK idiotically decided to quit the EU and the Single Market. When the retirement age increases that will be part of the reason. You will know who to blame.

It's closely connected to the reasons for the shortages and economic chaos being far worse than if we were only dealing with the pandemic.

Edited by pongo

8 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

Over 30 years ago I was told when I reach retirement age there will be no pension. Brexit was never mentioned. 

If that was what was promised then you shouldn't be disappointed by the retirement age being raised by a few years.

There is a massive shortage of people in almost every sector of the British economy of which the IOM is a part. That's a recipe for massive wage inflation. Inflation.

The Office for Budget Responsibility (UK govt) this week predicted a long term 4 % shrinking of the British economy as a direct result of Brexit. That will mean everyone being worse off.

Edited by pongo

1 minute ago, pongo said:

If that was what was promised then you shouldn't be disappointed by the retirement age being raised by a few years.

There is a massive shortage of people in almost every sector of the British economy of which the IOM is a part. That's a recipe for massive wage inflation. Inflation.

The Office for Budget Responsibility (UK govt) this week predicted a long term 4 % shrinking of the British economy as a direct result of Brexit. That will mean everyone being worse off.

Twice as much inflation in fact.

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

0.9% unemployment rate being claimed. 

Possibly because Manx Care etc have employed so many as to adjust the number who could be economically active upwards and so the proportion unemployed drop even if the same folk are always in and out of work