Winter Work Scheme

Peter Layman

1 hour ago, pongo said:

There is a good case for heavily taxing private and or final salary pensions taken ahead of the state retirement age.

Why? Take it later you get paid more. There's people called actuaries do sums and that.

If your argument is about using tax to keep pre retirement age people in work, isnt it steering people to stay in high paid jobs they dont want to be in and/or blocking careers of younger people? 

4 minutes ago, ian rush said:

Why? Take it later you get paid more. There's people called actuaries do sums and that.

If your argument is about using tax to keep pre retirement age people in work, isnt it steering people to stay in high paid jobs they dont want to be in and/or blocking careers of younger people? 

Not to mention a large percentage of people don't make it to state retirement age!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ian rush said:

It's about addressing the serious shortage of workers in all industries.

47 minutes ago, quilp said:

It's all a construct, same with previous incarnations.

It’s really not.  But whatever.

People are quite capable of having very different experiences at different periods in their lives.  There are plenty of successful people who have hit rock bottom and then built their lives back up.  It actually gives you a pretty interesting insight into both the privilege of being well off and the depths of being dependant on a non existent Isle of Man social security and mental health system but you crack on and come to whatever conclusions you want.

I would actually like nothing more than to share my full story and what a state I was in at a low point, and what a disgrace the government and the Manx system I have paid into for the majority of my life are when people truly need help.  However, despite it being knocking on for ten years ago now the story would be very identifying to some and there is still huge stigma around failure and mental health.

I will at some point in the future though.  Thousands of people over here living their comfortable middle class lives would be appalled and astounded to know a series of events can turn your life upside down and leave you in the depths of despair and how there is NO help available from the government services we think of as a safety net.

I am extremely proud of how I have pulled my life back together and launched a successful business that now allows me plenty of spare time and some luxuries.  Shame that when I sometimes try to use my experiences of both sides of life you assume I am making it up.  Part of me wishes I was, part of me is grateful that I am not.

I hope life is good to you and you continue you comfortable existence with no major bumps.  However I also benefitted greatly in the long term (not short term, it was horrific) from my rough patch and setbacks.

• Thanks 1

There are many of us who apparently lead comfy, middle class lives but like you have been to the bottom of the pile and suffered awful set backs but, by struggling and not letting the disasters and also the losses of loved ones drag us down we have managed to get through life, help our kids do well and although not well off we don't complain and do the best we can with our limited resources!

I could certainly tell a lot of sad stories like many on here but I'll keep my reserve and keep going and grumbling.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Peter Layman said:

When I was a mere whippersnapper, they used to have something called the winter work scheme. Wouldn't now be an ideal time to re-introduce this and get the footpaths etc sorted. I know it'll deprive Ms Maltby of a soabox but it may remove the need for another layer of civil servants overseeing a footpath agency

Or DOI could just do what their department is funded to do. 

On 10/28/2021 at 3:44 PM, Peter Layman said:

When I was a mere whippersnapper, they used to have something called the winter work scheme. Wouldn't now be an ideal time to re-introduce this and get the footpaths etc sorted. I know it'll deprive Ms Maltby of a soabox but it may remove the need for another layer of civil servants overseeing a footpath agency

The Winter work schemes were mainly to provide employment to people who worked in seasonal industries such as tourism. There could be close to 1,000 unemployed following the summer but only a couple of hundred during the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Dickhead

I was doing ok for a few years.

Then life went to shit and I dealt with stuff most here clearly haven’t.

Then I dragged myself back up by my bootstraps and now I am doing well enough again that I can work when I want and eat where I want.

Most other countries that would be congratulated.  Not on the Isle of Man apparently 🙄

Congratulations.

• Haha 1