DoI not fit for purpose

joebean

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I'm not sure the Govt is skint, Derek. I think there's plenty of money, the problem is its direction and unauthorised use. Where and how it's being spent. Some people have quite simply got into the habit of self-service and taking the piss. Regally.

In this instance, a largely unviable method of commuting for this part of the world has been carefully and very expensively conflated with a largely seasonal, minority interest leisure activity.

Having to borrow £400m something suggests something is amiss.

I agree otherwise 

2 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

You know I love a good conspiracy theory? One I heard a while ago is that the roads most important to the two DoI Ministers in the run up to the two last elections were resurfaced to make it seem that they had pulled strings for personal benefit. I'm sure the department bosses wouldn't be Machiavellian enough to orchestrate those events to discredit their Ministers...

Well, tbh Stu, I did make it clear that I posted it as conjecture; however whilst the matter of the Sloc is well documented, I can concur that I too have heard talk of the resurfacing of a road in the "KM locality" - I'm not in a position to confirm or deny though, perhaps we have some KM resident posters who would like to look into it?

If it is true in both (or more) cases though, I wouldn't think that there was any attempt at discredit...more about keeping things sweet and onside.

Consider that two months ago the DOI was a Dept apparently beyond public reproach. Then there is a departure via the electoral process.

Since then CM Cannan has announced that its officers can't be trusted (and could there possibly be a more damning indictment?), its CEO has since "departed"; your own Tynwald questions have elicited information about the highly questionable destination of our motoring taxes; Mr Crookall has announced the need for a review into one of the central planks of travel policy. How could predecessors to Mr Crookall not apparently see all this for their 5 year tenure.....?

An acquaintance of mine in Govt employment told me a couple of days ago that the buzz within Govt now is that AC is "on a mission" now to sort the whole shitshow out, and not before time. Makes one wonder why AC's predecessor couldn't recognise the issues too? But maybe they've just arisen in the past two months....

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

You know I love a good conspiracy theory? One I heard a while ago is that the roads most important to the two DoI Ministers in the run up to the two last elections were resurfaced to make it seem that they had pulled strings for personal benefit. I'm sure the department bosses wouldn't be Machiavellian enough to orchestrate those events to discredit their Ministers...

I must say I had similar thoughts at the time of the Sloc resurfacing.  I'm not sure whether it's a Machiavellian attempt to undermine them or a feeling that "Let's do something nice for the Minister/his constituency".  Both equally wrong of course, but dependant on how clever they are, or think they are.

But then I was never sure when Gawne gave his evidence to the Committee, whether he was trying to reveal how bad the 'advice' he had been given was or just repeating it naively.  Certainly one explanation given (that they wanted to give a nice easy job to JCK where they didn't have to bother with anything difficult like drains) made more sense than the using up the budget excuse (they were already over it from memory).  The fact that it went past Gawne's driveway (and practically nobody else's) may have determined which unnecessary job was chosen however.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

An acquaintance of mine in Govt employment told me a couple of days ago that the buzz within Govt now is that AC is "on a mission" now to sort the whole shitshow out, and not before time. Makes one wonder why AC's predecessor couldn't recognise the issues too? But maybe they've just arisen in the past two months....

Probably didn’t want to notice the problems & needed Harmer & Baker on his side supporting everything else

28 minutes ago, Banker said:

Probably didn’t want to notice the problems & needed Harmer & Baker on his side supporting everything else

Doesn't anyone remember when HQ was asked by Paul Moulton on the visit of Princes Anne about the prom. And all he could do was laugh . He was outside of his capabilities big time. AC definitely seems to be on a mission which also makes you wonder as Treasury minister he didnt say more about the obvious total cockups  

Edited by Numbnuts

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

Doesnt anyone remember when HQ was asked by Paul Moulton on the visit of Princes Anne about the prom. And all he could do was laugh . He was out of his cabibilities big time. AC definitely seems to be on a mission which also makes you wonder as Treasury minister he didnt say more about the obvious total cockups  

Probably did in private but during pandemic he was a team player, if he’d spoken out he would have suffered Chris Thomas fate

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Doesnt anyone remember when HQ was asked by Paul Moulton on the visit of Princes Anne about the prom. And all he could do was laugh . He was outside of his capabilities   big time. AC definitely seems to be on a mission which also makes you wonder as Treasury minister he didnt say more about the obvious total cockups  

If it isn't obvious to many already, Quayle will go down as one of the worst CMs and politicians this Island has had to endure. During his time in politics he achieved very little and ducked every issue that he possibly could, whilst pumping up his own ego. The issues he ducked will result in some big decisions down the line and will have cost taxpayer millions. Of course he could see that the DoI was a mess and the people in charge were incompetent and disingenuous but his one talent was to keep everyone in line and do nothing to expose bad practice and weak management which would, inevitably, lead to difficult decisions.

It is a pity that some of his more obvious puppets are still in prominent positions but I am inclined to believe that AC kept a low profile in the hope that his ambition to become CM and right some of the wrongs he saw would come to fruition. No doubt, Black could see the writing on the wall and jumped at the first opportunity. There will be others who are, at least, concerned about their position. AC now needs to prove himself worthy of the confidence many of us place in him and continue to push out incompetence and the untrustworthy. This is, however, Government and it does not lend itself to purges. The results will come slowly and mostly unnoticed, if they come at all. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, joebean said:

If it isn't obvious to many already, Quayle will go down as one of the worst CMs and politicians this Island has had to endure. During his time in politics he achieved very little and ducked every issue that he possibly could, whilst pumping up his own ego. The issues he ducked will result in some big decisions down the line and will have cost taxpayer millions. Of course he could see that the DoI was a mess and the people in charge were incompetent and disingenuous but his one talent was to keep everyone in line and do nothing to expose bad practice and weak management which would, inevitably, lead to difficult decisions.

It is a pity that some of his more obvious puppets are still in prominent positions but I am inclined to believe that AC kept a low profile in the hope that his ambition to become CM and right some of the wrongs he saw would come to fruition. No doubt, Black could see the writing on the wall and jumped at the first opportunity. There will be others who are, at least, concerned about their position. AC now needs to prove himself worthy of the confidence many of us place in him and continue to push out incompetence and the untrustworthy. This is, however, Government and it does not lend itself to purges. The results will come slowly and mostly unnoticed, if they come at all. 

Nice post and agree with you. Biggest question though can AC reign in the Chief Secretary as he has so much power and control over the CS and staff generally.

• Like 8

Just now, Non-Believer said:

Tim Crookall has now also announced that he wants a budget increase to progress the Island's much-needed road maintenance. One might wonder where that is going to come from....?

They wouldn't need a increase in budget if they looked after and spent their existing budget responsibly.  Its clear to everyone they haven't done so for years . 

• Like 6