DoI not fit for purpose

joebean

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

Before any of that is even considered he needs to instill cultural change which will only happen from pushing people out of the door. There’s a hard core of 5 to 10 people who should be seen walking and as soon as possible and in the most visible way possible. Alf’s background is in recruitment and HR and he needs to very publicly send out the right messaging that this won’t be a typical CS smoke screen and people will be going. 

I agree.

The culture in there needs fixing before anything else

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I agree.

The culture in there needs fixing before anything else

Yes i agree. There is a culture of fear and negativity which isn't helped by a lack of engineering and project management ability.  Black is not an uncapable guy and to be fair to him he has to play the hand he has been dealt, but is this to much for someone who never had a track record when appointed.

Therefore it needs a shake up because their performance has been unacceptable poor and unfortunately someone has to be made accountable for that

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yes i agree. There is a culture of fear and negativity which isn't helped by a lack of engineering and project management ability.  Black is not an uncapable guy and to be fair to him he has to play the hand he has been dealt, but is this to much for someone who never had a track record when appointed.

Therefore it needs a shake up because their performance has been unacceptable poor and unfortunately someone has to be made accountable for that

It is perhaps symptomatic of a view that a good manager can manage anything.  They can't, they need to understand the nuts and bolts of the thing they are managing or they are flying partially blind.

So, a great factory manager, is not going to transition effectively to being, say, a great supply chain manager.  

If they don't have the understanding of the processes they are managing, then they need support at a high level in the particular discipline.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It is perhaps symptomatic of a view that a good manager can manage anything.  They can't, they need to understand the nuts and bolts of the thing they are managing or they are flying partially blind.

So, a great factory manager, is not going to transition effectively to being, say, a great supply chain manager.  

If they don't have the understanding of the processes they are managing, then they need support at a high level in the particular discipline.

I worked, as a manager, for a very large organisation which believed that. Luckily I did understand the nuts and bolts, which made me more successful than the majority of the others!

• Like 1

I can understand the call by some posters on here to pay top dollar salaries for top notch managers with experience to match.

At the same time a cull of the flunkies, deadwood, junior civil servants, wannabe civil servants, Sir Humphries and politicos need to be carried out. Must I be loads of duplication, hangers on and freeloaders sucking the life out of a hopeless department. Too many jobs undertaken, none finished on time or to budget. It should be one job at a time, do it well, to time and on budget, I’m sure people will be happy and understanding.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 747-400 said:

103k for an airport director ain't bad, It surely must get us an improvement !

For a provincial aviation backwater with 20 aircraft movements a day; the baggage-handling mafia disbanded and massively under-utilised gold-plated facilities?  It's a part-time job on half that salary.

• Like 5

Just now, Non-Believer said:

He said something similar about the Louis Group IIRC?

He clearly doesnt have his ear to the ground or is just taking whats been the party line. Keeping everyone sweet except those that pay his salary. Taxpayers have paid out millions over the years to put right DOI cockups. 

• Like 3

The DOI itself was born out of Tony Brown's deckchair shuffling in the name of "savings" following the VAT clawback and is the last surviving remnant of that shuffle.

It's a little ironic that a Dept whose existence supposedly arose out of attempting to save money (ha ha ha) has squandered long millions in incompetence since then.

It's also worth considering that some people have been paid considerable amounts of money to oversee and wallow in this state of affairs for ten years plus, from Ministers down through the management and delivery structure.  Could none of them see the failings that have been so obvious to everybody else or was life just too comfortable as it was?

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Like 6