DoI not fit for purpose

joebean

33 minutes ago, joebean said:

That really sums it up. Organisations tend to replicate the leadership, but here we have a leader who does not lead the service. Will Greenhow could walk the corridors of the Civil Service, outside of Cabinet Office and not be recognised by the vast majority of those who he is supposed to be leading. Invisibility is not part of any successful Leader's skill-set. Let's not forget either, that the Chief Secretary was a significant person in the appointment of incompetent CEOs like Black at DoI.

It is the Chief Secretary who line manages and protects the CEOs and reports on their performance to the CM. In all these respects he has been sadly lacking but getting hugely rewarded with taxpayer cash. What was his experience before joining the Civil Service here? I don't know but I suspect it didn't involve leading any large organisation. He is the product of the cosy appointments made in the IOM public sector and the chief protector of that culture. If Alf Cannan wants to bring about real change in the way our public service is run, he needs to embark on a process of change at the top and work down. I, like many others who wish him to succeed, will await developments with interest. 

A pretty good insight Joe, and quite damning too! 

I wouldn't know Will Greenhow if I fell over him, that's pretty frightening for a man holding so much power within a so called democracy. From what I can see, his fingerprints are on a lot of disasters which we have had to endure! He seems to call a lot of shots while wrapping himself in a bullet proof shroud! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, joebean said:

That really sums it up. Organisations tend to replicate the leadership, but here we have a leader who does not lead the service. Will Greenhow could walk the corridors of the Civil Service, outside of Cabinet Office and not be recognised by the vast majority of those who he is supposed to be leading. Invisibility is not part of any successful Leader's skill-set. Let's not forget either, that the Chief Secretary was a significant person in the appointment of incompetent CEOs like Black at DoI.

It is the Chief Secretary who line manages and protects the CEOs and reports on their performance to the CM. In all these respects he has been sadly lacking but getting hugely rewarded with taxpayer cash. What was his experience before joining the Civil Service here? I don't know but I suspect it didn't involve leading any large organisation. He is the product of the cosy appointments made in the IOM public sector and the chief protector of that culture. If Alf Cannan wants to bring about real change in the way our public service is run, he needs to embark on a process of change at the top and work down. I, like many others who wish him to succeed, will await developments with interest. 

Rewarded to the sum of 153k a year upwards . More than the PM of Britain. Insane amount .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

So, pay top dollar get top monkeys?

No.

Pay top dollar, loosely linked to UK system, to people largely promoted on parochial, time-served basis without any requirement to have served in any other environment.