Health

Ramseyboi

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

To be fair "overweight" is a bit of an iffy category. I'm allegedly overweight, at 6' and 85kg. But I have a 32" waist...

You only have to look at people when our and about.  Most are visibly overweight.

There are of course others who would be overweight by BMI but are obviously fit and athletic.

BMI isn’t a be all and end all measure, but you can tell as soon as you meet someone if they take care of themselves or not.

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

A very small step towards 'just a bit of weed'.

Most of the kids I know who started off with a Players No.6 then went on to smoke weed are either dead or well fucked up. But of course that is a whole new subject. Or maybe not.

We going to do this again? 

I have a couple of joints most evenings.  

I also ride to work a couple of days a week and go to the gym at least 3 times a week.  Usually some form of activity at the weekend also.   Ignoring my cheesecake addiction (probably related to the joints) I've got a healthy diet.  According to my Garmin, I burn off on average about 3,500 - 4,000 cals a day. 

Edited by The Phantom

3 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

You only have to look at people when our and about.  Most are visibly overweight.

There are of course others who would be overweight by BMI but are obviously fit and athletic.

BMI isn’t a be all and end all measure, but you can tell as soon as you meet someone if they take care of themselves or not.

Bodybuilders can be classed as obese according to BMI and often have minimal fat.  Ask them to run anywhere however... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zarley said:

With so many things being primarily accessible online these days (local banking where there are few branches these days for example) are you really going to moan about people having smartphones? Everyone I know who has an iPhone didn't buy it outright, they're on a contract. Smartphones, by and large, are a necessary evil today. 

And for families with school age children, an iPad or similar is also a necessity. How do you think online learning during lockdowns or self-isolation happens?

As for Sky, just because there's a dish outside someone's house doesn't mean they actually have Sky.

Maybe you might want to get a life rather than feeling hard done by because low income families might own modern devices needed in a modern world, or perhaps stay home and watch telly rather than going to the pub every night. 

I have a life thanks - it's called doing what the fuck I like without being told by a nanny state how to do it. Everything in moderation works well for me and my family

5 minutes ago, Peter Layman said:

I have a life thanks - it's called doing what the fuck I like without being told by a nanny state how to do it. Everything in moderation works well for me and my family

So you like to do what the fuck you like but you also like to bitch about other people having the (necessary) ability to get online - with the implication that they shouldn't be permitted to - if you deem their income to not be high enough?

Got it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Doesnt help than when you live on a budget you haven’t got a hope of eating healthy food.

4 hours ago, Zarley said:

Not a hope in hell! Inexpensive foods are usually chock full of preservatives, salt and sugar and otherwise processed to the hilt. 

If you pay attention to labels, you'll often find added sugar in the most unlikely (processed) foods. No wonder people tend to over-eat such foods, as sugar is addictive. 

Is fruit and veg (even tinned veg) so expensive in the IoM that it's unaffordable on a budget?

We decided to change our diet a few years ago and cut out almost all "processed food" and ready meals.  We also reduced our red meat intake* (to virtually zero) on health grounds.  We eat a lot of pasta, wholemeal rice, vegetables, pulses, tomato based sauces etc and oily fish.  Our expenditure on food has gone down dramatically and we feel a lot healthier for it.

My wife's got an app on her phone that tracks what we eat and apparently our diet is pretty good.  We tend to be over target in terms of the amount of protein we consume (a lot of different pulses and nuts, and cheese is one of the processed foods we still eat) and - to my immense surprise - we were deficient in salt!.  I have moderately high BP and had always assumed that we ate a lot of hidden salt (we certainly did before we changed our diet) but apparently we don't any more.  Our only sources of salt are bread, breakfast cereal and cheese so we now add salt to food - which we certainly never did before.

*Isn't meat the most expensive ingredient?  We've never noticed not eating it and we now tend to choose vegetarian options even when we go out for a meal.  I think the three best restaurant meals I've eaten were all vegetarian.  And the last two times I opted for a meat main course, I was disappointed and wished I'd chosen vegetarian.  (This is not to say that all vegetarian food is great.  There's one much lauded - by people who I assume are exclusively vegetarian - veggie restaurant near us where the food is by any standards pretty ordinary.  I'm just saying there's nothing to prevent properly prepared vegetarian food from being really good to eat).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

Is fruit and veg (even tinned veg) so expensive in the IoM that it's unaffordable on a budget?

We decided to change our diet a few years ago and cut out almost all "processed food" and ready meals.  We also reduced our red meat intake* (to virtually zero) on health grounds.  We eat a lot of pasta, wholemeal rice, vegetables, pulses, tomato based sauces etc and oily fish.  Our expenditure on food has gone down dramatically and we feel a lot healthier for it.

My wife's got an app on her phone that tracks what we eat and apparently our diet is pretty good.  We tend to be over target in terms of the amount of protein we consume (a lot of different pulses and nuts, and cheese is one of the processed foods we still eat) and - to my immense surprise - we were deficient in salt!.  I have moderately high BP and had always assumed that we ate a lot of hidden salt (we certainly did before we changed our diet) but apparently we don't any more.  Our only sources of salt are bread, breakfast cereal and cheese so we now add salt to food - which we certainly never did before.

*Isn't meat the most expensive ingredient?  We've never noticed not eating it and we now tend to choose vegetarian options even when we go out for a meal.  I think the three best restaurant meals I've eaten were all vegetarian.  And the last two times I opted for a meat main course, I was disappointed and wished I'd chosen vegetarian.  (This is not to say that all vegetarian food is great.  There's one much lauded - by people who I assume are exclusively vegetarian - veggie restaurant near us where the food is by any standards pretty ordinary.  I'm just saying there's nothing to prevent properly prepared vegetarian food from being really good to eat).

I agree with most of what you have said. Healthy food is no more expensive than cheap processed food. However, bread is generally high in salt, and pasta can be once cooked. Cheese is an ideal low carb snack. 

Red Meat is something that everyone should have, but in moderation. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cambon said:

I agree with most of what you have said. Healthy food is no more expensive than cheap processed food. However, bread is generally high in salt, and pasta can be once cooked. Cheese is an ideal low carb snack. 

Red Meat is something that everyone should have, but in moderation. 

Have you seen the price of cheese lately?

If you think that’s a perfect snack then you haven’t had to live on the budgets some people unfortunately do.

The cheese for a decent cheese sandwich costs about the same as 10 budget chicken nuggets or a massive plate of cheap frozen chips, or a whole cheap frozen pizza.

31 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

So is that the only error or is it only the most immediately obvious error?

Well it's so obvious that even the most cursory proofreading should have picked it up, which suggests there may be other subtler mistakes that also got missed.  But there do also seem to be other oddities with the sample and how it has been processed.  I've found the Data Annex, but it doesn't give the simple sample breakdown for demographics, though I might be able to work something out from the splits on various questions, though it isn't straightforward.

For example, the sexuality percentages based on tobacco smoking are Heterosexual 81%, Other 3%, Did not reply 15%.  But the DNRs might be those who didn't reply on sexuality or didn't reply on smoking.

39 minutes ago, Zarley said:

So you like to do what the fuck you like but you also like to bitch about other people having the (necessary) ability to get online - with the implication that they shouldn't be permitted to - if you deem their income to not be high enough?

Got it. 

Actually you have got nothing. Re read what I posted and you will see that I stated they had their priorities wrong. Is that really too hard for you to comprehend?

11 minutes ago, Peter Layman said:

Actually you have got nothing. Re read what I posted and you will see that I stated they had their priorities wrong. Is that really too hard for you to comprehend?

Food and the ability to get online are both priorities. Is that really too hard for you to comprehend? 

I just get fed up with people complaining about low income people having the necessities of life. Or having much of anything really, and certainly not anything nice or enjoyable. 

6 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

In fact if you go to any public place it is full of people who are clearly very unfit.  Nearly 70 percent of adults being overweight or worse is an appealing statistic with much bigger implications for the health service than a few COVID cases.

Doesnt help than when you live on a budget you haven’t got a hope of eating healthy food.

That's rubbish. Saying you haven't got a lot of money so you can only afford to stuff yourself with toxic food-type products is a cop out of taking any responsibility for your health.