Health

Ramseyboi

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

That reminded me of this picture from 3FM I saw before advertising a charitable donation made to the Foodbank. Guess which MHK doesn’t need to shop at the Foodbank? 

46609D68-E9C9-448F-9349-60F07CDD34FC.jpeg

Agree m, and I actually think there are less then 25 percent of them who are not overweight.

It is an appalling example to set when you consider the long term cost to the health service of the chubsters

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Agree m, and I actually think there are less then 25 percent of them who are not overweight.

It is an appalling example to set when you consider the long term cost to the health service of the chubsters

Well we have our minister Allinson a Doctor who could perhaps educate some of our portly population the perils of overindulgence and perhaps encouraging the usage of keep fit facilities (provided that they pay - no discounts). This would set an example. 

Curious point - Tynpotwald/Keys have a Chaplain and observe prayers (to keep the holy joe god botherers happy), do they have dedicated medical facilities, and a doctor?

5 minutes ago, 2112 said:

…could perhaps educate some of our portly population the perils of overindulgence and perhaps encouraging the usage of keep fit facilities…

Curious point - Tynpotwald/Keys have a Chaplain and observe prayers (to keep the holy joe god botherers happy)

Apologies for editing your post, but it neatly links to an idea I’ve had for a while. Many of the problems in adult health stem from lack of knowledge and bad habits acquired as a youngster. The same for over-reliance on health services for trivial problems that could be self-managed. 

My solution - scrap compulsory religious education, as it’s totally pointless, and instead introduce compulsory life/health education. Teach kids about health and wellbeing, how the body works, why it goes wrong, when you might need a doctor and when you don’t, teach them about diet and nutrition, and exercise. I know they do this a bit already - PHSE I think it is, but my kids found it to be a bit of a joke. Beef it up a bit, and start our kids off onto the right track to a healthy life. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

10 hours ago, wrighty said:

Apologies for editing your post, but it neatly links to an idea I’ve had for a while. Many of the problems in adult health stem from lack of knowledge and bad habits acquired as a youngster. The same for over-reliance on health services for trivial problems that could be self-managed. 

My solution - scrap compulsory religious education, as it’s totally pointless, and instead introduce compulsory life/health education. Teach kids about health and wellbeing, how the body works, why it goes wrong, when you might need a doctor and when you don’t, teach them about diet and nutrition, and exercise. I know they do this a bit already - PHSE I think it is, but my kids found it to be a bit of a joke. Beef it up a bit, and start our kids off onto the right track to a healthy life. 

I can well understand it in the bigger countries where the large corporates across a number of sectors have a vested interest in us eating poorly and becoming chronically unwell for life as it keeps the profits rolling in all round. However there is no reason why we can't be a little more radical here where we have the bandwidth to tinker with our curriculum to the benefit of the local population. 

On 11/9/2021 at 10:08 PM, wrighty said:

Add budgeting and mental wellness to the list and you've got a cracking curriculum. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Add budgeting and mental wellness to the list and you've got a cracking curriculum. 

Finance - definitely. And mental wellness goes hand in hand with the stuff I already mentioned. It’ll definitely be on the curriculum when I’m appointed king over here. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Finance - definitely. And mental wellness goes hand in hand with the stuff I already mentioned. It’ll definitely be on the curriculum when I’m appointed king over here. 

Thats what Stu Peters said on the radio as well

20 hours ago, HeliX said:

Also get away from the mentality that competetive team sports are the only worthwhile and healthy form of physical exercise. It too generates it's own set of long term health issues from injuries and wear and tear. Contact sports especailly.

What is needed is a mix of sustainable activities that changes as you age to reflect the different needs for strength, endurance, balance and flexibility. Range of motion, posture and core strength all protect us from the effects of ageing and have many secondary benefits such as improved circulation, cardiovascular fitness and stress reduction.

So instead of vanity projects like £1m skybridges, how about we start by maintining the facilties we have like the glens, footpaths, bridle ways and green lanes. Create simple, small picnic or rest areas and have wardens to keep an eye on the condition of the paths. A stitch in time and all that.

Or is that too simple?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Also get away from the mentality that competetive team sports are the only worthwhile and healthy form of physical exercise. It too generates it's own set of long term health issues from injuries and wear and tear. Contact sports especailly.

What is needed is a mix of sustainable activities that changes as you age to reflect the different needs for strength, endurance, balance and flexibility. Range of motion, posture and core strength all protect us from the effects of ageing and have many secondary benefits such as improved circulation, cardiovascular fitness and stress reduction.

So instead of vanity projects like £1m skybridges, how about we start by maintining the facilties we have like the glens, footpaths, bridle ways and green lanes. Create simple, small picnic or rest areas and have wardens to keep an eye on the condition of the paths. A stitch in time and all that.

Or is that too simple?

Do people have that mentality?

There is a lot of space in people’s lives for rugby, cricket and football.  Those sports have changed and moulded people’s lives for the better.  There are a lot of lifelong friendships that have been made on those pitches.

There are also loads of lives that have been changed through playing golf, snooker, table tennis, rifle shooting etc.

The glens and footbridges are fine - if the people who want to use them make an effort to clear and fix them rather than waiting for someone to do it for them 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Do people have that mentality?

There is a lot of space in people’s lives for rugby, cricket and football.  Those sports have changed and moulded people’s lives for the better.  There are a lot of lifelong friendships that have been made on those pitches.

There are also loads of lives that have been changed through playing golf, snooker, table tennis, rifle shooting etc.

The glens and footbridges are fine - if the people who want to use them make an effort to clear and fix them rather than waiting for someone to do it for them 

I don't think the poster was suggesting to do away with competitive sports. Rather to raise the profile of non competitive forms of exercise and well being which have just as much benefit on the human body as strenuous exercise. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Or is that too simple?

I would say team sports is massive. Getting away from things for a couple of hours on a saturday/Sunday enjoying the banter with your mates is a great release for many people. 

• Thanks 1