Health

Ramseyboi

25 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I would say team sports is massive. Getting away from things for a couple of hours on a saturday/Sunday enjoying the banter with your mates is a great release for many people. 

Don't think anyone is saying competitive/team sports should be done away with, just that there should be an equal emphasis on other means of keeping fit.

For example, IMO yoga should be taught in PE classes from primary school on up. It's a very beneficial exercise that most people - even those with physical challenges - can participate in and benefit from. It's a form of exercise that can be done well into old age, so the benefits are life-long.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Don't think anyone is saying competitive/team sports should be done away with, just that there should be an equal emphasis on other means of keeping fit.

For example, IMO yoga should be taught in PE classes from primary school on up. It's a very beneficial exercise that most people - even those with physical challenges - can participate in and benefit from. It's a form of exercise that can be done well into old age, so the benefits are life-long.

Self defence would be a very handy thing to be taught in schools.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Yep any form of exercise should be encouraged. There seems to be a trend of banning unhealthy things instead of promoting healthy living. I eat and drink loads of shit but balance it out by exercising. 

5 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Yep any form of exercise should be encouraged. There seems to be a trend of banning unhealthy things instead of promoting healthy living. I eat and drink loads of shit but balance it out by exercising. 

Yes and should be taught/encouraged from an early age. 

As for banning unhealthy things, multiple studies show that you get better results from positive reinforcement (such as teaching and encouraging healthy habits) than you do from prohibition and punishment (banning things and beating people with the stick of sugar tax). 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Do people have that mentality?

There is a lot of space in people’s lives for rugby, cricket and football.  Those sports have changed and moulded people’s lives for the better.  There are a lot of lifelong friendships that have been made on those pitches.

There are also loads of lives that have been changed through playing golf, snooker, table tennis, rifle shooting etc.

The glens and footbridges are fine - if the people who want to use them make an effort to clear and fix them rather than waiting for someone to do it for them 

Wow solved the problem of the DoI in one go there.... lets fix the potholes and clear the leaves from the gulleys and repaint the white lines ourselves? Why wait for someone else to do it for us?

Oh wait, we pay our taxes for that don't we? The fact that they'd rather fuck about with celtic art on the roads and neglect basic maintenance on the much vaunted Manx countryside.

The Department of Infrastructure is responsible for maintaining a right of passage along Public Rights Of Way. This includes maintaining stiles, gates and signing. If you have any problems contact the Rights of Way Officer on +44 1624 686665.

It's not like DEFA have a department for Hills, Forests and Glens.

There are 18 mountain and coastal national glens spread around the Island, preserved and maintained in a semi-natural state by the Forestry, Amenity and Lands Division of the Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture.

BTW I was saying competative team sports are not the only form of exercise and they get a lot of tax payers money to create and maintain facilities like the NSC, all weather pitches etc. Spending a small fraction of that on clearing footpaths and repairing a few wooden footbridges isn't just for the locals benefit but the much vaunted green tourists. And are very low on the carbon footprint too.

For example, there was a nice, simple, little wooden bridge in Ballure Walk which was lost to a storm or falling tree, it's been over a year and a half and there's still a skanky bit of temporary scaffolding.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Zarley said:

Yes and should be taught/encouraged from an early age. 

As for banning unhealthy things, multiple studies show that you get better results from positive reinforcement (such as teaching and encouraging healthy habits) than you do from prohibition and punishment (banning things and beating people with the stick of sugar tax). 

Hit the nail on the head there... they can't tax healthy habits.

Also the optic of a former health minister who looked like about as healthy as the Stay Puft Marshamallow man is hardly congruent with the message about healthier choices.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Hit the nail on the head there... they can't tax healthy habits.

Also the optic of a former health minister who looked like about as healthy as the Stay Puft Marshamallow man is hardly congruent with the message about healthier choices.

This, as well as encouraging the wider members of our 'health' departments to not look like prime examples of ill health. Why would someone take advice on how to look after their bodies from someone who clearly doesn't look after theirs. The past few GP's I've seen, albeit it was over a decade ago, one looked like they would have been classed as clinically obese and the other was out of shape, deathly pale and looked utterly depressed on death's door. 

Edited by Danoo
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Danoo said:

This, as well as encouraging the wider members of our 'health' departments to not look like prime examples of ill health. Why would someone take advice on how to look after their bodies from someone who clearly doesn't look after theirs. The past few GP's I've seen, albeit it was over a decade ago, one looked like they would have been classed as clinically obese and the other was out of shape, deathly pale and looked utterly depressed on death's door. 

Well my GP is a bit corpulent and I find it reassuring that they are not all body perfect and representative of society as a whole. Would you rather they are all like those teachers you see on exercise videos?

(That said I did find the cigarette he offered me a bit strong for my taste.)

• Haha 2

I'm surprised no one has yet brought up the alarming statistic that the majority of 18-24y/o feel highly lonely here. This is terrible if this is true!

Why do I find this more concerning than people deciding to eat too much?

What can we do to connect these young people together. I'm not surprised so many school graduates want to leave off to the UK as fast as they possibly can.

aa.png

• Thanks 3

12 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Oh wait, we pay our taxes for that don't we? The fact that they'd rather fuck about with celtic art on the roads and neglect basic maintenance on the much vaunted Manx countryside......clearing footpaths and repairing a few wooden footbridges isn't just for the locals benefit but the much vaunted green tourists. And are very low on the carbon footprint too.........

And while they are looking at a possible unit to deal with maintaining our Public Rights of Way, they really ought to also change the totally unhelpful basic green ''Public footpath'' signs to show the actual destination of the Footpath (where there is one) e.g. Public Footpath to Laxey, Glen Helen etc. Imagine if vehicle drivers faced signs that all only said: ''Public Road''! 🤬

Edited by Cassie2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Aislinn said:

I'm surprised no one has yet brought up the alarming statistic that the majority of 18-24y/o feel highly lonely here. This is terrible if this is true!

Why do I find this more concerning than people deciding to eat too much?

What can we do to connect these young people together. I'm not surprised so many school graduates want to leave off to the UK as fast as they possibly can.

aa.png

Wow, didn't realise it was such a high figure.

It may be a small thing but have you ever tried to meet with friends after 6pm here? Most adults will be working during weekdays and maybe weekends depending on their job.

All the cafe's are closed and unless you want to fork out for a meal somewhere then pubs and bars are the only alternative. And if you are under 18 even that alternative isn't a legal option. In summer, you can go for a walk and talk but midwinter what is there?

When the pubs are in decline, maybe it's time one or two of them tried an alternative. Or a cafe adds a few hours.

I also feel (much like we really ought to swap the names of credit and debit cards to reflect their true nature) we ought to rename 'social' media as asocial media. I see it all the time, couples and families sat glued to a screen while they sit having a coffee. Young kids more engaged with the games than the family and friends around them.

I look at the chart above and wonder if the high numbers on the left are as much a consequence of the millenials who've grown up with this technoculture.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Cassie2 said:

And while they are looking at a possible unit to deal with maintaining our Public Rights of Way, they really ought to also change the totally unhelpful basic green ''Public footpath'' signs to show the actual destination of the Footpath (where there is one) e.g. Public Footpath to Laxey, Glen Helen etc. Imagine if vehicle drivers faced signs that all only said: ''Public Road''! 🤬

At the glens, a few small information boards at the entrance wouldn't go amiss. You could indicate the route options and a short history of the glen for our green visitors.

And maybe, if we can create cycling tracks in the plantations, we could make a few accessible paths for those with mobility issues. Granted the terrain in a glen is not conducive to anyone who struggles with their mobility but even a few viewing/rest spots around the perimeter with level access from parking might be possible in a few places.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2021 at 7:47 PM, Ramseyboi said:

Agree m, and I actually think there are less then 25 percent of them who are not overweight.

It is an appalling example to set when you consider the long term cost to the health service of the chubsters

Hey Superciliousboi, I happen to be very good friends with one of the gentleman in that photo (certainly not Wannanburgh), and this gentleman does an enormous amount of wonderful work for the community.  Are you suggesting that only Aryan people of the Master Race should be photographed presenting money to charities such as these?