Health

Ramseyboi

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Bodybuilders can be classed as obese according to BMI and often have minimal fat.  Ask them to run anywhere however... 

Bodybuilders are usually the unhealthiest of people. The amount of meatheads in the gym whose stomachs sticks out further than their chests...

49 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well it's so obvious that even the most cursory proofreading should have picked it up, which suggests there may be other subtler mistakes that also got missed.  But there do also seem to be other oddities with the sample and how it has been processed.  I've found the Data Annex, but it doesn't give the simple sample breakdown for demographics, though I might be able to work something out from the splits on various questions, though it isn't straightforward.

For example, the sexuality percentages based on tobacco smoking are Heterosexual 81%, Other 3%, Did not reply 15%.  But the DNRs might be those who didn't reply on sexuality or didn't reply on smoking.

That's a comprehensive survey.

Just out of interest, how many on Manx Forums took part?

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

We going to do this again? 

I have a couple of joints most evenings.  

I also ride to work a couple of days a week and go to the gym at least 3 times a week.  Usually some form of activity at the weekend also.   Ignoring my cheesecake addiction (probably related to the joints) I've got a healthy diet.  According to my Garmin, I burn off on average about 3,500 - 4,000 cals a day. 

Well done you.

But I will remind you of my post:

"[tobacco] A very small step towards 'just a bit of weed'.

Most of the kids I know who started off with a Players No.6 then went on to smoke weed are either dead or well fucked up. But of course that is a whole new subject. Or maybe not".

49 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Food and the ability to get online are both priorities. Is that really too hard for you to comprehend? 

I just get fed up with people complaining about low income people having the necessities of life. Or having much of anything really, and certainly not anything nice or enjoyable. 

You really don't get it do you. It's nothing to do with low income. God knows I went through this with a young family to feed. The difference being we went without certain "luxuries" to ensure our children were fed with healthy food and not stodgy junk food.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Well done you.

Most of the kids I know who started off with a Players No.6 then went on to smoke weed are either dead or well fucked up. But of course that is a whole new subject. Or maybe not".

Isn't it the other way round? You start off smoking weed when young but end up smoking tobacco when you start going to the pub? That damn cannabis being the gateway drug again. Grr.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Danoo said:

That's rubbish. Saying you haven't got a lot of money so you can only afford to stuff yourself with toxic food-type products is a cop out of taking any responsibility for your health. 

Well said. Convenience food, instant gratification, too easy to order-in and too lazy to cook.

The CH4 series, 'Secret Eaters' was an fascinating exposé of the kind of  consumption-denial and wilful ignorance which causes obesity, hard-hitting and it pulled no punches. Hidden cameras following the subject's every mouthful. The final edit usually resulting in the subject doing the old, tears-for-the-camera bit on discovering the true amount of what and how much they put away every day.

There were complaints that the series exploited and victimised those 'suffering' obesity and made some viewers "uncomfortable" that it was tantamount to 'fat-shaming.' It made me wonder whether those to whom the programme was aimed at even bothered to watch it.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Danoo said:

Bodybuilders are usually the unhealthiest of people. The amount of meatheads in the gym whose stomachs sticks out further than their chests...

Frank Bruno, when he was at his fittest as a World class heavy weight boxer, was 6'1" and weighed just under 17 stones. That is clinically obese. 

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

Have you seen the price of cheese lately?

If you think that’s a perfect snack then you haven’t had to live on the budgets some people unfortunately do.

The cheese for a decent cheese sandwich costs about the same as 10 budget chicken nuggets or a massive plate of cheap frozen chips, or a whole cheap frozen pizza.

Yes. It takes about 30P worth of cheese to make a really good cheese sandwich. Put the butter on the outside of the bread cheese and some ketchup and dried basil on the inside, cook it in a frying pan, the kids will prefer it to your frozen pizza. 

If you can buy 10 nuggets, a plate of chips or a whole pizza for 30P, I stand corrected.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danoo said:

That's rubbish. Saying you haven't got a lot of money so you can only afford to stuff yourself with toxic food-type products is a cop out of taking any responsibility for your health. 

I think a lot of the problem is to do with education, not income. Kids aren't taught to cook basic meals anymore and therefore don’t have the skills to produce a simple nutritious meal from scratch using fresh ingredients. Their parents don’t have the skills to pass on and the schools don’t teach them. So we have at least two generations of people who have come to rely on ready meals and processed food, plus more families with both parents working and pushed for time to cook. Add in the proliferation of delivery and take away options and the fact that kids get ferried everywhere by car and on buses along with less time in the curriculum for sports and fitness and you have a recipe (😂) for an unhealthy lifestyle and obesity. When I was at school there was maybe one fat kid in each year. Now the ‘normal’ sized kid is the minority. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Yes. It takes about 30P worth of cheese to make a really good cheese sandwich. Put the butter on the outside of the bread cheese and some ketchup and dried basil on the inside, cook it in a frying pan, the kids will prefer it to your frozen pizza. 

May I suggest replacing the ketchup with Worcestershire sauce and the dried basil with dried oregano? Obviously a matter of taste but that would of appeal to me more. Sod the kids

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

I agree with most of what you have said. Healthy food is no more expensive than cheap processed food. However, bread is generally high in salt, and pasta can be once cooked. Cheese is an ideal low carb snack. 

Red Meat is something that everyone should have, but in moderation. 

Nobody needs red meat. Absolutely not

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Cambon said:

If you can buy 10 nuggets, a plate of chips or a whole pizza for 30P, I stand corrected.

You and I must use vastly different amounts of cheese.  A block that does me about 3 rounds of sandwiches is £3 something 😂

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Well done you.

We've been through this. 

Just because you know bums who smoke weed doesn't mean that weed made them bums.

😉

• Like 5