Health

Ramseyboi

Out of around a pound and a half of minced pork and ground beef (£4) bulked out with 2 finely-chopped white onions (70p), an egg, a cup of breadcrumbs, tomato puree, flour and seasoning, after half an hour's prep, 14 decent-sized burgers can be produced. Say £6 total cost. Cutting the patties in half makes 2 neat meatballs which when rolled in garlic salt and black pepper can be slowly braised in a basil and tomato sauce and served with pasta. Cheap as (oven) chips. Freeze and use as needed. Quite a few main meals done on the cheap. Nothing could be simpler. Just one example. 

Edited by quilp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

Frank Bruno, when he was at his fittest as a World class heavy weight boxer, was 6'1" and weighed just under 17 stones. That is clinically obese. 

Big difference between a guy at the top of his sport and some of the meatheads in Carrefour, for example. 

Addendum to Roxanes's post.

Wheat is commonly treated with glyphosate a few days before harvest (dessication). Glyphosate toxicity is very similar to celiac and other intestinal disorders, hence the growing "gluten free" produce section. 1 in 20 now gluten intolerant.

Seed oils are toxic (sunflower, vegetable, etc), causing inflammation in the metabolism leading to numerous issues, and have led to a massive upsurge in heart issues.

They are produced as an industrial process. The linoleic acid readily oxidises. Very high levels of omega 6. This leads to mitochondrial damage. It is in many products. Do not ingest seed oils.

Good oils are the saturated ones (yes). Suet/tallow, lard, olive, coconut, grass fed butter.

Avoid GMO corn/maize and soy products.

Seed oil reading:

https://chriskresser.com/how-industrial-seed-oils-are-making-us-sick/

https://theecologist.org/2014/feb/24/linoleic-acid-overwhelming-evidence-against-healthy-poly-unsaturated-oil

https://heartandsoil.co/how-seed-oils-destroy-your-mitochondria-and-lead-to-chronic-disease-with-tucker-goodrich/

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/are-vegetable-and-seed-oils-bad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

The Diet Myth: The Real Science Behind What We Eat https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1780229003/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8D6TMJJC4BWA1VV59RWH

This covers all the fat good/bad, carbs good/bad science. 

In summary - if you couldn’t pick it yourself or catch/kill it yourself then don’t eat it. 

Something that probably should have been obvious but surprised me recently was how much difference there was between calories and calories. That is, 500 cals of junk food vs 500 cals of unprocessed food. The unprocessed food is far less absorb-able so is effectively fewer calories, despite measuring up the same before you eat it. So whilst losing weight is just a case of eating fewer calories than you burn, it matters quite considerably which calories you eat.

2 hours ago, quilp said:

Out of around a pound and a half of minced pork and ground beef (£4) bulked out with 2 finely-chopped white onions (70p), an egg, a cup of breadcrumbs, tomato puree, flour and seasoning, after half an hour's prep, 14 decent-sized burgers can be produced. Say £6 total cost. Cutting the patties in half makes 2 neat meatballs which when rolled in garlic salt and black pepper can be slowly braised in a basil and tomato sauce and served with pasta. Cheap as (oven) chips. Freeze and use as needed. Quite a few main meals done on the cheap. Nothing could be simpler. Just one example. 

You appear to be assuming people can afford that up front cost, and that they have a fridge or freezer to store stuff in?

Some people don’t and have to buy stuff day to day with what is in their pocket and from spar because they can’t afford the bus to Tesco or M&S.

Mind blowing right?

It is a very inefficient way to buy food, but needs must.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Something that probably should have been obvious but surprised me recently was how much difference there was between calories and calories. That is, 500 cals of junk food vs 500 cals of unprocessed food. The unprocessed food is far less absorb-able so is effectively fewer calories, despite measuring up the same before you eat it. So whilst losing weight is just a case of eating fewer calories than you burn, it matters quite considerably which calories you eat.

Calories on food labels are worked out by literally setting fire to the food and measuring the heat output. 

Absorption depends a lot on gut bacteria too.  I’ve not yet finished reading the book, but the author was on R4’s The Life Scientific last week. A diverse gut microbiome is the way to go, and you get that by consuming 30 different plants per week, which is not as hard as it sounds when you realise all sorts of nuts and seeds count too (but probably not cabernet, merlot, shiraz etc, unfortunately)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

You appear to be assuming people can afford that up front cost, and that they have a fridge or freezer to store stuff in?

Some people don’t and have to buy stuff day to day with what is in their pocket and from spar because they can’t afford the bus to Tesco or M&S.

Mind blowing right?

It is a very inefficient way to buy food, but needs must.

@quilp being “confused” by this post, is the biggest indication of the difference between people genuinely struggling and people who have always had life on a plate I have ever seen.

What is confusing?  That is how some people live.

32 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

I like cheese, and am not overweight.

It is called common sense.  I over indulge in cheese but eat less of other things.  All good in the hood

Tsk-tsk! You should think yourself lucky. You do realise don't you that some people can't afford cheese and hearing someone nonchalantly boast about their over-indulgence in such luxury can make them very depressed. Some of them don't even have a hood to go to.

Callous.

2 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

What is confusing?  That is how some people live.

Don't lecture me on the in's and out's of poverty, mean streets and existential despair. Been there, done that, wore the stolen t-shirt. Unlike you, I don't wear it like a fucking medal. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, quilp said:

Tsk-tsk! You should think yourself lucky. You do realise don't you that some people can't afford cheese and hearing someone nonchalantly boast about their over-indulgence in such luxury can make them very depressed. Some of them don't even have a hood to go to.

Callous.

Don't lecture me on the in's and out's of poverty, mean streets and existential despair. Been there, done that, wore the stolen t-shirt. Unlike you, I don't wear it like a fucking medal. 

You did a confused emoji to a very simple post in response to yours saying people should buy loads of ingredients, bulk cook, and store it in their fridge?

Give your head a wobble.