A Plan

TheTeapot

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well no one said it was successful.  I mean if you can't bully Glover ...

I think Glovers version of bullying and what it actually means are probably very different. I'm very very glad I didn't vote for him. So far he has been the epitome of the term 'wet lettuce'.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I think Glovers version of bullying and what it actually means are probably very different. I'm very very glad I didn't vote for him. So far he has been the epitome of the term 'wet lettuce'.

Is he more of a wet lettuce than Moorhouse? Doesn’t bode well for South !

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

By Watterson certainly.  He was pretty frustrated over the last five years by this sort of tactic and similar 'clever' devices that the civil service were using to evade scrutiny (such as loading all the business onto particular Tynwalds, hoping that Members would get bored and nod things through.  That's why he introduced this Register of Business system, where non-urgent stuff was supposed to be published six weeks in advance to allow for political and public scrutiny.  It was to try to force the civil service to be more open and professional.

In practice what seems to have happened is that the civil service seem to think that anything they can't produce six weeks in advance (as this probably couldn't) can be shoved through without scrutiny and published as late as possible.  I suspect three or four weeks would have been enough to keep everyone happy this time but not three or four days and with the strange way the press release doesn't seem to have been released (though the media should have picked up from the Tynwald website anyway) all points to people trying to be 'clever'.

You'd hope they would learn from this, but not learning lessons while proclaiming you have seems to be a local speciality.

(Do we reckon the 'confrontational' Minister was Ashford?)

Maybe Ms Edge. I read on JMs fb page about a ”senior minister” saying she had had enough of talking masks. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Not Ashford's style quite possibly Hooper. When Hooper buys into something he goes balls deep.

Of course it could just have been Crookall trying to make conversation and Glover misinterpreting Crookall's normal volume for shouting.

It is quite surprising (or, of course, probably not 😎) that two of the last Government’s biggest critics (LH and JE) are now two of the greatest defenders as Ministers. 

Mssrs Moorhouse and Glover seem to have taken on those roles. Who can ask the most Questions. 

3 minutes ago, 747-400 said:

It is quite surprising (or, of course, probably not 😎) that two of the last Government’s biggest critics (LH and JE) are now two of the greatest defenders as Ministers. 

Mssrs Moorhouse and Glover seem to have taken on those roles. Who can ask the most Questions. 

Moorhouse had the prize already (just) - he managed to beat Hooper in the last Tynwald by 769 to 758.  Edge was a respectable third (634).  Of course Glover was literally paid to ask questions of politicians before he was elected, so you would expect him to continue doing so (which isn't to say he's good at it).

Both Edge and Hooper need to be careful about becoming too enthusiastic about defending their Departments - especially over historic decisions they had nothing to do with.  Civil servants won't hesitate to drop them in it if it saves their own skin and the information they get from them may be 'filtered' at best.  To some extent this may already have happened to Edge over the flumes and Hooper should realise that his relationship with Manx Care is more complicated than that of Minister and Department.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, 747-400 said:

Maybe Ms Edge. I read on JMs fb page about a ”senior minister” saying she had had enough of talking masks. 

It could have been KLB she replied in the comments and would fit the bill of being a senior minister. Given her department are behind the plan I could imagine she was a little annoyed.

• Thanks 1