Newson's on the Quay

Ramseyboi

I assume the outdoor area is the bit of grass on the opposite side of the road to the building. On the Ramsey Transport Interchange plans, that is where the bus refuelling rig would go. Maybe that project is still somehow alive.

(The Ramsey Transport Interchange was a plan for a  bus garage, with the MER tracks aligned so that it could be extended down the main street in Ramsey)

8 minutes ago, Kopek said:

...and it still can do. Just have to wait awhile while the democratic processes are worked through?

Yes, but we're lamenting the lack of venues or places closing, so the sooner the better IMO. Particularly as they've alreayd had it approved. Again only one side of the story, but it all seems a bit petty.

5 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I assume the outdoor area is the bit of grass on the opposite side of the road to the building. On the Ramsey Transport Interchange plans, that is where the bus refuelling rig would go. Maybe that project is still somehow alive.

(The Ramsey Transport Interchange was a plan for a  bus garage, with the MER tracks aligned so that it could be extended down the main street in Ramsey)

Perhaps and maybe this is where the opposition arises from. I do know one of the Commissioners there to at least see and acknowledge, will have to ask him next time we cross paths. He does seem a level headed guy so I'd be surprised if he's one of those in opposition (although he wasn't named as one when I was discussing it).

39 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I assume the outdoor area is the bit of grass on the opposite side of the road to the building. 

I appears to be so; here's the planning applicationIn the planning letter they claim that they won't be using any speakers or "initially" any lighting so that the hours could "perhaps" be limited to 9am to 7pm in Winter and 9am to 10pm in Summer.  But of course there's nothing to prevent them altering these at will or, if they are explicitly included in the condition, to applying to alter those later.

Which is exactly what they are trying to do in an associated planning application where, according to the Applicants Letter they want to change their licencing hours from the current ones (Sun 1000-1830; Mon-Thur 0800-2200; Fri/Sat 0800-2400) to a seven day a week 0800 - 0030.  This presumably applies to drinking, music and so on.

They make great claims of the tourism potential to this, though I suspect most coach and cruise ship parties are not wanting the extended evening hours and it is local groups who will take up the opportunity to party till late.  Effectively they're a bar in a residential area wanting late hours and, although they may be claiming that the seating area opposite won't be used that late, you can see how usage could spill over to there (even ignoring the odd situation of effectively having your pub garden area on the other side of a public road with presumably people going back and forwards with drinks etc).

I suspect all those pontificating about business being strangled would feel rather differently if a similar establishment was next door to them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

What's this got to do with Newsons?

The thread was originally set up for the planning madness that was the development of Newsons.  There was one for Cozy Nook too. 

Perhaps a thread generically titled 'Planning' or similar might be worth it. 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I appears to be so; here's the planning applicationIn the planning letter they claim that they won't be using any speakers or "initially" any lighting so that the hours could "perhaps" be limited to 9am to 7pm in Winter and 9am to 10pm in Summer.  But of course there's nothing to prevent them altering these at will or, if they are explicitly included in the condition, to applying to alter those later.

Which is exactly what they are trying to do in an associated planning application where, according to the Applicants Letter they want to change their licencing hours from the current ones (Sun 1000-1830; Mon-Thur 0800-2200; Fri/Sat 0800-2400) to a seven day a week 0800 - 0030.  This presumably applies to drinking, music and so on.

They make great claims of the tourism potential to this, though I suspect most coach and cruise ship parties are not wanting the extended evening hours and it is local groups who will take up the opportunity to party till late.  Effectively they're a bar in a residential area wanting late hours and, although they may be claiming that the seating area opposite won't be used that late, you can see how usage could spill over to there (even ignoring the odd situation of effectively having your pub garden area on the other side of a public road with presumably people going back and forwards with drinks etc).

I suspect all those pontificating about business being strangled would feel rather differently if a similar establishment was next door to them.

First things first, have you been to the premises?

This is a bar which is aimed at catering for a more mature demographic. They're not going to be out 'partying', it's a very sedate place and actually enjoyable to have a drink in. If it were a brewery pub or some typical bar, I may agree with you.

To extend to lighting or speakers they would need to re-apply as the permission granted wouldn't apply to these. 

Also it being a 'residential area' is up for debate. In reality they are near a handful of houses. A couple are nearby but most are a distance away. These people have had a chance to object but the original application has still gone through. The Methodist Church is the one just about completely opposite. This appeal is nothing to do with the residential aspect. 

I don't doubt it will be to the benefit of the locals. I have a friend who lives across the road from it and she's a regular. She's certainly not the type to 'party'. 

Regarding their opening hours, they are pretty standard for most bars and the likes of Bar Logo have these. Why shouldn't Fynoderee?

Edited by jackwhite
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Also it being a 'residential area' is up for debate. In reality they are near a handful of houses. Even those are a distance away. The Methodist Church is the one just about completely opposite. 

I’d agree with that it’s hardly a mature residential area and most of the housing that’s there isn’t that close. 

6 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I think the issue with it is that they started off a a ‘tasting’ enterprise and seem to have slowly evolved into licensed premises by stealth more than planning. 

There won’t be many who would object to that, but while the owner is spitting bile all over social media and inviting others to join them in bile spilling, the fundamentals of their application are being overlooked.

Ramsey Commisioners won’t be objecting to anything as such, they’re just ensuring that everything goes through due process. That’s what their job is. 

Roxanne, they have gone through due process. However now there is an appeal after they've done so. 

It was a distillery to start with and, like most in the UK, started out with a small 'tasting' area. Dependent on where you are, a 'tasting room' can vary from a small couch to a department store sized bar. They're fairly common in the UK and beyond. I think it's a good thing they've brought some modern day hospitality to the Isle of Man.

I don't think it was 'by stealth', I just think it was the best way for them to do things. It's also pretty much how most hospitality businesses grow as they try something to see if it works first, before committing to more spend. I know of at least one other venue on the Isle of Man which begun as a retailer only to develop into a sit in and drink venue now. 

Not only that but there was a ridiculous comment by one of the Commissioners that they were turning it into a nightclub. For anyone that knows the owners, I'm sure they find this idea ludicrous. 

10 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Which commissioner was that? 

And do you know who’s asked for the appeal? I’m guessing this is also part of due process? The right to appeal? 

Named here. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/bars-outdoor-seating-plan-discussed-at-commissioners-meeting-546901

Wouldn't say an appeal is part of due process. That's already taken place surely with the assessment of it. 

Maybe I'm being presumptuous assuming it's the Commissioners. It doesn't specifically say that. I had just assumed it was due to their opposition previously. So possibly not. Disappointing all the same. 

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/fynoderees-outdoor-seating-plans-delayed/

Edited by jackwhite

15 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Named here. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/bars-outdoor-seating-plan-discussed-at-commissioners-meeting-546901

Wouldn't say an appeal is part of due process. That's already taken place surely with the assessment of it. 

Maybe I'm being presumptuous assuming it's the Commissioners. It doesn't specifically say that. I had just assumed it was due to their opposition previously. So possibly not. Disappointing all the same. 

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/fynoderees-outdoor-seating-plans-delayed/

It isn't the Commissioners - details are on the planning website:

Online Services - Planning Application Details (gov.im)

It looks like the individual was an original objector - now getting a second bite at the cherry.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mistercee said:

It isn't the Commissioners - details are on the planning website:

Online Services - Planning Application Details (gov.im)

It looks like the individual was an original objector - now getting a second bite at the cherry.  

Thanks. To me that doesn't actually bring forward any new objection so don't see why it's being allowed. 

9 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Is this in addition to the other seven objections?

TBH - I’m not sure why the Commissioners are getting all the flack for this. This place had ample time to apply for change of use/ extension of hours, but appeared to leave it till the last minute, apparently thinking it would just be approved and when it wasn’t seemed to set off on a social media rampage against Ramsey and the commissioners. I don’t know the guy but he does seem to have form in throwing the blame anywhere but home.

The reason businesses apply early for planning  is to allow objections and appeals to be worked through. It seems to me as though this guy left it too late and is now heaping a lot of flack on the Commissioners who only appear to be following due process. 

One of the original objections as mentioned above. So don't see why it's being allowed. It's also full of spurious claims. The toilet thing seems contrived. It may be accurate and I'm not saying it didn't happen. Just the feeling I get from it that it's not true. Also laying it on thick with the grandkids. 

The original opposition from the Commissioners is OTT IMO. The nightclub comment makes them look ridiculous. 

If you mean the proximity to them wanting to open it, again not sure that's valid. My understanding is that they had long wanted to do this but only got indication it would be possible then immediately lodged their request.

Given the circumstances the best thing would be for the parties to get round the table and actually agree with the person what they think would be reasonable. Say 8/9 at night. Would he consider that ok? However it's the Isle of Man (and yes I know there's a process etc but it doesn't mean it's the right one) so I doubt it will happen. 

Reading that, as there's no new actual objection here, I don't see how it can be upheld as it's already been considered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

It was a distillery to start with and, like most in the UK, started out with a small 'tasting' area. Dependent on where you are, a 'tasting room' can vary from a small couch to a department store sized bar. They're fairly common in the UK and beyond. I think it's a good thing they've brought some modern day hospitality to the Isle of Man.

I don't think it was 'by stealth', I just think it was the best way for them to do things. It's also pretty much how most hospitality businesses grow as they try something to see if it works first, before committing to more spend. I know of at least one other venue on the Isle of Man which begun as a retailer only to develop into a sit in and drink venue now. 

The monthly 'tasting' nights at the Hooded Ram were legendary. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Jack, it’s clear you’re misrepresenting yourself as being independent in this.

Time to come clean? 

I am entirely independent. 

Other than being in hospitality and enjoying the place, I literally have zero in it.

The place I work is Douglas and unrelated to Fynoderee (we don't even stock it). 

• Like 1