Newson's on the Quay

Ramseyboi

• 1 month later...

The NPM is running this story this morning commenting how the current owner of the site, Kelproperties have launched a petition to speed up a decision and ge planning permission for the site. For the life of me I can’t understand why they are using Michael Josem of the Taxpayers Alliance? Have Keloroperties got something to hide that they launch a private petition, almost require special and preferential treatment, under the guise of being a ‘business’ run by a ‘businessman’, who we know that IOMG go weak at the knees for developers. I’m curious as to why a development company would require the services of a ‘spokesman’ from a ‘pressure group’.? 

14 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The NPM is running this story this morning commenting how the current owner of the site, Kelproperties have launched a petition to speed up a decision and ge planning permission for the site. For the life of me I can’t understand why they are using Michael Josem of the Taxpayers Alliance? Have Keloroperties got something to hide that they launch a private petition, almost require special and preferential treatment, under the guise of being a ‘business’ run by a ‘businessman’, who we know that IOMG go weak at the knees for developers. I’m curious as to why a development company would require the services of a ‘spokesman’ from a ‘pressure group’.? 

No. I believe they are just frustrated at the lack of progress. Some loony will be saying that the falling down building is of historical interest (which it is) but also that it should be preserved in its current dilapidated condition. Another cozy nook story. Idiots stopping development without having any stake in any alternative.

Chris Thomas is saying we should balance development with the preservation of historical buildings and heritage. No shit sherlock. He's found a fence to sit on. Man up Chris and give the planners a kick up the arse.

I am all for sympathetic and appropriate development but we need to be realistic, these old building have had their time. Take some photos and knock it down. Its an eyesore.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

No. I believe they are just frustrated at the lack of progress. Some loony will be saying that the falling down building is of historical interest (which it is) but also that it should be preserved in its current dilapidated condition. Another cozy nook story. Idiots stopping development without having any stake in any alternative.

Chris Thomas is saying we should balance development with the preservation of historical buildings and heritage. No shit sherlock. He's found a fence to sit on. Man up Chris and give the planners a kick up the arse.

I am all for sympathetic and appropriate development but we need to be realistic, these old building have had their time. Take some photos and knock it down. Its an eyesore.

Any idea who owned it before Kel properties?  The article states that they received an order to repair it in November 2021 and failed to comply.

Whilst newsons is of some historical importance, why are the sefton group allowed to let the castle mona rot to the core?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Any idea who owned it before Kel properties?  The article states that they received an order to repair it in November 2021 and failed to comply.

Whilst newsons is of some historical importance, why are the sefton group allowed to let the castle mona rot to the core?

The Castle Mona has sold - Tevir Group now own it although the previous owner did totally wreck it. The building was owned by Newsons before Kel wasn’t it? The thing I find funny in all of this is the MTAs Michael Josem who stood in Douglas at the last general election on a platform of building more affordable housing in Douglas now setting up a petition to develop the building where the MTA is registered for affordable housing. And he still maintains that the MTA wasn’t funded by Kel! Obviously if he had have got in he’d have been able to manage all this from the inside so that Kel got a good result!

4 minutes ago, Bandits said:

Douglas now setting up a petition to develop the building where the MTA is registered for affordable housing. 

So the newsons site is going to be affordable housing, well if thats the case crack on, I don't think it is though.

27 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

My comments were not relating to whether I think the building should be demolished, but the fact the property owner and presumably the ones developing the site, need the services of a chairperson of local campaigning group as its spokesman. Why can’t the Chair of Kelproperties get involved, why the need to hide? 

Whilst I have respect for Micheal Josem and the Manx Taxpayers Alliance, unfortunately Michael Josem is a somewhat polarising person, and some view his actions with suspicion. It’s leading to the case of more questions than answers, and who or what have got something to hide?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

So the newsons site is going to be affordable housing, well if thats the case crack on, I don't think it is though.

Affordable to those with more than £275,000, for a 2 bed apartment. Hardly going to be Lord Street flats, and can’t see them being aimed at FTB. I can’t see the new Duke Street Apartments being affordable rental flats either.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, cissolt said:

The Sefton Group sold the Castle Mona several years ago. It is now owned by the Tevir Group.

14 minutes ago, 2112 said:

My comments were not relating to whether I think the building should be demolished, but the fact the property owner and presumably the ones developing the site, need the services of a chairperson of local campaigning group as its spokesman. Why can’t the Chair of Kelproperties get involved, why the need to hide? 

Whilst I have respect for Micheal Josem and the Manx Taxpayers Alliance, unfortunately Michael Josem is a somewhat polarising person, and some view his actions with suspicion. It’s leading to the case of more questions than answers, and who or what have got something to hide?

If you are dealing with the nimbies, the spineless planners here, and are not called Dandara, you need all the reinforcements you can afford.

44 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

If you check out the Planning Application, under the REP section, you will see that there are some very well-known and influential folk, including an MLC, who are hell bent on stopping this development, and who really think that preserving an ancient, but unsafe, stone wall, is more important than building places for people to live.

https://services.gov.im/planningapplication/services/planning/planningapplicationdetails.iom?ApplicationReferenceNumber=22%2F00148%2FCON

If the Island is to move forward, we need to find a better balance between the needs of the wider population, encouraging investment and progress, and the whims of a few luddites and eccentrics, who want to preserve everything, regardless of whether it is really significant or important.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

The Newsons building holds zero historical importance, at least in the sense of enough to preserve it.  

Catalogue it if you must but get the diggers in and get it torn down so the new development can begin. 

Alf Cannan can talk about opening up planning system and streamlining developments all he wants, but things like this keep happening. That rat-infested derelict warehouse in Ramsey was on and off the protected buildings list - it's pointless. 

If you're going to raise money and buy the buildings to preserve them then that's great. But if not get your beaky noses out of other people's property (looking at you 'Victorian Society'). 

• Like 3