Newson's on the Quay

Ramseyboi

9 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

There is such a thing as astetic's, or would you be happy to see soviet style housing blocks come to the fore. They would be cheap as chips and you could really cram e'm in.

No, there's no such thing as 'astetics'. Sorry, it's my inner grammar nazi...

But it's lazy to rely on past glories which are now run down and beyond viable use. Imagine London, Liverpool or Manchester with no new buildings since the 1930's (if you're lucky). Of course I'm not suggesting soviet housing blocks (although the old Lord Street flats are pretty Gorbals) and anything new should be sympathetic or of architectural merit, but many of these old buildings are well on the road to dereliction and reflect badly on us all.

Edited by Stu Peters
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 7

Bye the bye, there was a bridge across the river close to the Tesco car park entrance, a vestige still exists just past Leigh Terrace. That set in,  was the South end.

leigh terrace.jpg

Edited by mollag
found an image
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 8:29 PM, Numbnuts said:

Well we got it in a prime site on Douglas Prom and look how well that went. In my opinion the ugliest building ever built over here.   

Now, there's a thread all of its own.

Are you talking about the Palace? Lloyds Bank (ex RBSI) on Victoria Street?

The flats on Withington Road would take some beating...

47 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

Now, there's a thread all of its own.

Are you talking about the Palace? Lloyds Bank (ex RBSI) on Victoria Street?

The flats on Withington Road would take some beating...

No the office block , formaly RBS , on the corner on the Prom. 

The one that for all intents and purposes looked like a copy of the Villiers, if one believed the pictures that adorned the hoardings. And low and behold the eyesore that appeared, even that shit they gave out it was supposed to represent the bow of a liner. Must of had a crystal ball. Are the DOI sneaking in the liner berth under the guise of harbour improvements, having to substancialy  alter it to accommodate the new Manx Man. I thought it was designed for present mooring, no mention of this when it was all over the news

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

The one that for all intents and purposes looked like a copy of the Villiers, if one believed the pictures that adorned the hoardings. And low and behold the eyesore that appeared, even that shit they gave out it was supposed to represent the bow of a liner. Must of had a crystal ball. Are the DOI sneaking in the liner berth under the guise of harbour improvements, having to substancialy  alter it to accommodate the new Manx Man. I thought it was designed for present mooring, no mention of this when it was all over the news

Yes , your right the concept plans that were plastered around looked nothing like what we ended up with. So so wrong but are planners and MHK's /CS have no shame. And so it goes on today with the statement about transparency but again no honesty when it comes to final result. And they wonder why so many people are apathetic about anything thats mooted. Ohhhh the Liverpool landing stage costs are going to really shake us all up in these difficult times. How many multi millions have been wasted on ill thought out schemes or complete cock ups and no correct watch on outgoings. Not changing ever in my life time I dont think as our last Treasury minister has now got the big ticket and despits sound bites he's not showing any signs of being any different. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Let's face facts. He has been a major disappointment  since taking on the mantle of chief minister. Sorry thats wrong, since he has been in government. Sitting quietly bidding his time, taking the acting CM shilling and not rocking the boat. The grey man. 

As much as this might pain Stu, I think all our ministers are the same. 

I often feel underwhelmed by some of the businesses on the Isle of Man and there are very few places where I'd spend significant time or money. 

At the weekend I was delighted to find somewhere that I'd previously not have gone into serving really high quality drinks. It was a place that didn't take itself too seriously but knows their target market and it was doing well. 

Sadly I feel Government is the same. There's the odd one that wants to make a difference but the whole setup is such that it's almost impossible for them to do so and things stay exactly the same. 

Interested to see that in the conservation areas in Douglas, where you can't replace a window without the permission of the Victorian Society, that the roads and pavements are being drilled up for fibre provision, with a hurried backfill of stark bright grey concrete and tarmac that sticks out like a sore thumb. It looks a right mess, a bodge job, surprised that they got permission for it.