Newson's on the Quay

Ramseyboi

Slow clap for DEFA and the planning committee. 

More glaring evidence that for some unknown reason, Govt seems hellbent on doing everything it possibly can to stifle development. 

When is someone organising a coup.  I'm available whenever. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Tidy Douglas up for feck sack.

It's a shite 'ole and looks shite along both sides of the harbour.

It's no better when you walk up to the shops.  I doesn't even look reasonable when you get to the 'cultural quarter' with it's asylum seekers semi inflated boat pavement installation and shut pub.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

More glaring evidence that for some unknown reason, Govt seems hellbent on doing everything it possibly can to stifle development. 

This does not seem that big a deal if looked at in isolation but in reality, the planning department on your island has/ is doing more than Putin to make sure you run out of money and residents in quick order.

WTAF do they think they are achieving by turning down private investment in a pile of rubble like that shithole?

Look at the stonework, its very small bits of scrap stone. It was not even decent when it was first built.

Decent buildings use large stone. You would think the planning department would know that...............

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Both Douglas Corporation and the DfE supported it but they seem to have given in to a load of Corpy moaners in the social housing block directly behind. So a load of benefit jockeys get to drive how our economy looks. You wonder why anyone bothers to invest in this island. How much longer is it now going to sit there looking like a complete eyesore? And how are we ever going to re-build our economy with senseless decisions like this? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

So planning was refused then and the developer has immediately put the site up for sale.

Can't see many wanting to buy that

Not when they see how badly the developer has been treated. Why would anyone buy a falling down building with no hope of ever getting planning to do anything with it. I despair. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

Not when they see how badly the developer has been treated. Why would anyone buy a falling down building with no hope of ever getting planning to do anything with it. I despair. 

Exactly it’s basically a worthless site if nobody can get planning over it. What’s the guessing Dandara get the approval to drop Lord St Flats across the road though and put up several blocks of luxury apartments. These guys can’t be paying the right people. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I don't understand what is going on here (par for the course). A few posts above I quoted two applications for this site - they were given approval in 2018/2019 to demolish the buildings. Maybe my superficial scan of the documents missed something.

If my memory serves me right the planning to demolish was usurped by a preservation order.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

So both sides of quay are filled with derelict buildings, unfinished sites by trafalgar, old bus station car park etc and just behind empty corporations flats, car 🚙 arks & Noas bakery!!

Yes it’s a shitfest and who in their right mind would want to go on risk to develop anything in Douglas the way the planning is being managed? We seem to like a broken dystopian landscape. Unless they’re now actively trying to create a whole pool of busted assets that the MDC can buy on the cheap and develop? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, x-in-man said:

It's no better when you walk up to the shops.  I doesn't even look reasonable when you get to the 'cultural quarter' with it's asylum seekers semi inflated boat pavement installation and shut pub.

Apparently Sit Norman's is to close for refurbishment soon. That should bring the area up.