Newson's on the Quay

Ramseyboi

38 minutes ago, Banker said:

Looks like any local with no experience can sit on planning & make these major decisions 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/planning/new-members-sought-for-planning-committee-565423

Many years ago someone who had had a planning application refused by the then committee, apparently said to one of the members, who was a postman;  "and what do you know about buildings apart from the size and shape of a letterbox". 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

Many years ago someone who had had a planning application refused by the then committee, apparently said to one of the members, who was a postman;  "and what do you know about buildings apart from the size and shape of a letterbox". 

It's okay Ashford is in charge, he's an expert on the universe and it's entire contents !

3 hours ago, asitis said:

The business pages of LinkedIn are awash with negatives about doing business here and the folly of this decision. The commentators are CEO, managing director type of level.

How the hell they are going to grow the population with vibrant, economically active young people with decisions like this is beyond me. Government are bloody stupid !

Which 'pages' are these? 

1 minute ago, jackwhite said:

Which 'pages' are these? 

Certainly a Business Development Director for a big international CSP posted about it expressing his dismay.  Lots of comments from similar level business people, MDs, Lawyers etc "I'm supposed to attract business to the Island and this is what we have to deal with" 

70 something likes.  40 something comments. 

Not a good look for the Isle. 

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Which 'pages' are these? 

To be fair there is quite a lot of negative feedback out there. I’ve been surprised by some of the comments on Twitter by quite well known business people. The timing is just terrible really only a week after they stood up in front of the public and gave it the big one about how open for business we are and about how brownfield development is a key aim of government. They’re basically full of shit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Certainly a Business Development Director for a big international CSP posted about it expressing his dismay.  Lots of comments from similar level business people, MDs, Lawyers etc "I'm supposed to attract business to the Island and this is what we have to deal with" 

That CSP brings a lot of foreign investors into the IOM as well. This sort of idiotic decision really does not help their business pitch at all when you have people from China or South Africa wanting to develop businesses here. You’d take one look at that and suspect that you were being conned about what a land of opportunity you’ve been told the IOM is. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

70 something likes.  40 something comments. 

Not a good look for the Isle. 

So the 'business pages' is one guy?

Any reason why people are reluctant to say who it is?

6 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

So the 'business pages' is one guy?

Any reason why people are reluctant to say who it is?

Well, one fairly influential, well known and respected guy.  BizDev Director so he is supposed to be well connected and visible to the business community here and abroad.  That one guy however has 30+ business leaders also responding and commenting in a similar vein.  He's even tagged Claire Christian in for her comments, but notes she quit at the beginning of the meeting.  Makes you think she maybe foresaw the outcome and wanted to disassociate. 

I know him reasonably well in and out of business circles.  Good guy. 

I've never really outed anyone on here and don't really intend to start now.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Well, one fairly influential, well known and respected guy.  BizDev Director so he is supposed to be well connected and visible to the business community here and abroad.  That one guy however has 30+ business leaders also responding and commenting in a similar vein.  He's even tagged Claire Christian in for her comments, but notes she quit at the beginning of the meeting.  Makes you think she maybe foresaw the outcome and wanted to disassociate. 

I know him reasonably well in and out of business circles.  Good guy. 

I've never really outed anyone on here and don't really intend to start now.  

It's not an 'outing' to name someone who has posted a public post on social media but each to their own. 

FWIW I use the platform all the time and still haven't seen the post. 

2 hours ago, asitis said:

It's okay Ashford is in charge, he's an expert on the universe and it's entire contents !

Unfortunately, not the universe the rest of us live in. 

• His is one where it is normal to shred letters very soon after receiving them.
  • Where £120k chewing gum removal machines make for photo opportunities
  • Where promises on point by point rebuttals don't have to be delivered on.
  • Where garlic is banned, and business can only be conducted after twilight and before dawn.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Steady Eddie said:

That CSP brings a lot of foreign investors into the IOM as well. This sort of idiotic decision really does not help their business pitch at all when you have people from China or South Africa wanting to develop businesses here. You’d take one look at that and suspect that you were being conned about what a land of opportunity you’ve been told the IOM is. 

It does. I quite admire that person as he’s fairly confident in expressing views that won’t go down well with government which we all know can be self limiting in the IOM. The LinkedIn thread is quite revealing by the number of posters being openly critical. Things have to change here otherwise it just makes the whole future economic and population strategies a joke. Even the DfE supported this and it’s still been killed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The planners/gov. go to extreme lengths to preserve certain buildings, but once they acknowledge that something new has to be created they totally loose their marbles. We have a Victorian promenade with aluminium lamp posts, pink concrete, and soon, some kind of offering to Fand, the fairy princess.

Not to mention old Laxey bridge that was replaced by two concrete beams with sheets of black plastic bolted on - a perfect example of "can't be arsed to do it better"  offset by a couple of Daleks that apparently "playfully reflect existing elements of the harbour".

The Salisbury building in Victoria Street is an attractive building (naturally taste is a matter of taste). But someone thought it worth the effort to construct it. I think it possible that at some time a preservation order may be put on it.

A few yards away is a new office. Is it attractive? Is it in context? In 100 years will someone want to put a preservation order on it?

And there is still Newsons - the downside of the planned development would be to demolish the old building, but the upside is that section of corrugated steel - which stands out like a sore thumb and has been there as long as I have been here - would be gone.

output_file.thumb.jpg.42c5307ba04b3a16fdad0797de754e5a.jpgoutput_file.thumb.jpg.647f9d15be3781e9ed63a1e19c3c9f70.jpgoutput_file.thumb.jpg.2be02a1949f28d4b2bd7aa471a18b754.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The planners/gov. go to extreme lengths to preserve certain buildings, but once they acknowledge that something new has to be created they totally loose their marbles. We have a Victorian promenade with aluminium lamp posts, pink concrete, and soon, some kind of offering to Fand, the fairy princess.

Not to mention old Laxey bridge that was replaced by two concrete beams with sheets of black plastic bolted on - a perfect example of "can't be arsed to do it better"  offset by a couple of Daleks that apparently "playfully reflect existing elements of the harbour".

The Salisbury building in Victoria Street is an attractive building (naturally taste is a matter of taste). But someone thought it worth the effort to construct it. I think it possible that at some time a preservation order may be put on it.

A few yards away is a new office. Is it attractive? Is it in context? In 100 years will someone want to put a preservation order on it?

And there is still Newsons - the downside of the planned development would be to demolish the old building, but the upside is that section of corrugated steel - which stands out like a sore thumb and has been there as long as I have been here - would be gone.

output_file.thumb.jpg.42c5307ba04b3a16fdad0797de754e5a.jpgoutput_file.thumb.jpg.647f9d15be3781e9ed63a1e19c3c9f70.jpgoutput_file.thumb.jpg.2be02a1949f28d4b2bd7aa471a18b754.jpg

Three good choices there which highlight how stupid the whole thing is. Salisbury Buildings is dire and there’s basically a river running down the back wall. But it will be another building left to rot because some idiot somewhere would rather have a wreck sitting there forever because of our ‘heritage’. I actually like the Plan.com building and think it looks great. But luckily Craddock has big pockets. It would certainly have been cheaper bespoke building in Braddan Business Park with better parking than doing a brownfield development there. It was massively over schedule in terms of its completion. But they stuck with it and I think it looks brilliant. 

• Like 1