Newson's on the Quay

Ramseyboi

21 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

I actually like the Plan.com building and think it looks great

Ah, a modernist. The only thing I know about architecture is from reading Tom Woolfe's book "From Our House to Bauhaus". Le Corbusier, with four white flat sides and one flat roof. Well, the plan.com building is black instead of white - but it still stands out like a sore thumb, especially from the bus station side. I guess that side will be hidden once that site is developed.

The glass face either reflects the opposite surroundings, which are not architecturally great. Or you see into the building. With desks up to the windows. And all the female employees sitting at their desks and flashing their Victoria Secrets gussets at you. Dreadful thought. (In case you think that is a little deviant, I have a vague recollection of something similar happening, somewhere, sometime).

Edited by Two-lane

1 minute ago, Two-lane said:

Ah, a modernist. The only thing I know about architecture is from reading Tom Woolfe's book "From Our House to Bauhaus". Le Corbusier, with four white flat sides and one flat roof. Well, the plan.com building is black instead of white - but it still stands out like a sore thumb, especially from the bus station side. I guess that side will be hidden once that site is developed.

The glass face either reflects the opposite surroundings, which are not architecturally great. Or you see into the building. With desks up to the windows. And all the female employees sitting at their desks and flashing their Victoria Secrets gussets at you. Dreadful thought. (In case you think that is a little deviant, I have a vague collection of something similar happening, somewhere, sometime).

I like Le Corbusier a great deal. I also like Victoria Secret gussets. What’s not to like about combining the two? 

20 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Dreadful thought. (In case you think that is a little deviant, I have a vague recollection of something similar happening, somewhere, sometime).

That was the Post Office conversion on Circular Road where they had to put opaque steps in on the floating staircase to stop bank workers looking up ladies skirts. Originally done by the Louis Group I think. 

21 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Certainly a Business Development Director for a big international CSP posted about it expressing his dismay.  Lots of comments from similar level business people, MDs, Lawyers etc "I'm supposed to attract business to the Island and this is what we have to deal with" 

70 something likes.  40 something comments. 

Not a good look for the Isle. 

Link? 

CM Cannan has been on the NPM bemoaning the planning committee. He says, we need to safeguard the islands past but also protect its future. Unfortunately whilst we can disagree with decisions made by the planning committee, the other choices will be to allow an automatic planning permission to be granted to whatever a developer wishes to build.

Then you can expect the Victorian Lobby, the Heritage Lobby, the MLCs, the ex Union ‘Leaders’ and social media to be in uproar. They will complain of lack of democracy, destroying our heritage and some will whinge if apartments are being built of the prices and they are not FTB. 

11 hours ago, Two-lane said:

The planners/gov. go to extreme lengths to preserve certain buildings, but once they acknowledge that something new has to be created they totally loose their marbles. We have a Victorian promenade with aluminium lamp posts, pink concrete, and soon, some kind of offering to Fand, the fairy princess.

Not to mention old Laxey bridge that was replaced by two concrete beams with sheets of black plastic bolted on - a perfect example of "can't be arsed to do it better"  offset by a couple of Daleks that apparently "playfully reflect existing elements of the harbour".

The Salisbury building in Victoria Street is an attractive building (naturally taste is a matter of taste). But someone thought it worth the effort to construct it. I think it possible that at some time a preservation order may be put on it.

A few yards away is a new office. Is it attractive? Is it in context? In 100 years will someone want to put a preservation order on it?

And there is still Newsons - the downside of the planned development would be to demolish the old building, but the upside is that section of corrugated steel - which stands out like a sore thumb and has been there as long as I have been here - would be gone.

output_file.thumb.jpg.42c5307ba04b3a16fdad0797de754e5a.jpgoutput_file.thumb.jpg.647f9d15be3781e9ed63a1e19c3c9f70.jpgoutput_file.thumb.jpg.2be02a1949f28d4b2bd7aa471a18b754.jpg

Spot on! 

20 minutes ago, cissolt said:

The report in the paper claimed that the government surveyor stated that the beams were not actually doing anything structurally?  It seems like the developer was trying to pull the wool over the eyes of planning?

But apparently Government asked for the supports to stop a dangerous structure collapsing!! Suggest they remove them & see what happens  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Two-lane said:

The Salisbury building in Victoria Street is an attractive building (naturally taste is a matter of taste). But someone thought it worth the effort to construct it. I think it possible that at some time a preservation order may be put on it.

A few yards away is a new office. Is it attractive? Is it in context? In 100 years will someone want to put a preservation order on it?

output_file.thumb.jpg.42c5307ba04b3a16fdad0797de754e5a.jpgoutput_file.thumb.jpg.647f9d15be3781e9ed63a1e19c3c9f70.jpg

I like them both.  

Salisbury is genuinely an interesting facade.  Who knows about the structure beneath however.

I've heard the Plan building has gone full millennial.  It's basically a grown-ups play park with desks.  It's replaced an 80s monstrosity if I recall.  Shame there is still that big gap next to Jubilee buildings though (that is a good looking building, especially with the lighting they installed). 

Edited by The Phantom

16 minutes ago, Banker said:

Going to be a shake up in planning, Newsons certainly needs appealing & likely to get permission 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/changes-to-handling-of-major-planning-applications-could-iron-out-conflicts/

Will be interesting to see if they can do something about the Newsons plan and if the developer still wants to play.

As I said this seemed to be very much the camel's last straw and there has rightly been a massive backlash.  The likes of which I don't recall ever seeing before.  Change for the future?  Shame current economics will probably be reducing a lot of developments for the next couple of years. 

• Like 2

There was someone on Mannin Line complaining about Alf getting involved in planning matters.  In the ordinary course of things perhaps  but these kinds of decisions really can have a significant impact on the future of the island.  

I reserve judgement on this particular decision until we see the detail, but it does at first appear contrary and putting the weight on preservation at all costs  rather than measured and  appropriate development.

• Like 3