Newson's on the Quay

Ramseyboi

24 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

MDC are buying up stuff.

The whole area around the nurses home is now in their hands with plans for a 100 plus houses........

Which MHK stood with this on their manifesto or when was this debated in Tynwald? 

Why does it need debating?  What MDC are doing is great news and there is a LOT more being planned.

There is some brilliant stuff set to come out of there in the next few months.

Unfortunately they will see objection after objection from the usual short sighted stuck in the muds.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Can you imagine how many wannabe property developers in the CS are now sitting well chuffed smoking a cigar thinking they are the new Dandara...............Between 9am and 4:30pm weekdays with their phones turned off at other times, just like the private sector do.

You clearly have no understanding of what MDC is at all.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

You clearly have no understanding of what MDC is at all.

Oh I really think I do....

Watch this space over the next few years.

ETA. Not a gov department? Really. Who is buying up property? Who are paying the contractors? I will give you a hint, its us taxpayers

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

I am sorry but why do we need another gov dept to start property development?

If the sites could be built on economically, one of the developers here would have done it already.

The MDC idea is a good idea but it shouldn’t be needed as the only reason why the likes of Summerland, or Park Road, or the old prison site are still empty after 10 years or more is generally our totally stupid planning department. So many developers have walked away from prime sites over the years because, like Kell Properties, it ends up that they simply can’t be arsed burning more money to get nowhere. So we now have a solution that really shouldn’t be needed. There is nothing wrong with any of those sites - the reasons why they haven’t been developed is IOM government itself and its useless civil services and idiotic planning criteria. The concern to me would be that the MDC now rocks up and ‘magically’ gets planning that other developers haven’t managed to get as it’s affiliated with IOM Government. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Oh I really think I do....

Watch this space over the next few years.

ETA. Not a gov department? Really. Who is buying up property? Who are paying the contractors? I will give you a hint, its us taxpayers

It’s a government department in the same way the Steam Packet is 😂

We are an exciting, new company, operating at arms-length from our sole Shareholder, the Isle of Man Treasury. We are here to make a long-term contribution to urban and brownfield regeneration on our beautiful, vibrant Island. We want to share with you how we intend to make a difference.”

Staffed by people who aren’t civil servants

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

It’s a government department in the same way the Steam Packet is 😂

We are an exciting, new company, operating at arms-length from our sole Shareholder, the Isle of Man Treasury. We are here to make a long-term contribution to urban and brownfield regeneration on our beautiful, vibrant Island. We want to share with you how we intend to make a difference.”

Staffed by people who aren’t civil servants

The bit you quoted is pure CS bullshit, you could not have made my point any better, thanks 🙂

Edited by Boris Johnson

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

Look, we should listen to the Victorian Society and all these preservationists, then we should tell them to fuck right off! They are great at making life difficult, preserving total shithole eyesores, holding back serious development and destroying the future of the island! 

We are in more trouble now Max, since the Queen died we will soon have the Elizabethan II Society who will want to preserve all the 1970s bungalows, never mind the Dandara estates.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Look, we should listen to the Victorian Society and all these preservationists, then we should tell them to fuck right off! They are great at making life difficult, preserving total shithole eyesores, holding back serious development and destroying the future of the island! 

The problem with role of the VS and similar organisations is that they have no 'skin in the game'.

They can just object endlessly with no consequences, no implications, no cost.

They can get every ancient building, or part of a building, whether it is significant or not retained. They don't have to buy them or pay for their folly.

They don't have to trade off "You can knock this down, but you have to keep this." 

Cannan is right. They are holding the Island back and something has to change. I, for one, hope that Newson's/Kell saga will be a watershed moment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The ‘problem’ here isn’t the planners or the planning committee both of whom are constrained by the legislation and the policies either in the strategic plan or relating to registered buildings and conservation areas.

The politicians can if they choose change the laws and the policies (or remove a conservation area designation) or change the criteria for what gets registered. They haven’t done so and it isn’t on the Island Plan to do so and might risk Biosphere renewal if they did.

But Alf banging his fist on the table in this case about officers not disapplying law and policy for rich people after the governance / rogue officers issues in Ranson isn’t exactly setting the right tone to lead the officers on a changed path. If he and and the rest of those Ministers want to change something then make it a priority instead of something else (rather than add it’s as another priority).

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ian rush said:

The ‘problem’ here isn’t the planners or the planning committee both of whom are constrained by the legislation and the policies either in the strategic plan or relating to registered buildings and conservation areas.

The politicians can if they choose change the laws and the policies (or remove a conservation area designation) or change the criteria for what gets registered. They haven’t done so and it isn’t on the Island Plan to do so and might risk Biosphere renewal if they did.

But Alf banging his fist on the table in this case about officers not disapplying law and policy for rich people after the governance / rogue officers issues in Ranson isn’t exactly setting the right tone to lead the officers on a changed path. If he and and the rest of those Ministers want to change something then make it a priority instead of something else (rather than add it’s as another priority).

To be fair, the planners didn’t follow their own rules and standing orders in the Newsons saga from what I’ve heard and it’s all going to come out in the wash.

• Like 1