Newson's on the Quay

Ramseyboi

21 hours ago, manxfisherman said:

The advantage of the MDC is that they could develop something the island actually needs whereas commercial developers build things that sell.

Sorry for the long post but I am off out and needed to say it all at once 🙂 

I have a very simple rule of thumb regarding our islands government's "policy's"

I look around the near islands and look around the wider worlds first world countries.

Can we find a similar government owned and funded (Forget the arms length bull, its a gov department staffed by civil servants) entity that is doing the same sort of property development ???   NO YOU CAN'T

I stand to be corrected but I Can't find a similar funded organisation with the same goals ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD

It may not be in competition with the big developers on the island, at the moment, but if it develops as normal gov departments do - expand to justify more staff, more budget and a bigger ego for some  higher CS, then it will at some point piss off the developers. 

As I said earlier in this thread, these brownfield sites, that no one wants to develop, are only not being developed because the gov/ landowners/ manx establishment/  think they are worth far more than they are.

The MDC,  LOOKS LIKE A WAY OF GETTING CERTAIN LANDOWNERS IN BOTH PUBLIC AND PRIVATE OWNERSHIP FAR MORE MONEY FOR THEIR LAND THAN IT IS ACTUALLY WORTH.

Calling @ChrisThomas,

Please explain why a "vibrant economy" like the IOM's is needs to resort to government run and bottomless funded  departments to develop Brownfield  sites?

In the UK such sites are either gifted or gifted with funds to develop to the private sector from local authority/ councils and the like.

That works and it stops things like the old summerland site sitting like a bomb site for decades, same with the old bus station site, same with the old prison site etc etc etc etc 

@Chris Thomas, why do you think a bunch of people in the CS with no commercial experience of property development, never mind actual building, will be able to do this better than the likes of Dandara, Hartford, Kell Properties and the like?????

Sorry again for the long post, I am off out

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Sorry for the long post but I am off out and needed to say it all at once 🙂 

I have a very simple rule of thumb regarding our islands government's "policy's"

I look around the near islands and look around the wider worlds first world countries.

Can we find a similar government owned and funded (Forget the arms length bull, its a gov department staffed by civil servants) entity that is doing the same sort of property development ???   NO YOU CAN'T

I stand to be corrected but I Can't find a similar funded organisation with the same goals ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD

Except you can. Not so far away. You are corrected. 

https://www.jerseydevelopment.je

Projects done in last 10 years.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/183f18e6-0701-408d-a13f-02536a3c59c9

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Like 1

Gosh yes, what a shock! Put the site up for sale after losing a planning application, they must have been so disheartened! Having slept on te matter, they've decided to appeal and fight on for the multi million development!!! 😈

They must have found some green paint to match the old Newsons colours!!! 🤫