Newson's on the Quay

Ramseyboi

That’s a great find. It’s worth overlaying two pictures 120 odd years apart to show the complete ridiculousness of this whole planning debate. So it was never repaired, the building to the side was braced, and the gap covered in shuttering for probably 50-100 years and yet it’s something we now still seek to preserve. It just shows you the madness of the IOM planners. Who on earth would want to invest into this island? 

4D965CEE-F2B3-406D-A4D7-FF8166CFC77D.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

The Josem planted caller on the Mannin line yesterday neglected to mention that kel properties application was refused due to conservation issues.  Did anyone confirm if the supports are actually doing anything or are they just cosmetic?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

The Josem planted caller on the Mannin line yesterday neglected to mention that kel properties application was refused due to conservation issues.  Did anyone confirm if the supports are actually doing anything or are they just cosmetic?

Just my view, bit I think bringing the need for the supports into the equation is just a deflection tactic by those who are trying to keep this monstrosity that no one wants. 

44 minutes ago, Banker said:

They also supported original application along with DFE

The main vocal supporting voice at DBC in this planning process is too close for comfort, always helps.

Irrespective of that, this should always have been granted planning.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

The main vocal supporting voice at DBC in this planning process is on the take, always helps.

Irrespective of that, this should always have been granted planning.

That’s a libelous thing to say & hopefully you can prove it if they take you to court 

On 12/17/2022 at 11:27 AM, Happier diner said:

Just my view, bit I think bringing the need for the supports into the equation is just a deflection tactic by those who are trying to keep this monstrosity that no one wants. 

Not really.

Kelproperties said that the building was falling down and needed the supports- that's why the road along the quay is still shut to traffic. The supposedly essential supports don't seem to be touching the building.

I don't see the point in keeping the building, it's of no architectural merit regardless of how structurally sound or unsound it is. But it is protected, wrongly, so there we are.

Kelproperties have bullshitted their way through the whole process, claiming that the disrepair means they should be allowed to pull it down regardless of the protected status. When asked, they were unable to demonstrate that they'd ever done any basic maintenance on the building. The planning inspector referred to this in their report.

As photos show, many of the supposed "defects" have been there for 100 years. Those "defects" make it an unattractive building, not a dangerous one.

As I've said before, rewarding developers for neglecting their buildings will simply result in more neglected buildings.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 9:32 AM, cissolt said:

Haha ha i heard him, I actually texted in and said that we all knew that the “young builder” was a Kelco plant 😂

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

Not really.

Kelproperties said that the building was falling down and needed the supports- that's why the road along the quay is still shut to traffic. The supposedly essential supports don't seem to be touching the building.

I don't see the point in keeping the building, it's of no architectural merit regardless of how structurally sound or unsound it is. But it is protected, wrongly, so there we are.

Kelproperties have bullshitted their way through the whole process, claiming that the disrepair means they should be allowed to pull it down regardless of the protected status. When asked, they were unable to demonstrate that they'd ever done any basic maintenance on the building. The planning inspector referred to this in their report.

As photos show, many of the supposed "defects" have been there for 100 years. Those "defects" make it an unattractive building, not a dangerous one.

As I've said before, rewarding developers for neglecting their buildings will simply result in more neglected buildings.

That's a bit of a circular arguement. It goes around but leaves the reader not knowing your view. 

I agree that the supports might have been a dodgy attempt to push it forward. However, even if it was, its kind of irrelevant because the pile of crap needs demolishing for 2 reasons

1. No one wants it anyway

2. It's a pile of crap and a blot on the landscape.

It's beyond a joke really, the whole debacle.

• Like 5