Newson's on the Quay

Ramseyboi

45 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I don’t see how it’s made any difference one way or another? Care to elaborate?

It's called political will. Where there's a means there's a way.

When you have your mouthpiece who spends most of their recent Island life berating everything the Isle of Man Government does where do you expect political will to try and overcome such issues?

14 hours ago, NoTailT said:

I was thinking that but opted to say I'd forgotten save myself looking like an idiot.

I only remember it because the Douglas Motorboat & Sailing Club had it for a few years and spent ages refurbishing it, opening up the rooms and making the floors level. I think the back part was about half a storey different from the front. Because my father was a member  I used to get dragged down with him to help. 

Edited by The Old Git

• 5 months later...

Anyone seen or heard any updates on this eyesore? I know @Chris Thomas promised an update. 

It's still there in it's embarrassing and sorry state. 

Should it not be the case that if planning is refused because the proposal doesn't meet the requirements of some dreamers that believe it should be restored to some former glory, but then none of the dreamers comes along to do such a thing, that planning should be granted to the original developer and their plan. This being on the basis that anything is better than nothing. Or should we just let places like the cosy nook and the Newsoms rot away for ever? 

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Anyone seen or heard any updates on this eyesore? I know @Chris Thomas promised an update. 

It's still there in it's embarrassing and sorry state. 

Should it not be the case that if planning is refused because the proposal doesn't meet the requirements of some dreamers that believe it should be restored to some former glory, but then none of the dreamers comes along to do such a thing, that planning should be granted to the original developer and their plan. This being on the basis that anything is better than nothing. Or should we just let places like the cosy nook and the Newsoms rot away for ever? 

https://services.gov.im/planningapplication/services/planning/planningapplicationdetails.iom?ApplicationReferenceNumber=22%2F00148%2FCON

Appeal in Progress

\oops, \newsons was not particularly pretty. \\\\\\\\\its only feature was the top floor hoist . That could be replicated in a new design.

The area has been modernised, not any reason this could not be so?

Politics, agrivation? Who knows?

Edited by Kopek

4 hours ago, Banker said:

Thanks, however doesn’t give details on when the appeal hearing will actually be to hopefully get this eyesore removed 

You're right, there is no indication of when the appeal will be heard, but there are dozens of documents to support the appeal. 

Masker, Guard and the other luddites have found an engineer who says the old warehouse, or whatever it is, can be saved. The owner's engineers say it can't. It seems to have become a bit of a test case for how much these people can interfere and frustrate other people's business and investment plans, and economic progress, in general. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Happier diner said:

That's exactly what shouldn't be done, because if developers know that planners have to give them whatever they want if the site looks bad enough, it will encourage them to litter the place with complete messes - with no guarantee that what they then build looks any better.  That's if anything gets built anyway - some of the worst eyesores (bus station site, 'town square' for example) have had planning permission for years or even decades without any improvement.

Alternatively introduce a law that parent are obliged to give their children whatever they want if they throw a big enough tantrum in public.  If you're going to reward bad behaviour, you might as well be consistent.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's exactly what shouldn't be done, because if developers know that planners have to give them whatever they want if the site looks bad enough, it will encourage them to litter the place with complete messes - with no guarantee that what they then build looks any better.  That's if anything gets built anyway - some of the worst eyesores (bus station site, 'town square' for example) have had planning permission for years or even decades without any improvement.

Alternatively introduce a law that parent are obliged to give their children whatever they want if they throw a big enough tantrum in public.  If you're going to reward bad behaviour, you might as well be consistent.

I never even insinuated that the developers had purposefully run down either building. I don't disagree with your point but you seem to have gone off at a tangent. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...