Newson's on the Quay

Ramseyboi

2 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

It is an old rowing boat by handed down story and myth was involved in smuggling so not exactly anything to be proud of.   Heaven knows how much has been spent on tarting it up and now the MHT has allegedly raised 3 million pounds by private subscription and are on the beg to Tynwald to give them another 3 million pounds of tax payers money to pay for a posh shed which will require upkeep and probably staff such as a cleaner and a guide to show the crowds of visitors an old rowing boat which, the story goes, was used long ago for smuggling.   The cheek of the people concerned leaves me breathless do they not know we are skint.    The Victorians had soup kitchens we have a food bank and homelessness, progress I don’t think so.

Totally agree, they should sell some of their assets to finance it 

5 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Heaven knows how much has been spent on tarting it up and now the MHT has allegedly raised 3 million pounds by private subscription and are on the beg to Tynwald to give them another 3 million pounds of tax payers money to pay for...

Well they were (probably deliberately) vague on this "MNH aims to raise at least half of the £6.1 million needed" & "We are making great inroads with generating our own finance, we said we would from the outset and we have been doing that, it’s important to note though that some of the commitments we have are completely reliant upon getting the rest of the funding [£3 million] and seeing that there is that political support."

So it definitely does not sound like they have £3m sitting in the bank, ready to go. Although even if they had, more fool the taxpayer for funding the rest.

edit, source : https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/with-video-new-museum-will-be-worth-the-money-631080

Edited by Mercenary

16 minutes ago, Banker said:

They’ve got plenty of assets left in legacy’s, sold something to fund part of Laxey wheel refurbishment 

Whilst they have a fair bit of cash in the bank, the rate of fresh legacies and donations suggests it'll take a long time to raise another £3m.

https://manxnationalheritage.im/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/MMNT-Financial-Statements-for-year-ended-March-2022.pdf

Edited by Nellie

4 hours ago, Nellie said:

Whilst they have a fair bit of cash in the bank, the rate of fresh legacies and donations suggests it'll take a long time to raise another £3m.

https://manxnationalheritage.im/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/MMNT-Financial-Statements-for-year-ended-March-2022.pdf

Presumably though any extra money raised would be specific for that project.  Charities/Trusts/individuals would be donating for the refurbishment of the Nautical Museum and housing of the Peggy, not generally to MNH's purposes.  That's why you often read of government money 'leveraging' or 'unlocking' other funds in such projects.  But if the project doesn't go ahead, the donations aren't made.

• 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Not been following this one, but who's the applicant developer here ? Is it being turned down for planning reasons or commercial opposition ? 

the face don't fit.

2 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

I don't think it's anything to do with that.

Don't agree with the decision but I don't think it's due to who it is. 

I've said for a long time that Kel's biggest mistake was appointing Josem as its mouthpiece.

• Like 1