Newson's on the Quay

Ramseyboi

5 hours ago, The Phantom said:

More planning chaos to come?

Derelict falling down building to be levelled and replaced.  How do we feel this will progress? 

https://gef.im/news/planning/plans-made-to-replace-north-quay-buildings-45705/

To me this highlights one of the major problems with our planning system. The proposal is submitted by a former Planning Officer who will know exactly how to set out the proposition to make it easier for her former colleagues to tick it through. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mistercee said:

To me this highlights one of the major problems with our planning system. The proposal is submitted by a former Planning Officer who will know exactly how to set out the proposition to make it easier for her former colleagues to tick it through. 

What exactly is the problem with pulling down some old/derelict buildings and replacing them with something useful?

• Like 4

There is 'Heritage' the appearance of which enhances what the island has to offer for both visitors and residents alike, and there is 'Heritage' which keeps areas looking like shitholes !

Our problem is planning are unable to make a judgement on the difference !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mongoose-Man said:

Good to see them being replaced but goodness, what a dreary design 🙄 

Better than than the dilapidated crap that's there now.

3 minutes ago, asitis said:

There is 'Heritage' the appearance of which enhances what the island has to offer for both visitors and residents alike, and there is 'Heritage' which keeps areas looking like shitholes !

Our problem is planning are unable to make a judgement on the difference !

There should be no need to make anything 'heritage' if it's not an actual museum or some kind of ancient church thing. 

It's 2024, build like it's the 21st century, not 1024 and we're all living in caves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Mongoose-Man said:

Good to see them being replaced but goodness, what a dreary design 🙄 

With so much of the countryside, a finite resource, being built on what is the point of a 3 story building 1/3rd of which appears to be a roof when you have a modern 5/6 story building alongside it? Literally a waste of space.

I'm not suggesting we build 20 storey tower blocks but by now we should have a minimum of 5 habitable floors on anything in a mixed residential/commercial district. FFS it's within an easy walk of Athol Street, CGO and Tesco and M&S is about 10 minutes away on foot.

And as for the former Corpy depot opposite Tesco on Lake Raod that is a criminal waste. That particular developer ought to be denied any application for greenfield sites until that site is developed. That might be a way to get some action on long derelict sites.

• Like 5

I spent a long (because of the storm) weekend in Dun Laoghaire a few weeks ago. Must be 30 years since I was last there to catch the ferry to Holyhead. What a fabulous town it is now - lots of ‘heritage’ areas (including the high street) interspersed with modern chrome and glass buildings in a perfect juxtaposition of styles. Admittedly they were probably funded by Brussels, but my Victorian hotel overlooked the best of modern architecture. It felt vibrant and alive.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I spent a long (because of the storm) weekend in Dun Laoghaire a few weeks ago. Must be 30 years since I was last there to catch the ferry to Holyhead. What a fabulous town it is now - lots of ‘heritage’ areas (including the high street) interspersed with modern chrome and glass buildings in a perfect juxtaposition of styles. Admittedly they were probably funded by Brussels, but my Victorian hotel overlooked the best of modern architecture. It felt vibrant and alive.

What's their Promenade like?

Is it a mish-mash of deteriorating paving, failed horse-tram routing, blobs of brightly coloured, out of place tarmac, non-descript crossing points and pink concrete?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/13/2024 at 10:52 PM, CallMeCurious said:

With so much of the countryside, a finite resource, being built on what is the point of a 3 story building 1/3rd of which appears to be a roof when you have a modern 5/6 story building alongside it? Literally a waste of space.

I'm not suggesting we build 20 storey tower blocks but by now we should have a minimum of 5 habitable floors on anything in a mixed residential/commercial district. FFS it's within an easy walk of Athol Street, CGO and Tesco and M&S is about 10 minutes away on foot.

And as for the former Corpy depot opposite Tesco on Lake Raod that is a criminal waste. That particular developer ought to be denied any application for greenfield sites until that site is developed. That might be a way to get some action on long derelict sites.

Aren’t Dandara building apartments on the land by Tesco, IOMG providing some funds to get this brownfield site developed. Same as Villers block and ocean castle site Port Erin.