Mr Speaker - Our hero

Ramseyboi

Dippy Daffy on the NPM this morning going on about holiday hunger and Foodbanks, in particular about schools being closed over the holidays so no school dinners (free for those who qualify). Well Daffy is a big shot now, so instead of waffling and handwringing, why doesn’t she take the initiative. Between all the experts on the poverty committee, the granny farmers and Mr Squeaker, why don’t they use community centres and do festive breakfast, lunch and dinners to those who tick the right boxes. I’m sure the MLP, Mr Squeaker, Rob Callister and Daffy won’t mind forgetting about their families over the Christmas period. After all, think of the future voters. 

I am not decrying the work of the Foodbank and they do good work, with well intentioned actions. Sadly I think some are somewhat manipulating them for their own political ends. Others are also bandwagon followers, using a big stick. 

Perhaps it would be better to open schools over the holidays periods, let them feed the kids (who actually qualify), maintain statistics and if it’s feasible, work out a simple system - breakfast clubs before school, supper with homework after school etc. The Treasury needs to get in first otherwise it’s going to be hounded forever by Daffy, Rob Callister and other minor politicos, and other serious issues affecting the island will never be addressed.

4 hours ago, Declan said:

You are pathetic. 

time to stop the family allowances and give them coupons for food instead of buying booze , on line gambling  and the 60 inch televisions with the full sky package , thats where the money is going and not into the  kids  bellies , 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

time to stop the family allowances and give them coupons for food instead of buying booze , on line gambling  and the 60 inch televisions with the full sky package , thats where the money is going and not into the  kids  bellies , 

Well I suppose that makes a difference from whinging about them being down the bookies,  smoking 60 a day and having a flat screen TV.

The answer to all this is easy.  Increase taxes but those of you whinging about the Politicians won't like that..

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Well I suppose that makes a difference from whinging about them being down the bookies,  smoking 60 a day and having a flat screen TV.

The answer to all this is easy.  Increase taxes but those of you whinging about the Politicians won't like that..

I wouldn't have an issue paying more tax except that we all know it won't be targeted and go specifically to those who need it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

I started the thread but haven’t read it all.

Have the Christmas cards been mentioned yet 😂

That’s in the Cret Thread.

Are the poverty committee sending the poor a Christmas card with some free cash (not theirs) to blow on frivolous things?

That's because we depend on these people and their philanthropy to keep the Island and its economy sunny side up. Allan repeatedly told us so, so it must be true. Best keep them sweet.

• Like 1

Manx Gas are asking the islands gas regulator to increase its prices again for a second time. 

It will be very interesting what Tynpotwald will actually do. Back Manx Gas’ request and stick two fingers up at islanders or reject the request and face the consequences, if Manx Gas fold as they can’t sustain profitability. Personally I can’t see our poverty squad doing but emote and handwring from the comfort of a nice warm Tynpotwald Chamber followed by a nice drink in a toasty warm social club next door. 

It will be a real test of skill, character and negotiating skills (if any exists). There is only so much money I’m afraid that Ashy will hand out in support to poor and low income families. Alf won’t be generous either as he and Ashy will be thinking of exchequer income revenue and outgoings. 

How long do you think Manx Gas would survive if they were forced to sell gas to customers at a lot less than they buy it?

The government could step in I suppose but do we really think we have any in the CS that are capable of running a gas company? Without massive and I mean Massive, cost to the taxpayer in general, and not just gas users?

8 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

How long do you think Manx Gas would survive if they were forced to sell gas to customers at a lot less than they buy it?

The government could step in I suppose but do we really think we have any in the CS that are capable of running a gas company? Without massive and I mean Massive, cost to the taxpayer in general, and not just gas users?

If MG were granted another price rise, then we will be facing another request in February, April, June 22 etc. It would never end, and MG would play our idiots off, and literally fleece them. Our politicos are first class idiots. If they hadn’t of wasted £millions on major infrastructure projects - the promenade and Liverpool we may be able to have spare funding to buy MG IOM and let MUA fuck it up like they did before, but at least it will be a Manx mess and the mess will remain on island, whereas MG profits go off island. 

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Manx Gas are asking the islands gas regulator to increase its prices again for a second time. 

It will be very interesting what Tynpotwald will actually do. Back Manx Gas’ request and stick two fingers up at islanders or reject the request and face the consequences, if Manx Gas fold as they can’t sustain profitability. Personally I can’t see our poverty squad doing but emote and handwring from the comfort of a nice warm Tynpotwald Chamber followed by a nice drink in a toasty warm social club next door.

You are pathetic 

• Haha 2