Mr Speaker - Our hero

Ramseyboi

10 minutes ago, asitis said:

Is it a competition, I'll go for David Cretney as the guess who !

Cret sadly hasn’t quite got over the fact that he is no longer an MHK or MLC. He chose retirement, but in realty he can’t help being the MLPs back seat driver. He must be the only retired MLC or ex Politico as the go to man for a view. He has his own column, and he regards himself as an expert on all things motorcycle sports. It’s funny how other retired ex politicos, who incidentally are involved in activities on the island, aren’t shouting their views endlessly in the press and on social media. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

Cret sadly hasn’t quite got over the fact that he is no longer an MHK or MLC. He chose retirement, but in realty he can’t help being the MLPs back seat driver. He must be the only retired MLC or ex Politico as the go to man for a view. He has his own column, and he regards himself as an expert on all things motorcycle sports. It’s funny how other retired ex politicos, who incidentally are involved in activities on the island, aren’t shouting their views endlessly in the press and on social media. 

Well it worked he got his daughter elected !

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

If I saw a homeless person I would give them food or buy them a drink. I wouldn’t give them money as it’s not helping them. 

Well it would if they used the money to buy themselves food or a drink or for any other purpose to improve their situation, however temporarily.

I think what you are saying is that you wouldn’t trust them to spend the money wisely.

30 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The poverty commission seems to be another pointless way of giving total idiots things to be responsible for. On what basis does Callister think that we should be exempt from having a Foodbank in the IOM? We have a very high cost of living in the IOM and many even not on benefits are struggling because of that. What is surprising in that? It shouldn’t hit anyone as a surprise. 

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/iom-should-not-need-a-food-bank/

Lots of homeowners/mortgage payers will definitely struggle if interest rates/mortgage rates increase as is likely to happen, to stem the tide of rising inflation. 

As I mentioned before many of those in this committee have in all honest, have decent well paid jobs (or came from well paid taxpayers funded public sector roles) to a greater paying role.

Some are from Political Royalty, so unlike some of their constituents, has never faced the choice of heating or eating, or worrying about the cost of living - food and essentials. Mr Squeaker another person from a comfortable position, university educated and a Chartered Accountant by profession but a professional politician all his life. Hardly someone to know what to do with a limited amount of money after paying off their obligations. From a man who would travel the world, attending conferences - whereas poor people have barely enough for a bus fare. It’s a bit condescending and insulting. It’s like the Chair of the England and Wales Cricket Board, offering to provide training on racial equality on the island.

There is an element of people who have fallen through the gap - some on jobseekers who have been sanctioned for failure to work, late signing on etc. Some have issues like addictions.

Throwing money at the problem won’t solve anything, and neither will grandstanding, electioneering or sloganeering. To me it seems this committee will get its orders or instructions from IOMNP Facebook crowd, and various people will be demonised or verbally abused. Particularly those who it’s deemed are comfortable and wealthy. I do hope I’m proved wrong, but if you look at the people on the committee, they are those who you would term, middle class, comfortable and wealthy. All that’s missing is the Bishop, another comfortable middle class expert, who should stick to ecumenical matters. 

Maybe a inter island poverty committee involving Doctors, Graih, Housing Matters, Education and those who know about the islands poverty issues. Perhaps they could come up the alternative and practical ideas. I could give one - second hand furniture being recycled, renovated and sold to people on low incomes (with unemployed people being trained in a skill). Perhaps we could train people to repair white goods - after all, many a politician repaired washing machines! These could be repaired tested and sold, aiming at low income households. Government are banging on about carbons, climate change and recycling, well let’s put it into practice, and help people out of poverty and giving them a purpose. One day they could be the next MHK for Onchan!

Edited by 2112
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Well I for one hope that the poverty panel of 5 MHKs on £60K a year each manage to work out the solution to poverty in the IOM. If like Callister they are all poverty deniers who can’t even understand why the Foodbank exists they’re all screwed really. 

I bet some of our elected and unelected  politicians have done bloody nicely through the years of rising property prices, enabling more flipping than pancake day. I bet some have traded up their homes and their homes are worth a pretty penny. How many cars do our politicos have? I would guess a minimum of 2, one for hubby and wifey and maybe a vehicle for the sprogs. They must have a great disposable income at the end of the month. The Peoples Prince was able to buy his threads using the proceeds of taxpayers funded expenses - if my memory serves me right. Perhaps poor people could be given clothing allowance for going to interviews, instead of trawling charity shops for MHKs cast offs.

Edited by 2112

20 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Well I for one hope that the poverty panel of 5 MHKs on £60K a year each manage to work out the solution to poverty in the IOM. If like Callister they are all poverty deniers who can’t even understand why the Foodbank exists they’re all screwed really. 

To be fair to Callister, I suspect he was just mouthing the usual platitudes about the Island ideally not needing a foodbank because everyone should have enough to eat in our caring and prosperous society etc etc.  I seem to remember he was in care for a bit of his childhood and so presumably may have some experience of poverty (and for what it's worth I think Watterson didn't come from a particularly wealthy background).

But the platitudes  (and a lot of the comments made above) rather misunderstand how foodbanks work[1] and what their job is.  They are not there to provide regular food support to people who need it.  Rather they are helping people cope with crises by supplying some food, either as a one-off or for a short, planned period.  They tend to discourage regular return visit or anything that might develop dependency on their services.  This means that people who keep on spending their money on drugs/alcohol and then expecting to be fed would end up disappointed.

It also explains why even in a well-off society, foodbanks may still be needed to some extent, because there will always be households without savings (or who have used them up) and a crisis can be triggered by all sorts of things when you are living on the financial edge and 'just managing': a car needing repair, a broken washing machine, a 27% gas price rise.  Even coming off benefits into work may cause problems because of up-front costs and a switch from weekly to monthly payments.

[1]  This isn't based on any current knowledge of how the IOM Foodbank operates other than what is publicly available, but on how foodbanks work generally in the UK.  Though from their website etc it appears IOM Foodbank's main aims are  to provide "crisis support in the form of food parcels to families and individuals in need" and "a support and action plan to help get beyond the crisis, and plan for a return to independence" in a similar manner.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

Lots of homeowners/mortgage payers will definitely struggle if interest rates/mortgage rates increase as is likely to happen, to stem the tide of rising inflation. 

As I mentioned before many of those in this committee have in all honest, have decent well paid jobs (or came from well paid taxpayers funded public sector roles) to a greater paying role.

Some are from Political Royalty, so unlike some of their constituents, has never faced the choice of heating or eating, or worrying about the cost of living - food and essentials. Mr Squeaker another person from a comfortable position, university educated and a Chartered Accountant by profession but a professional politician all his life. Hardly someone to know what to do with a limited amount of money after paying off their obligations. From a man who would travel the world, attending conferences - whereas poor people have barely enough for a bus fare. It’s a bit condescending and insulting. It’s like the Chair of the England and Wales Cricket Board, offering to provide training on racial equality on the island.

There is an element of people who have fallen through the gap - some on jobseekers who have been sanctioned for failure to work, late signing on etc. Some have issues like addictions.

Throwing money at the problem won’t solve anything, and neither will grandstanding, electioneering or sloganeering. To me it seems this committee will get its orders or instructions from IOMNP Facebook crowd, and various people will be demonised or verbally abused. Particularly those who it’s deemed are comfortable and wealthy. I do hope I’m proved wrong, but if you look at the people on the committee, they are those who you would term, middle class, comfortable and wealthy. All that’s missing is the Bishop, another comfortable middle class expert, who should stick to ecumenical matters. 

Maybe a inter island poverty committee involving Doctors, Graih, Housing Matters, Education and those who know about the islands poverty issues. Perhaps they could come up the alternative and practical ideas. I could give one - second hand furniture being recycled, renovated and sold to people on low incomes (with unemployed people being trained in a skill). Perhaps we could train people to repair white goods - after all, many a politician repaired washing machines! These could be repaired tested and sold, aiming at low income households. Government are banging on about carbons, climate change and recycling, well let’s put it into practice, and help people out of poverty and giving them a purpose. One day they could be the next MHK for Onchan!

Until the poverty committee and all politicians realise that the major problem facing society today is the growing gap between income levels of the well paid and not so well paid. It does not require rocket science to work out that an increase of (say) £10 per week in household expenses may be devastating for those on lower incomes, may be hardly noticed by those on the poverty committee and on similar income levels, but is a drop in the ocean to those on the higher pay scales. This is further exaccerbated by flat rate, across the board pay rises which simply increase the gap.

The problem is the ever growing gap between the income levels of those with the lowest household incomes and those above them. Until politicians grasp and address this fundamental point, the gap between the haves and have nots will increase exponentially giving rise to further social problems (and unrest) in the future.

With regard to Mr Callister`s glib remark about the Island not needing a food bank, he would do well to remember the old saying about mind in gear before opening your mouth. Not really what you want to hear from a high profile member appointed to a poverty committee, particularly by those who have to utilise the foodbanks. But then again, what do we expect?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If we're gong to throw money at the gargantuan edifice that is the government establishment/in-house electorate then I see no problem with providing those on low incomes with a better standard of living. Taking them out of the tax threshold would be a start

Treasury Minister Ashford appears to have sent a blunt message to Unlucky Alfred that his undeclared war against our system of social security will not be continued. Let's see what else he can come up with

• Like 1

I saw on 3fm news John Wannaburgh MHK Douglas North adding his two pennerth as to poverty, and claiming that the wolf is at the door for some residents. He was adding his view in response to the IOMG plan, and says action needed on Foodbanks and Fuel. In all honesty whilst he is trying to get down with the kids, and show he is sympathetic and caring, the symptoms of why people use Foodbanks need to be addressed. Secondly Fuel prices are impacting on everyone not just those on limited incomes, transport users, manufacturing, hospitality, and leisure which includes swimming pools etc. It hasn’t helped that Tynpotwald has been totally inept in standing up to Manx Gas, and they haven’t covered themselves in glory. 

• Like 2