Mr Speaker - Our hero

Ramseyboi

1 hour ago, finlo said:

There's no may about it!

It’s a given. No handwringing, wailing and emoting either or debating merely a vote for prices rises. Lots of crocodile tears will be shed, especially by those who only care about the votes rather than the voter. 

Like I have said previously if IOMG haven’t had been institutional financially wasteful especially on capital infrastructure, some funds could be used to perhaps cushion the blow of rising energy costs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, P.K. said:

Since when has it got to be sophisticated to be funny?

Talk about being right up your own...

One of the most famous / popular comedians ever was one Mr B Hill and I have to say his comedy was "not very sophisticated" to put it mildly.

Get someone to explain to you what the word "subjective" means.

It will certainly help you here...

Mr B Hill wasn't even funny at the time, unless chasing scantily clad women around a park to whimsical music hits your funny bone.  Mind you, I was more into Monty Python and Morecambe and Wise then. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Mr B Hill wasn't even funny at the time, unless chasing scantily clad women around a park to whimsical music hits your funny bone.  Mind you, I was more into Monty Python and Morecambe and Wise then. 

Comedy taste is subjective. I like Benny Hill, it was harmless humour of the time (maybe sexist, ageist, sizeist to some) but it wasnt downright racist and overtly rude unlike some comedy. Saucy, Slapstick, Bawdy and Seaside Humour yes, perfect for the time but not appropriate for 2021. 

16 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Comedy taste is subjective. I like Benny Hill, it was harmless humour of the time (maybe sexist, ageist, sizeist to some) but it wasnt downright racist and overtly rude unlike some comedy. Saucy, Slapstick, Bawdy and Seaside Humour yes, perfect for the time but not appropriate for 2021. 

@The Voice of Reason owes you a vote of thanks for trying to help him through this difficult time...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Oh dear. You’re not still smarting from losing our previous exchange are you?

Was that the one about you not realising that humour is subjective? That showed how far up your own you are?

It's just pathetic...

19 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Thanks Rox

I suspect I was on the grudge list long before now.

Perhaps I should view it as some sort of honour.

@The Voice of ReasonYou must have a very shallow life it you consider that an honour!

I don't have a "grudge list" - life is simply too short. I do have folks on "Ignore" but you have to be so full of hate you just can't help yourself to make it on to that list...!

Talking of humour I came across this the other day which I remember from when it was first broadcast. Paddy Mcguinness and Peter Kay in their motorhome on The Road To Nowhere. Here the duo wake up to find they're in London.

Warning - very blokey humour!

https://youtu.be/4iYCuGYDT5I 

4 hours ago, P.K. said:

@The Voice of ReasonYou must have a very shallow life it you consider that an honour!

I don't have a "grudge list" - life is simply too short. I do have folks on "Ignore" but you have to be so full of hate you just can't help yourself to make it on to that list...!

I’m sorry, I don’t understand your second paragraph. How do I qualify?

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 1:36 PM, 2112 said:

This isn’t now a case where one sector of society (poorer) was solely affected, but with now with a potential Tynpotwald sanctioned tariff rise, this will affect the whole of the island, both residential gas users and commercial businesses which use gas. As I stated before, if this boil isn’t lanced, then each Tynpotwald session will be dominated by Manx Gas and it’s antics. Can the island afford this form of blackmail? 

In the UK most of the Gas providers have a cheaper ‘social’ tariff for those on low incomes, and those in social housing and other rented housing, have pre-paid gas meters (unlike the IOM - Manx Gas will not fit them due to the cost, they prefer to charge £250 deposit for an account). 

Devils advocate here.

Do people who have more income not live in bigger houses?  Do those houses not use more gas? Are those people not actually impacted the same as people with smaller bills by a percentage price rise?